Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 10:34 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,201,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
There may well come a day or a moment of crisis, quiet or traumatic, when you realize just how very much you want to believe that God is actually there for you talk to also.

And in that same instant you may be horrified to think he won't listen or hear you because of all that "big city noise" and your prior choices to reject him.

But when that happens, my hope for you (and I mean this most sincerely) is that you will remember I said this to you - God loves you. He is always waiting right there, right next to you for an invitation into your life. Even in your last second of life on this earth it is not to late to reach out for Him.

Laugh or ridicule me now if you need to - but please remember I told you this!
I might wish there was something at that moment.
But I know it won't be true.

Go ahead and use that false hope of an afterlife to suppress the horrors of death.
I'm not saying it won't help in comforting you in your last seconds.
But it would still be a lie.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:11 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transmogrifier View Post
The Bible doesn't preclude the existence of other Gods. It does, in fact, confirm the presence of other gods.

Exodus 20:3 "You shall have no other gods before me."
It doesn't say there are NO other Gods it merely points out that he is the most important one.

Exodus 3:22 And the Lord God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.”
God himself says there are multiple Gods.
Precisely. Judaism wasn't even monotheistic until monotheism became trendy. Judaism started out henotheistic.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:22 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
I might wish there was something at that moment.
But I know it won't be true.
That's really a good point: All the foot stomping and whining incessantly that one specific God that someone is promoting is "the" one God is little more than reflection of hopes by flawed, scared humans. We know we cannot control our lives - nature won't brook with such arrogance - so we desperately cling to the idea that someone or something is looking out for us, monitoring and controlling nature. It's a lie many of us tell ourselves just to be able to sleep at night - just to shake free of the paralysis that oppressive fear would inflict on us.

Quote:
Go ahead and use that false hope of an afterlife to suppress the horrors of death.
I'm not saying it won't help in comforting you in your last seconds.
But it would still be a lie.
I too don't want to dissuade folks from using whatever fantasy they'd like to foster their own peacefulness - but when those false hopes are corrupted into rationalization for doing things in the public space that infringes on the benefits to others from make those decisions for themselves (i.e., making any part of our society operate in a manner whereby belief in one religious fantasy - say, Christianity - gains benefits, or belief in other religious perspectives, fantasy or real, is disadvantaged), then that has to be opposed. I'm all for Christians (in our society) being and living Christian, as long as they let Jews be and live Judaism, Muslims be an live Islam, Sikhs be and live Sikhism, Buddhists be and live Buddhism, Hindus be an live Hinduism, Unitarians be and live Unitarianism, Agnostics be and live agnosticism, Atheists be and live Atheism, etc., all benefiting from their participation in society in precisely the same measure as Christians.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:37 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,792,616 times
Quote:
And I'm not talking about similar gods from religions with similar roots.(Muslims, Christians, Jews)

I mean Gods like Ganesha, Ra, Quetzalcoatl, Thor, Zues, etc.

Why are they fake and your God is not?

Think outside your Western world box.

There's 7 billion people on this planet.. Some who live in remote areas and have never even heard of your God.
What happens to them?

I believe that over time God has revealed himself repeatedly, in ways that have been interpreted and reinterpreted to those to whom He made his revelations.

Tell me, my friend, do you speak to a two year old the same way you speak to an adult?

I believe that God acts indirectly, inspiring us, but leaving us with our free will. It is not His place to force us to take particular actions. Why else do you think He allowed the tyranny of medieval Western European Christianity to exist? Or slavery? Or the Holocaust? Think free will. And think how you as a god might deal with the dilemma of free will versus The Right Path.

That is why God continues to inspire us to seek and attain the next level. It may take another thousand years, but with any luck it will happen, just as God inspired the Reformation and the Enlightenment.

I believe your premise is false on the face of it because it assumes there really are multiple "gods" when there can be only one. Think elephant and the blind men. Perhaps you may begin to see.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:26 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
Quoting atheist scientist's books gets you nowhere.
They are just books.
Quote:
Nobody quoted a science book in this topic.
But if you insist.
Quoting and using information from a reviewed and established science book does get you "somewhere"

It got you the computer you're using right now.
It got you the meds you're taking.
It got you the building your living in.
It got you the food you eat. Without ammonia/nitrate crops couldn't be grown and half the world would be dead.

No "God" would save them
No God would build you a safe house with heat and plumbing.
No God would cure you.

I was hoping to get some good answers, but all I get is "because the bible says so" or "I know/believe/my heart"

And if that's the case then mods might as well close this.

No point.
There are plenty of examples of peer reviews books down through the ages in which the thesis of the scientist has proven to be false. So far you can't disprove the thesis in the Bible:
  1. God does not exist
  2. that God does not love us
  3. that God would not cure us
As to your first post, I don't believe in other gods because the God I serve is the one true God Who created all. So why go to lesser gods of wood, stone and metal?

Old 02-27-2013, 05:50 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I don't believe in other gods because the God I serve is the one true God Who created all.
So in other words, you cling desperately to the arrogant illusion that you can declare truth by personal fiat.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:05 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Nobody quoted a science book in this topic.
But if you insist.
Quoting and using information from a reviewed and established science book does get you "somewhere"

It got you the computer you're using right now.
It got you the meds you're taking.
It got you the building your living in.
It got you the food you eat. Without ammonia/nitrate crops couldn't be grown and half the world would be dead.

No "God" would save them
No God would build you a safe house with heat and plumbing.
No God would cure you.

I was hoping to get some good answers, but all I get is "because the bible says so" or "I know/believe/my heart"

And if that's the case then mods might as well close this.

No point.
To those that perceive "God" as the fount and essence of everything: God IS the computer...God IS the meds...God IS the buildings...God IS the food, the crops they came from, and anything used to help grow those crops. There is nothing that isn't God.

There are no "Other Gods"...God is whatever anyone perceives to be God.
That it doesn't fit the perception of God someone else has, is inconsequential...each has their own perception that is unique to them. There are as many different perceptions of God as there are people that have ever contemplated the concept...since no two will perceive exactly the same thing.
Also...you don't need to be "religious" to perceive God. Many perceive a "Creator", "Higher Power", "Great Spirit", or some other generic Source Entity, without any ties to religion.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
To those that perceive "God" as the fount and essence of everything: God IS the computer...God IS the meds...God IS the buildings...God IS the food, the crops they came from, and anything used to help grow those crops. There is nothing that isn't God.

There are no "Other Gods"...God is whatever anyone perceives to be God.
That it doesn't fit the perception of God someone else has, is inconsequential...each has their own perception that is unique to them. There are as many different perceptions of God as there are people that have ever contemplated the concept...since no two will perceive exactly the same thing.
Also...you don't need to be "religious" to perceive God. Many perceive a "Creator", "Higher Power", "Great Spirit", or some other generic Source Entity, without any ties to religion.
That's not god.
That's life.

Last edited by Alacran; 02-27-2013 at 06:50 AM..

Old 02-27-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
There are plenty of examples of peer reviews books down through the ages in which the thesis of the scientist has proven to be false. So far you can't disprove the thesis in the Bible:
  1. God does not exist
  2. that God does not love us
  3. that God would not cure us
As to your first post, I don't believe in other gods because the God I serve is the one true God Who created all. So why go to lesser gods of wood, stone and metal?
That's the beauty of science. It can be disproved if a better idea with proof comes up.

You can't prove bigfoot doesn't fly on a skateboard.

You're forcing me to prove that an imaginary thing does not do a certain thing.
Of course it's impossible.
We can do an experiment though.

Inject a population with the rabies virus.
We'll have a week before the virus sets in.

I use science and technology.
You use god and prayers.

We'll see which of the two populations survives.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:24 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
So in other words, you cling desperately to the arrogant illusion that you can declare truth by personal fiat.
In other words, you cling desperately to the arrogant illusion that you cannot disprove my position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality