Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2013, 11:27 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,998,177 times

Advertisements

So I reread a section of The Secret after stumbling upon the book again in my kindle.

Despite the fact that I feel like I'm long past my New Age spiritual days, reading this book got me thinking back to my room. My last four years were all about overcoming some kind of adversity. Racism, religious doctrine and feelings of being imposed upon, family issues, etc. And I wanted not just to survive it but to learn how to transcend it. And when i looked in my bedroom, I had actually created a space filled with images and symbols that represented strength, power, and overcoming as well as love to me. The poem Invictus, pictures of tigers, hearts etc. And at the time I created that space, I just wanted to decorate my room and I liked this stuff. But I didn't realize I had somehow set images and symbols in place that...had an effect on me.

Anyways, does your personal space somehow reflect your goals or desires of the time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 09:43 AM

398 posts, read 698,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
So I reread a section of The Secret after stumbling upon the book again in my kindle.

Despite the fact that I feel like I'm long past my New Age spiritual days, reading this book got me thinking back to my room. My last four years were all about overcoming some kind of adversity. Racism, religious doctrine and feelings of being imposed upon, family issues, etc. And I wanted not just to survive it but to learn how to transcend it. And when i looked in my bedroom, I had actually created a space filled with images and symbols that represented strength, power, and overcoming as well as love to me. The poem Invictus, pictures of tigers, hearts etc. And at the time I created that space, I just wanted to decorate my room and I liked this stuff. But I didn't realize I had somehow set images and symbols in place that...had an effect on me.

Anyways, does your personal space somehow reflect your goals or desires of the time?
I have no problem with "new age" spirituality, whatever one might decide that is, but yes everyone decorates their space according to their preferences which change over time. I see no reason why that would be considered solely the realm of the spiritual because people do this who claim to have no real spirituality. I tend to decorate my things to look appropriate to my spirituality which definitely changes, even day to day. I'd love to see pics of your space if you have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality