Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 11:01 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finley01 View Post
I love it when I read something like the Ron Portman story:

Portman announced his change of heart in a Columbus Dispatch op-ed, revealing that his son’s coming out inspired him to rethink his views. Sen. Mark Kirk (R-Ill.) has since come out in support of gay marriage as well. Now his approval ranking in Ohio has tumbled by more than 10 points.

We still have a lot of bible thumpers who believe a man or woman who is born Gay can be cured of their sinning by their Christian faith.
Again, you are all over the place in this thread - what was the topic again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 11:21 AM

196 posts, read 115,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Again, you are all over the place in this thread - what was the topic again?
I only graduated from high school....never attended college. I don't know much about formal debates but I sure as hell recognize the difference in a fact and a lie.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I only graduated from high school....never attended college. I don't know much about formal debates but I sure as hell recognize the difference in a fact and a lie.
No one wants to debate you - at least I sure don't.

I am just trying to understand you!

You started this thread saying you were "sincerely curious" about wanting to understand what a lie is.

I took you at your word that you were in fact "sincere" and endeavored to engage you in conversation.

Subsequent posts showed an actual lack of sincerity on your part, especially now that you say
"I sure as hell recognize the difference in a fact and a lie".

So I'm still baffled as to what you hoped to accomplish with this thread.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
No one wants to debate you - at least I sure don't.

I am just trying to understand you!

You started this thread saying you were "sincerely curious" about wanting to understand what a lie is.

I took you at your word that you were in fact "sincere" and endeavored to engage you in conversation.

Subsequent posts showed an actual lack of sincerity on your part, especially now that you say
"I sure as hell recognize the difference in a fact and a lie".

So I'm still baffled as to what you hoped to accomplish with this thread.
If you don't recognize and understand the hypocrisy of the church and it's wealth while hundreds of millions of children starve or suffer from malnutrition I feel kinda sorry for you actually.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
If you don't recognize and understand the hypocrisy of the church and it's wealth while hundreds of millions of children starve or suffer from malnutrition I feel kinda sorry for you actually.
Nice try at deflection

If you "sincerely" wanted to discuss the wealth of the church and starving children just come out and say so.

Starting a thread saying you are "SINCERELY CURIOUS" about what a lie is, is disingenuous and misleading.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:12 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Only a liar would ask such a question.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Only a liar would ask such a question.
Only a hypocrite would fail to see the connection. It's not off topic and it's not a falacy....the church is about as close to taking care of the poor on this earth as they are to the moon. The Roman church began in about 350AD and has accumulated a vulgar amount of total holdings. Gold, Silver, Jewelry, Priceless Art...a whole city with a world wide reputation...their hypocrisy knows no bounds.

I assume you can make the connection of a lie to hypocrisy.

Last edited by Finley01; 04-22-2013 at 01:25 PM..

Old 04-22-2013, 08:56 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
What is a liar? One who knows what is true and on purpose says that which is not true.
Yes. That is an important distinction. When one is simply mistaken, then to call it a lie is uncharitable or even vicious. If one corrects the mistake and the bod is found saying the same thing subsequently, then 'Lie' is a bit more applicable.

Quote:
Only a hypocrite would fail to see the connection. It's not off topic and it's not a falacy....the church is about as close to taking care of the poor on this earth as they are to the moon. The Roman church began in about 350AD and has accumulated a vulgar amount of total holdings. Gold, Silver, Jewelry, Priceless Art...a whole city with a world wide reputation...their hypocrisy knows no bounds.

I assume you can make the connection of a lie to hypocrisy.
Ah. I see the point. the wealthy churches are 'living a lie' and therefore themselves fall under the term 'Lie'. Then it is taken that 'Lie' in that sense is also 'Lie' in every sense.

I'd say that being a Liar in the more generally accepted sense of knowingly talking falsehood is not the same thing as claiming to follow the example of Jesus while being possessed of staggering wealth through the earning power of religion. No more than it is applicable to someone who is sincerely mistaken, nor indeed to someone who does not believe particular religious claims.

'Liar' (the term used in the revelations passage) is a blunderbuss term and I think it should be applied with caution.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 04-22-2013 at 09:07 PM..

Old 04-23-2013, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Yes. That is an important distinction. When one is simply mistaken, then to call it a lie is uncharitable or even vicious. If one corrects the mistake and the bod is found saying the same thing subsequently, then 'Lie' is a bit more applicable.

Ah. I see the point. the wealthy churches are 'living a lie' and therefore themselves fall under the term 'Lie'. Then it is taken that 'Lie' in that sense is also 'Lie' in every sense.

I'd say that being a Liar in the more generally accepted sense of knowingly talking falsehood is not the same thing as claiming to follow the example of Jesus while being possessed of staggering wealth through the earning power of religion. No more than it is applicable to someone who is sincerely mistaken, nor indeed to someone who does not believe particular religious claims.

'Liar' (the term used in the revelations passage) is a blunderbuss term and I think it should be applied with caution.
The folks who claim to be Christians and do not even approach living the life described for them in the new testament are Liars. The church itself is worse than a liar...it conspires to cause people to lie.

Did you know that the new testament mentions hell 162 times, 70 by Jesus himself and that's about ten times as often as it mentions heaven?

All ancient god worship is a man's game devised by ignorant primitives who desired to instill fear and get into the crops and money of those who fell for it. P.T. Barnum said "There's A Sucker Born Every Minute" and when people fall for a game which promises reward after they're dead they prove he was right.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:39 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
...P.T. Barnum said "There's A Sucker Born Every Minute" and when people fall for a game which promises reward after they're dead they prove he was right.
Well at least they promise the reward to the believer, not like life assurance policies. I mean, what's all that about?? They tell me I should pay them lots of money when I'm a live and then, when I'm dead, they'll give it all to someone else!! Huh??? What the.......! Do people actually fall for that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality