Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 12:06 PM

2,422 posts, read 1,450,473 times

Advertisements

I have two questions about common descent biology. I'll ask the first question in this post, because I want the best answers for both.

Question 1:

Do humans and trees share a distant common ancestor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 12:27 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,517,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
There's no trap here, just looking for answers to help me understand things a little better. I want to hear those who know a good bit about evolution and common descent on this forum.
I strongly suggest that you read something like "The Blind Watchmaker" by Richard Dawkins. It is very readable, even for the layperson, and totally explains how the wide diversity of life that we observe on this earth is possible with CUMULATIVE natural selection. The book will also answer your question.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:30 PM

Let me share a little about what I understand from the Bible. Evolution is definitely real, it's happening all the time. From a Scriptural standpoint, you can see it taking place since the fall of creation. Yet, there is no grounds for common descent in the Genesis account. I take those two subjects, evolution and common descent, as two different things.

So I believe in evolution, but not common descent. Again, I'm not laying any kind of trap, I just want clarification.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
I strongly suggest that you read something like "The Blind Watchmaker" by Richard Dawkins. It is very readable, even for the layperson, and totally explains how the wide diversity of life that we observe on this earth is possible with CUMULATIVE natural selection. The book will also answer your question.
I will look to read it one day, I'm not much for reading books however. I'm more of a writer. (So I'm not making any promises about reading it) Tell me your answer to my question.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:48 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,085,116 times
Quote:
I have two questions about common descent biology. I'll ask the first question in this post, because I want the best answers for both.

Question 1:

From a Theological view Yes as they both have the same creator. they can both be traced back to being a command of God(swt)

From a biological source it is possible but doubtful all life came from a single amino acid molecule.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:00 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,517,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
From a Theological view Yes as they both have the same creator. they can both be traced back to being a command of God(swt)

From a biological source it is possible but doubtful all life came from a single amino acid molecule.
Woodrow, there is ample and conclusive scientific evidence for LUCA, Last Universal Common Ancestor.

"In the study of early life on Earth, one name towers above the rest: LUCA. LUCA is not the name of a famous scientist in the field; it is shorthand for Last Universal Common Ancestor, a single cell that lived perhaps 3 or 4 billion years ago, and from which all life has since evolved. Amazingly, every living thing we see around us (and many more that we can only see with the aid of a microscope) is related. As far as we can tell, life on Earth arose only once.

Life comes in all shapes and sizes, from us humans to bacteria. So how do we know that all life has evolved from a single cell? The answer is written in the language of the genetic code

The genetic code is the language in which most genes are written into DNA. Such genes are recipes for making proteins. Proteins are what make the cell tick, doing everything from making DNA to digesting the food we eat and extracting the nutrients.

Incredibly, the exact same code is used in humans and bacteria, so a gene from a human being can be put into a bacterium, and the bacterium will make the human protein — this is how insulin is made.
The genetic code is universal for all life.

That the genetic code is universal to all life tells us that everything is related. All life regenerates itself by producing offspring, and over time small changes in the offspring result in small changes to the protein recipes. But because the recipes are written in the same language (the genetic code), it is possible to compare these recipes (and other genes) to build the equivalent of a family tree."

Source: What is the Last Universal Common Ancestor (LUCA)? (ActionBioscience)

Old 12-01-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post

I see. I believe you also answered my second question. Again, evolution definitely takes place, and there's a good case that can be made that evolution is present within Genesis. Yet it doesn't speak on common descent. My second question was why do scientists say that all life evolved from a common ancestor or a set of microbes? It should be easy to say that all life came from the same source, that all life share a single microbe ancestor.

The Bible says God created life, but He created many different creatures. These original creatures would be the ancestors of which all life evolved from. If science points toward different ancestors which all life evolved, then that would be in line with what Scripture says in a way. Of course a model for the Genesis account is not complete. (As far as I'm concerned. People get the bedtime story when Genesis is mentioned, but it is saying more than what we think it's saying)

Old 12-01-2012, 01:04 PM

75 posts, read 91,705 times
Quote:

Question 1:

This is an interesting question. It can be shown through gene sequencing that humans share a good deal of DNA with chimpanzees and gorillas. There is some solid evidence that modern birds descended from dinosaurs.
Molecular Analysis Supports Controversial Claim for Dinosaur Cells | Observations, Scientific American Blog Network

We have examples of living organisms today that seem to straddle the gap between vegetable life and animal life such as the euglena and slime molds.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how much credence to give the notion that all life on Earth descended from a single, primal cell. If a single cell could spontaneously emerge through chemical reactions on the primal Earth, I don't see any reason to assume that it took place only once and that only one cell emerged from which all other life descended.

But to be brief, I don't know the answer to the question, though it does seem possible that humans and trees do share a common ancestor some 3.8 billion years or so back.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:10 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,590 times
Quote:

Question 1:

Yes, they do. But it is quite a distant ancestor.

Most people know the human genome is almost 99% identical to the chimpanzee genome. But it is also about 70% identical to the genome of pumpkins. It's true.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:15 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,085,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
Woodrow, there is ample and conclusive scientific evidence for LUCA, Last Universal Common Ancestor.

"In the study of early life on Earth, one name towers above the rest: LUCA. LUCA is not the name of a famous scientist in the field; it is shorthand for Last Universal Common Ancestor, a single cell that lived perhaps 3 or 4 billion years ago, and from which all life has since evolved. Amazingly, every living thing we see around us (and many more that we can only see with the aid of a microscope) is related. As far as we can tell, life on Earth arose only once.

Life comes in all shapes and sizes, from us humans to bacteria. So how do we know that all life has evolved from a single cell? The answer is written in the language of the genetic code

The genetic code is the language in which most genes are written into DNA. Such genes are recipes for making proteins. Proteins are what make the cell tick, doing everything from making DNA to digesting the food we eat and extracting the nutrients.

Incredibly, the exact same code is used in humans and bacteria, so a gene from a human being can be put into a bacterium, and the bacterium will make the human protein — this is how insulin is made.
The genetic code is universal for all life.

That the genetic code is universal to all life tells us that everything is related. All life regenerates itself by producing offspring, and over time small changes in the offspring result in small changes to the protein recipes. But because the recipes are written in the same language (the genetic code), it is possible to compare these recipes (and other genes) to build the equivalent of a family tree."

Source: What is the Last Universal Common Ancestor (LUCA)? (ActionBioscience)
Interesting. I admit I have not taken any genetic courses since the 1970s. That was just tossed out as a possibility back then, but not probable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality