Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 08:35 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,920,995 times

Advertisements

This… is very thought-provoking.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7420452n

Well, unless you don't like your thoughts "provoked", which is a common malady & disease state often seen around here!

Heaven forbid (and in this case, that's a "so to speak" irony...) that some precursor sugar molecules that are an integral part of our RNA's and DNA's fabrication, are floating about "out there", just waiting for one of several billion potential suitable environments (like, for example, a congealing gas cloud, incoming solar radiation, and so on...) in which to share, in the uncountable multi-trillions of events per hour, their now-established mutual sub-atomic particle and Higgs boson-initiated grav-attractions and known natural formative responses...

And, thus spake Zarathustra (with some literary license, I'll readily admit... );

.............................."Life arose!"

Oh... to even harbor such grave and Evil™thoughts! Silence him, Christian worker drone bees! String him up in the Public Square of Humiliation and Discipline!

Nope! Not this time! De Debil™ has His Ways!

(PS: and so now, as to the oft-stated and egotistically presumed superiority of man over the "lessers" (with an imagined fabricated link to His wooden God icons) there's also a follow-on video you might want to watch (with both eyes AND mind open...) about a faster-than-Usan Bolt robotic Cheetah! For now, it only gets up to a "mere" 28 mph (but obviously more coming later!), thus removing the yowling detractions about physical speed and mobility limitations of some future potential evolved successor to us primitive and badly designed hominids.

Just wait until I gets my new legs! (Hey: who says we have to evolve within our current organistic body limits? We're the designer now after all, and we can build on the evolution process any way we choose! stand back, old wooden God! Your days as Design Engineer, in which you so obviously failed badly, btw, are now officially over!)

"Life" per se simply means an ability to proceed unaided, to perhaps replicate, (just soz the species does not fade away...); no evolution necessary (but no doubt adaptively useful in the longer term..), and the ability to take in and process energy as required. Or not?

Like, you know, a bacterium, or a super future robot that takes over and makes us lesser humans into simple thought-free faith-based worker drones or has-beens, like a modern-day dinosaur.

Adam, relegated to the human junk heap following the arrival of "an i-Robot" that we inadvertently let out of the lab!

Last edited by rifleman; 09-09-2012 at 08:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 10:36 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,511,190 times
Well isn't that interesting. I'll have to keep tabs on this research. Thus so far my favorite hypothesis for earth's abiogenesis is that the sugars were cooked up on earth from there the RNA worlds hypothesis takes over from there. But the thought of the sugars hitching a ride on a asteroid or comet and surviving an impact to seed the earth is to me pretty plausible. So we'll see where it goes. Of course the same thought could be applied to any and all planets.

But to be honest Rifleman when I opened up the page....my eyes (terrible as they are) floated over to the other videos section....and Lo and behold.....Bionic eyes!. Of course I ended up watching this video first and was extremely pleased that they now have a very early prototype of a system that will restore (and in the end hopefully improve) eyesight. I know the research/prototype is in it's infancy and the prototypes can only allow someone to see crude shapes in black and white. But as someone who has 1. crappy eyesight that can't really be fixed by lasik, who is also 2. who is a rabid transhumanist, and 3. probably has about 30 to 50 years left to live on this planet to see this technology inevitably advance. All I could think when I saw the video was....................YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by baystater; 09-09-2012 at 10:44 AM..

Old 09-10-2012, 06:33 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,386,350 times
Sweet! (couldn't resist the pun)

Old 09-10-2012, 06:36 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
Yes, but everything has to be just right...or you wind up with caramel.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:50 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
If I can ask for you to explain it to me in hyphenated two syllables - Biochemicals exists in space and so do the building blocks of RNA? So there didn't need to be a primordial soup? Or is that just sci fi?

Old 09-10-2012, 01:24 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,386,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
If I can ask for you to explain it to me in hyphenated two syllables - Biochemicals exists in space and so do the building blocks of RNA? So there didn't need to be a primordial soup? Or is that just sci fi?
I think the primordial soup was just the elements (carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, sulfur, phosphorous) in a hot, aqueous environment with some lightning or UV to act as a catalyst... oh - and a reducing atmosphere (which prevented oxidation). Nothing too sci fi. I can see how that would be possible elsewhere, but yes, those things (elements, catalyst, and probably water, though my organic chemistry is a bit rusty) are needed to form biological molecules. What we don't know (yet) is if the sugars they found actually did contribute to the formation of RNA or something similar. The sugar is only part of it, since it also requires a phosphate and nitrogenous base. I look forward to seeing what else they discover in the future.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:59 PM

Default Bienvenue!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
I look forward to seeing what else they discover in the future.
Tu et moi, Eresh! Tu et moi! Just imagine what "they" (that'd be us Godless SyUhnTistós, neh?) will come up with next, huh? Mehbee even aboigenesis? I mean, since, after all, we have successfully & absolutely proven Evolution, rabidly denied however it might fervently be...

PS: I'ze been away for over 10 days, and I note that the doubting-denialists have not opened fire here! Why not? Mon dieu! Such a sweet topic to try to denigrate, after all!

(PS: I spent my last 10 days in bilingual Canada, eh? It is that obvious, non?)

Old 09-16-2012, 10:21 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,085,116 times
What would be the origin of these cosmic saccharides? Can sugars form without the Kreb's Sugar cycle?

Old 09-16-2012, 12:34 PM

Good question, Woodrow! But the Krebs is mostly responsible for the metabolism and management of those chemicals, not in their origination. Such simple molecules can (and obviously did! I mean, just look! There they are!) form up out there, without Godly hand-waving. It's all just a consequence of the predictable interaction of elements, other partially formed-up molecules, and time, heat energy and Higgs boson particle/waves a-tugging and a-pulling.

From then on, it's just a continuation of those predictable atomic and sub-atomic interactions, not so utterly complex as to defy logic. No magic required. No "life's soul" injected by anything or "anyone".

I just can't hardly wait to see what comes up next!

Old 09-16-2012, 12:40 PM

1,975 posts, read 1,941,965 times
another fatal injury to religion. pull religion's life support
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality