Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 12:06 PM

83 posts, read 435,499 times

Advertisements

Most people are born into a religion -- that is, they didn't actively choose their religion, but rather follow and subscribe to the religious beliefs that they were brought up to believe.

What makes you so sure that your beliefs are accurate and those of other religions aren't accurate? Were you around when these so-called religious events occured?

I don't understand how people can profess that Jesus, for instance, is the only messiah when in reality they probably have little if any understanding of other religions, but are merely following a set of beliefs that they were taught to adhere to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 12:15 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Originally Posted by alexiana
Quote:
How do you know your religion is true?
You don't, all you can do is follow your conscience.
My conscience just happens to resemble the philosophy of Jesus.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:23 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,437,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiana View Post
Most people are born into a religion -- that is, they didn't actively choose their religion, but rather follow and subscribe to the religious beliefs that they were brought up to believe.
This is true, but not everybody follows this pattern.

Quote:
What makes you so sure that your beliefs are accurate and those of other religions aren't accurate? Were you around when these so-called religious events occured?
In my religion we believe that all religions are a path to the truth, there is no right or wrong religion if they preach peace, love, compassion, forgiveness, wisdom, discernment, unselfish action, devotion, etc.

Quote:
I don't understand how people can profess that Jesus, for instance, is the only messiah when in reality they probably have little if any understanding of other religions, but are merely following a set of beliefs that they were taught to adhere to.
In my religion we believe the existence of enlightened beings who incarnated on this earth to help people find the way back to God and Jesus is one of them, there were those who came before and there were those who came after.

What I like of my religion is that it is scientific, it gives you techniques to experiment the pressence of God within you, I also like that it isn't opposed to scientific progress or theories (quite the opposite) that is based on personal experience and not on blind faith alone, that we don't feel the need to save anyone or see other religions or atheists as a threat, that there is no hell, it's phillosophy, and that the relationship is between you and God only, no churches no nothing, your body is your temple and there is where you should seek.

Regards!

Last edited by Travelling fella; 07-22-2008 at 12:51 PM..

Old 07-22-2008, 12:23 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,020,231 times
No one actually "knows"...many "believe". Tricky is right, it all has to do with your own conscience and psyche. Although most Christians will state that they "know" their beliefs are true, no questioning.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:32 PM

14 posts, read 34,100 times
Based upon what i have read in the bible and how the religion is supposed to be i choose to belong to a certain faith that i felt was supposed to be the "true" religion. It was not because i was raised to believe something blindly because that would be foolish, esp. since this could mean salvation or destruction(if you believe in that). In reality I could in the end be wrong, however just because i could be does not mean that i wont try to live my life with gods word as my guideline so that i have no regrets and making sure that i am not "Lukewarm" and instead being hot or cold...

Old 07-23-2008, 06:53 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,737,222 times
Faith

Old 07-23-2008, 08:32 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,456 times
Alexiana, some of your reasoning is false. People have a free choice and will to decide what is best for their own life. Yes we are heavily influenced by our parents, upbringing, schools, teachers...etc, but we still take what we gain and make a personal choice.

Some people do just the same things as their parents taking a follower role, but this was still their choice.

With me, my parrents are Christian and were very dedicated Church goers. I looked at many possibilities when growing up but realized in my early twenties that Jesus was the messiah and I wanted to study the bible. I took a one year survey of the bible and I am more dedicated and intense then where I came from. I guess you can say that I have become the fanatic.

But I have seen the opposite more times. Where families that I grew up with, with children attending the church. The children when they left home, left the faith. Many never to return. So the theory that you have does not hold. It is one arguement that I find many people try to use. But the logic behind it is false.

Now, the question still remains, how do I know that my religion is the "true" religion. I have looked at Christianity as a judge would look at a defendant in a court of law. The judge would listen to the examination of the defendant in question, and the examination of witnesses, and look at supporting proof to see if the witness is credible. This same method can be done with the bible.

First we examine the testimonies of the characters of the bible. We then value their witness of the events based on supporting documentation. For example when studying the life of Jesus we examine the accounts by Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. we then see if it possible for these men to be valid witnesses. For example Matthew would have a useless account of the life of Jesus in Israel if his entire life was spent in America. We can then discount his witness as an eyewitness account (of course this is not true, he is an excellent witness). We see if the places they talk about exist. That you can follow the course of their witness, ie. is it practical, or possible. We then look to supporting documentation like Josephus, who was not a follower of Christ but just a historian. We take all that we do know and if it is reasonable on what can be tested, then we say we must accept what cannot be tested. This would include the miracles that Jesus performed.

So, in all we judge then believe, but the faith we have is not blind faith, or does not have to be. Our faith can be the evidence of what we cannot prove but believe on an educated understanding of the facts.

With this approach I have come to believe based on the facts that the accounts written in the bible from Genesis to Revelation are true reccords of what they describe. The poetry is poetry, the history like Genesis is history. That Jesus lived and died and rose again. To the spiritual aspect of the bible we say we have faith that it is also true based on the exemplary witness of the people found in the bible.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:34 PM

148 posts, read 294,292 times
I hope this will answer you:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akdd0TNMCuA"

Old 07-23-2008, 01:37 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
It seems to me that a good amount of those born into a religion here in America tend to follow it only half-cocked until at some point in the future when they decide to fully commit.

I have many friends who grew up in a Christian or Catholic family, but never really followed either religion other then that they believed in God, Jesus, Heaven, Hell and that the Bible is a book; although they claim to be Christians or Catholics. You can't call yourself a Christian just because you believe in God and Jesus.

Quote:
What makes you so sure that your beliefs are accurate and those of other religions aren't accurate?
Ultimately, Faith. Keep in mind that one of the major tenants of Christianity is their belief that their are people out there who are going to try and lead you astray.

Quote:
Were you around when these so-called religious events occurred?
This question is ridiculous, although I can understand your reasoning for asking it.

Quote:
Like I said, many Christians and Muslims (Jews, too, I suppose) believe that they, and they alone are receiving the word of God, and that everyone else is a false idol with the intentions of leading you down the path of the dark side (which is kind of funny, because isn't it fear that leads you down that path? )

Old 07-24-2008, 10:30 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Religion has very little to do with truth, and more to do with faith. If you search for facts surrounding your religion, you rely more on facts than on faith, therefore losing the original intent of the faith.

So, I don't know if my faith is "true", only that it makes sense to me. I personally find it ridiculous for anyone to claim their religion as the "one true faith". Especially since there are so many faiths out there. Think of it like ice cream. So many flavours, but none of them can truly claim to be the "one true ice cream", right? So why do it with faith?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality