Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 11:51 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times

Advertisements

When should a child be able to make their own religious decisions? At what age does individual conscience outweigh parental guidance? A UK judge has decided that a 10-year-old should be able to make that choice, despite objections from one parent.
“The schoolgirl’s divorced parents were “at war” over her desire to be baptised at the church her father, himself a convert, now attends. But at the end of an unusual case a judge has ruled that she is mature enough to choose her religion, and alongside his judgment wrote a personal letter to the girl explaining his decision.”

So, what do you think? How old should a child be before it gets to make his or her own decisions about religion? Would you let your Pagan child convert to a non-Pagan faith? When are they old enough to make their own decisions?

I would like to ask this of everyone when do you let your child decide to choose thier own faith? Pagans & Christians alike.

Question: When Do You Get to Choose Your Faith?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 01:13 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,830 times
I believe in freedom of choice. But at the same time, children can be too naive to understand what's really going on. So I would do a lot of talking and discussing first of all. And I would let her believe what she wants. But I would restrict her actions. In other words, if she believed she needed to go somewhere and do something (because of her belief), I would not let her if I thought it may be harmful.

I guess when she is 18, then she would have a freedom for actions

Old 08-06-2012, 03:48 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times
I have always had freedom of religion. My mother took me to Sunday school when I was young, but it let our 10 minutes late one day when I was 5, so I told her I didn't want to go back. And I never did.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:24 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,266 times
If you're brainwashed enough as a kid, you probably never come across this question which is exactly why all it all comes at an early age.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:50 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,469 times
I think it depends on several things. I don't think I'd want my 10-yr-old to start attending some church without his or her mom or dad or grandparents. Who knows what the adults of that church might be teaching him or her when family isn't around? So although they may be free to believe what they believe at that age, I don't think they should be free to go to whatever church they think they believe in at that age without their parents.

There is probably more I could say, but I've run out of steam.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:03 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Question: When Do You Get to Choose Your Faith?
Ideally at the age of 21 when you get to choose your first alcoholic beverage.

If it would be up to me, it would be illegal for children under 18 to attend religious services of any kind, including "prayer groups." I think we can make an exception for children who are still being breast-fed.

Choosing...

Mircea

Old 08-06-2012, 08:06 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Some might say that ten was a bit early but leaving it to after fifteen might be a bit late. Twelve might be about right, but kids now have questioning streaks long before then. My pal's daughter's son is eight and he asked me some pointed questions about Santa and I had to tell him...

Old 08-07-2012, 12:54 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
You narced out Santa? Damn!

I think that a child should be allowed to explore religion, the world, when they express an interest in doing so.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:39 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You narced out Santa? Damn!
I buy my own toys now, so I'm safe.

Quote:
I think that a child should be allowed to explore religion, the world, when they express an interest in doing so.
I agree. I rather like to treat kids as grown up as they want to be. It's the way I would have wanted to be treated as a kid.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:07 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
In Nations who are righteous before the Lord Jesus and tolerances to the faith in Christ prefer Jesus , then Jesus prefers that all children are dedicated or pre-baptized to the Lord Jesus , so God can have the authority to lead these young people to the right road were their salvation will be victory , as the parents would need to teach the children , pray and lead them in a path were they can find Lord Jesus and know Jesus and have a true witness of the Living God ....... It is only the liberal world that rejects the truth of Lord Jesus were control from man and His authority , will suffer the children to come to Jesus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality