Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 09:05 PM

124 posts, read 153,873 times

Advertisements

Hey I want to hear from opinions that say America and the world is not damned. Preferably from a Christian worldview. I sure believe in God, but more Christians seem to be having this similar view that the world will end soon. Other than, they say we don't have the ability to save the world as it exists right now. This really scares me. What is the motivation of this idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 09:40 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,327,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gousa14 View Post
Hey I want to hear from opinions that say America and the world is not damned. Preferably from a Christian worldview. I sure believe in God, but more Christians seem to be having this similar view that the world will end soon. Other than, they say we don't have the ability to save the world as it exists right now. This really scares me. What is the motivation of this idea?
American Christianity can be very apocalyptic and much of it is predicated on the idea that the return of Christ is just around the corner. Thus, the worldview of these kinds of Christians tend to be extremely negative and filled with confirmation bias. They often ignore the obvious and dwell in a very dark place while actually looking forward to the death and destruction that will arise before Christ returns.

I know you were looking for a Christian perspective, but I couldn't help but post when you said this really scared you.

Bottom line - it shouldn't.

Despite what the Debbie Downers and Negative Nancies say, the world is actually doing quite well. Historians are beginning to put together research showing how this is the most peaceful time in all of human history.

What about crime? Well, sure, there seems to be an explosion of sexual predators and violent crime, but is there? No, not really. For one thing, our society is inundated with information, more than at any other time. Even just 15 years ago, a person living in New York would never have heard about a sexual predator caught in Montana - but you do now.

Comparative statistics show a reduction in violent crime, but for every incident, we hear about it. The internet and 24 hour news channels has made it inevitable. As the saying goes in print media, "If it bleeds, it leads."

But that doesn't mean there is more violence than ever before. Keep in mind how in upwards of 100,000 people would gather at the Colisseum in Rome to watch people murder each other. Or during the medieval era when fathers would hoist their sons onto their shoulders so the child could get a better view over the crowd that gathered to watch someone be eviscerated while still alive. During the French Revolution, a beheading was cause for a party and women wore earrings shaped like miniature guillotines. Even during the early 20th Century, the lynching of a black man erupted in celebration with as many as 20,000 people turning out to see it happen - vendors would set up shop and sell hot dogs and cotton candy as if a lynching was a carnival.

We've come along way since then. I'm sure those apocalyptists who are worming their way into your head will tell you how horrible things are - but they're only saying that because things have to be pretty bad before their savior comes back. Yet they've been saying this for almost 2,000 years. In fact, the fall of Rome was supposed to be the big sign that Jesus was returning, yet, here we still are.

All I can tell you is to not let their talk scare you. If you talk to anyone else outside of their apocalyptic cult, you'll discover that most of what they say can be refuted rather easily. The world is not one big horror movie so don't let them convince you that it is.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:15 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gousa14 View Post
First, you need to accept the fact that America does not = The World.

It's a sub-set of The World. One of many.

Most of The World is doing fine.

America? I'm not so sure about.

But if they manage to ignore the bellowing of the Fundamentalist Right - mired as they are in the tar pits of yesteryear - and follow the trends set by Europe, Canada, Australia and other enlightened nations, they'll be fine.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:25 AM

335 posts, read 410,134 times
Based on the latest revelations and some history I would say that America and many world governments are headed
for warnings not damnation . I believe the findings of Rabbi Jonathan Cahn, Mark Blitz who's biblical observations
have us witnessing harbingers and blood moons (eclipses on the Lords feasts) all culminating in 2015 will be a wake
up call to America and the world that God means business . The blood moons are additional warnings over and above
the harbingers as referenced by Prophecy In The News and John Hagee's view. I personally see a financial crisis again
as its been 7 years (God's frequently used number and cycle allowing time for a nation(s) to shape up after the first round
albeit 9/11 and the last financial crisis. This next financial crisis will be at perhaps 19 trillion debt mark will break the camels back
and usher us into a depression ,but due to most windows today made of safety plate glass the seculars will bounce off as
they get word they are going to be panhandlers.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:07 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,629,960 times
I was one of those Christians. I used to live and be in fear. I judged the world when I was no better. I thought Jesus was going to come any day soon and take us home and the world would be left to their devices. That is going to happen but not before the great outpouring and various other miracles and supernatural events that are scheduled to happen in this kingdom age. We will win and God is going to make a show of his love to this generation. We really just have to operate in faith and push back darkness by declaring and decreeing his will and his way be done in our lives. America isn't damned. Quite the contrary. God calls the U.S. his light in the world. He calls Canada the gateway. He is going to use this country and the people in it to manifest and reveal himself and the wonders of the supernatural realm to the world. They will be no grey area of whether God exist or not. They will know. And they will run to him.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:07 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I was one of those Christians. I used to live and be in fear. I judged the world when I was no better. I thought Jesus was going to come any day soon and take us home and the world would be left to their devices. That is going to happen but not before the great outpouring and various other miracles and supernatural events that are scheduled to happen in this kingdom age. We will win and God is going to make a show of his love to this generation. We really just have to operate in faith and push back darkness by declaring and decreeing his will and his way be done in our lives. America isn't damned. Quite the contrary. God calls the U.S. his light in the world. He calls Canada the gateway. He is going to use this country and the people in it to manifest and reveal himself and the wonders of the supernatural realm to the world. They will be no grey area of whether God exist or not. They will know. And they will run to him.
Really? When did he do that?

Old 03-13-2014, 09:03 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,327,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I was wondering the same thing.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:51 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I think it was the same time Jesus told all the fundamentalists it was OK (in fact encouraged) to carry a gun to church. Really. It's part and parcel of some of the "messages" out there.

OP: YOU can make the world a better place. Do you love someone? Tell them you do. Be kind to people. Open the door for a little old lady. Wave at little kids on the bus. Smile and say "good morning" to the greeter at Costco. If someone does something nice for you, pay it forward. Do something good for someone else today for no reason at all. Be happy with what you've got.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:53 PM

618 posts, read 541,396 times
Hello DewDropInn.

Simple but worthwhile advice.

Thanks.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:54 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,762,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
So, you decided to add your own scriptures and say the Bible says something when it does not? If you can't debate the argument without misstatements then, don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality