Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 12:39 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

Christianophobia » First Thoughts | A First Things Blog

There was a book written recently: Christianophobia: A Faith Under Attack

I haven't read it, but heard the author interviewed on the radio. He was actually quite balanced (he was a Christian, not surprisingly), saying that many Muslim societies in the past and today are quite tolerant and were more tolerant than Christian Europe was of other faiths.

Anyway, while it might not be the no. 1 biggest issue in the world today, I do agree that it does seem to go under the radar. Largely since Christianity and the West were so dominant, and themselves persecuted others, people seem to write off true persecution of Christians in places in Africa, the Middle East and Asia. Even in Europe, many Christians are derided by the mostly secular culture. Some might say it's 'payback', but what of the innocents caught up in all of this? While Muslims who are unfairly persecuted in the West have every right to complain, one shouldn't also be blind to the plight of Christians in places from North Korea to Iraq. It's a human rights issue, nobody should be persecuted because of their religion. I donate to Amnesty International, I do wonder if anything is being done about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 08:49 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Well, I'm a bit surprised to see no Christians on here but I'll add a few strings about it. I'd think they'd care about this issue.

I feel for anyone persecuted for their beliefs. As an atheist I can be hassled for not join a group so I do have compassion for others who just want to live their lives in peace. So much hate around, we humans will hopefully evolve soon and these will be signs of change and then the past.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:10 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
I feel the word "persecuted" is a bit melodramatic in this example (Christianity today) and that the word does an injustice to people who really have been persecuted for their beliefs. Not many people in the U.S. today, for example, are being legally arrested and tortured for their beliefs. Nor are their families being arrested and killed by burning, hanging, torture, etc.

I really, really think it does a disservice to those in the past and present around the globe who are literally being persecuted for their beliefs. I doubt there are many Christians wandering around the U.S., for example, terrified to go out their front door as they may be grabbed off the street and set on fire for believing in Christianity.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:28 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default I know: let's carve another wooden Jesus cross and prop it up over "there"!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Christianophobia » First Thoughts | A First Things Blog

There was a book written recently: Christianophobia: A Faith Under Attack

I haven't read it, but heard the author interviewed on the radio. He was actually quite balanced (he was a Christian, not surprisingly), saying that many Muslim societies in the past and today are quite tolerant and were more tolerant than Christian Europe was of other faiths.

Anyway, while it might not be the no. 1 biggest issue in the world today, I do agree that it does seem to go under the radar. Largely since Christianity and the West were so dominant, and themselves persecuted others, people seem to write off true persecution of Christians in places in Africa, the Middle East and Asia. Even in Europe, many Christians are derided by the mostly secular culture. Some might say it's 'payback', but what of the innocents caught up in all of this? While Muslims who are unfairly persecuted in the West have every right to complain, one shouldn't also be blind to the plight of Christians in places from North Korea to Iraq. It's a human rights issue, nobody should be persecuted because of their religion. I donate to Amnesty International, I do wonder if anything is being done about this.
Unlikely, Trimac . They have other priorities.

I for one see us humans all swarming around like a bunch of hornets coming out of a kicked nest, all righteously stinging each other with increasing technical ferociousness and frantically asserting theirs is THE religion that is correct.

Meantime, as a species we are definitely ruining the planet by our greed-based vast over-utilization and consumer-oriented plaguing of the limited resources on this planet. We're coincidentally and wantonly and thoughtlessly killing off the other innocents on the planet, from apes to leopards & cheetahs, to elephants & wolves to ecologically specific plants and fishes. And when the water's all polluted, the plankton blooms starving the water of oxygen, and the key ecological units gone forever, then oh my.. what will we all say?

Boo hoo?

But still... who gives a rodent's posterior? Certainly not the most of you. You will be arguing which God is the better, the more tolerant, the more kind and giving and respondent God. Which one deserves to be labelled "the most tolerant" one....

None of it is bleedin' likely, friends. He's simply not there, never was, never will be. But you'll have to see that for yourself I'm afraid, even though He's "refused" to show up ever.

How could "He"? How can a wooden icon God "show up", tell me that?

Old 11-18-2012, 10:25 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I feel the word "persecuted" is a bit melodramatic in this example (Christianity today) and that the word does an injustice to people who really have been persecuted for their beliefs. Not many people in the U.S. today, for example, are being legally arrested and tortured for their beliefs. Nor are their families being arrested and killed by burning, hanging, torture, etc.

I really, really think it does a disservice to those in the past and present around the globe who are literally being persecuted for their beliefs. I doubt there are many Christians wandering around the U.S., for example, terrified to go out their front door as they may be grabbed off the street and set on fire for believing in Christianity.
I'm not talking about the US I'm talking about places like Indonesia where Christians are sometimes killed for their beliefs.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:04 AM

1,974 posts, read 1,940,422 times
Christians in the U.S have no right to cry persecution

Old 11-19-2012, 10:30 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
^ Trimac just specified he isn't talking about the U.S. I don't know enough about the subject to really comment on it so sorry for having interjected initially, Trimac!

Old 11-19-2012, 11:07 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Persecution is very often an individual view. But typically any minority is going to perceive persecution by the majority. That may or may not be intentional persecution. I find that persecution is often an act of ignorance and not aggression. It is also common that the laws of the majority do not serve the needs of the minority and this too will be felt as persecution by the minority.

While deliberate persecution does exist, particularly religious persection, any nation that is predominately one religion will have laws that tend to discourge those of other faiths. I am an advocate of either abide by the laws of a nation or leave it at the first opportunity. If the laws of a nation prevent you from practicing your religion, you need to place your priority on choosing which is most important where to live or your Faith.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:46 PM

75 posts, read 91,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post

Yes, but what of Christians (and Jews for that matter) in Iran? The Copts in Egypt are frequently persecuted for their (Christian) beliefs. You cite only Christians in the US. What of those In North Korea, as the OP mentioned? No, in some locations outside the US, Christians are truly persecuted in the full sense of the word.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:08 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default Or....

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprask View Post
Yes, but what of Christians (and Jews for that matter) in Iran? The Copts in Egypt are frequently persecuted for their (Christian) beliefs. You cite only Christians in the US. What of those In North Korea, as the OP mentioned? No, in some locations outside the US, Christians are truly persecuted in the full sense of the word.
Is it even possible that some historical Christian demands and reactions have brought it on themselves? Just curious...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality