Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 10:35 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,673,116 times

Advertisements

My religious roomate, who attends a whole bunch of bible studies and other religious get togethers, left out a piece of paper that reads...

Name five people you peraonally know are unsaved.

I was the second one listed.

Firstly, unsaved from what? God? Death? The "afterlife"...whatever that is?

Secondly, at what point did it become acceptable to discuss my religious convictions (of which I have little/any) when I'm not even there to defend them? It's like I'm being judged by a group of people who hardly know me! Pretentious much?

Thirdly, if they must know, I'm not anti god. I'm anti humans trying to understand god. He/She/It is beyond my understanding. If he/she/it makes everything the way it is, I do not understand his/her/its rational. I gave up trying to. I've made peace with just living a moral life, as much as I know how, (with godly ideas mixed in), and hoping that that will be enough. If I did my best, how can god fault me for that?

Maybe I didn't do his best...but he/she/it is god after all...how could I have been expected to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 11:03 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
My religious roomate, who attends a whole bunch of bible studies and other religious get togethers, left out a piece of paper that reads...

Secondly, at what point did it become acceptable to discuss my religious convictions (of which I have little/any) when I'm not even there to defend them? It's like I'm being judged by a group of people who hardly know me! Pretentious much?

Thirdly, if they must know, I'm not anti god. I'm anti humans trying to understand god. He/She/It is beyond my understanding. If he/she/it makes everything the way it is, I do not understand his/her/its rational. I gave up trying to. I've made peace with just living a moral life, as much as I know how, (with godly ideas mixed in), and hoping that that will be enough. If I did my best, how can god fault me for that?

Maybe I didn't do his best...but he/she/it is god after all...how could I have been expected to?
Hello.... you are!! Thats all some of these sunday services are, especialy the hell fire and brimstone preacher types. A lot of these people go to these churches and just sit and gloat at the fact that they will live happily ever after while all us heathens burn in hell, enemies as your footstole, blah blah etc. etc.

They aren't ALL that way, but quite a few, in my experience.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:04 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
Don't judge him, tell him that you found the list and have decided to forgive him (you can mention that his ideas are not solely his fault). Also, let him know that it was a rude brainwashing technique and he shouldn't let it work; if God is so evil then you will forgive such a sadistic beast as well, since it likely has no control over its own nature.

Or just tell him you forgive him, and tell him you understand if he doesn't want to hear your ideas. Explain to him why you don't want it to happen again.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:26 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
From the statement of unbelief you probably are not saved , so take no offense as your room mate has given your name to God and is praying for your life , which is a good thing as God gives good gifts ... So let it go ....

Old 07-22-2012, 05:29 AM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Tell him that you actually ARE saved.

You are saved from going to church and bible studies.
You are saved from suffering through obligatory "praying" and "quiet times".
You are saved from having to read the Bible and having "devotions".
You are saved from having to read other "suggested" readings by Christian authors.
You are saved from having to go to weeklong religious "revivals" and weekend "retreats."
You are saved from having to worry about, or bother others about their eternal souls.
You are saved from having to go on "mission trips" and "church camps."
You are saved from having to participate in debates with atheists, evolutionists, and other Christians about the countless doctrinal controversies.
You are saved from having to give or listen to people blather on about their "testimony."
You are saved the church ladies and their potluck dinners.
You are saved from feeling guilty about your "sins" and worring about the "sins" of others.
You are saved from having to actually figure out what your sins were and repenting of them.
You are saved from constantly being cajoled to part with your money for everything from the "tithe" that you "owe" your church, whatever other money making schemes they confront you with.

Basically, you are saved from driving yourself crazy by trying to make sense of all this stuff.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:47 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
From the statement of unbelief you probably are not saved , so take no offense as your room mate has given your name to God and is praying for your life , which is a good thing as God gives good gifts ... So let it go ....
Good gifts? Like the plague of locusts, or the death of every first born child of a particular race? No thanks, he/she/it can keep the gifts.

You must say something to your roommate or it'll only get worse. Be understanding and cordial, yet firm.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:44 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,046,043 times
Perhaps you could find the other people on the list and start your own group - The Unsaved. Have weekly meetings on the Sabbath in your home directly after your roomate comes home from Church: a barbecue, some drinks, a movie, some games, etc. you know: fun! And when your roomate wants to join in the fun, simply tell him "I'm sorry - it's impossible for you to join our group. You are already saved. Unless you know of some way to get un-saved, I guess you'll have to sit in your room and sulk while compiling more passive-aggressive lists of people doomed to hell".

What an obnoxious roomate! It's quaint and cute on one hand, knowing that people are making lists of other people they worry about (?) and wish to save from what they believe to be the fires of hell; but on the other hand, it's an incredibly rude way of going about it - leaving a list of paper with names on it, listing them as essentially doomed and then leaving it lying about. Such a tactic is cowardly. If your roomate must resort to such methods, you might suspect that he's not very good at openly talking to people about it and must fall back upon passive-aggressive methods.

Moderator cut: prospective copyright

Last edited by june 7th; 07-22-2012 at 10:00 AM..

Old 07-22-2012, 09:23 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:

Wear your "unsaved" badge with honor!

Being "unsaved" means I'm not tied down by a completely irrelevant and patently absurd piece of man-made religious dogma and am free to make my own destiny!

Old 07-22-2012, 09:51 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,773,843 times
Quote:

Your Christian Roomate most likely has that list because he routinely prays over those list of names out of genuine concern and love so they can also experience the joy of knowing where they are going after this short interlude of life which is like a midst, then it is over. I cannot tell you why he put you on the list but after reading this post, you arent saved . The word 'saved' means that a person is not held accountable for their many accumulated sins whether willful or not planned . Its something that every Human Being needs because we are all born into Sin , that, is, being rebellious to the things of God, God himself, and making immoral self serving choices . This is the condition of Mankind. Gods global plan of salvation is to offer us a method to be reconciled back to God so we know we are forgiven and so we can know for sure that our next eternal residence will be with God and not eternally apart from God .

Getting saved is a free undeserved gift from our Creator and it is very easy to do if you choose to : Romans 10:8-14 NASB - But what does it say? . It IS totally based on what Jesus Christ has done and not on what WE can do or how 'good' we think we are. We dont have to be a murderer in order to be unsaved have a bad eternity... just living a life rejecting, mocking, distancing ourselves from God and how he wants you to live will do it. Many many people , perhaps sweet little ol women who raised a nice family and now bake cakes for the Homeless will die UNsaved from their many sins if they dont specifically get them taken care of by trusting Christs substituionary death alone because getting saved isnt based on anything we can do.

Now would be a great time for you at a young age to look into this further and explore the spiritual nature God has infused you with by attending a local Evangelical Church which may even have a Young Adult Singles Group for fun and making new friends who are like minded. Im not talking about getting into religiousity, but, im talking about a real personal dynamic life relationship with the One who gave up his life on a cross for you so you can be called a Child of the Most High God.

College age people is when these folks typically start getting deeply into immoral and dangerous lifestyles oftentimes suffering lifetime regret .; Gods plans are always better but its up to your Will and no one elses. Regards.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:54 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Y. Its something that every Human Being needs because we are all born into Sin , that, is, being rebellious to the things of God, God himself, and making immoral self serving choices . This is the condition of Mankind. Gods global plan of salvation is to offer us a method to be reconciled back to God so we know we are forgiven and so we can know for sure that our next eternal residence will be with God and not eternally apart from God .

Baloney. Sin is a transgression against a religious law. I don't subscribe to the religion, therefore I have not sinned. I have neither a desire for or need for your salvation. What you write is insulting to good people who do not believe as you do. You are in essences saying, "There is something wrong with you since you do not believe as I do".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality