Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 05:11 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,230,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I gave you the three.

Here they are again.

Exodus 20:2-17, Deuteronomy 5:6-21 or the third version, in Exodus 34:12-26

Which version?
All the versions say the same thing.

They are the 10 commandments given to Moses.

I guess I don't follow. Can you point out the differences? There's no contradiction between them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 06:37 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
No they don't.

Why don't you list them the way you understand them. Two are very similar, but not the same, and one is totally different.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
No they don't.

Why don't you list them the way you understand them. Two are very similar, but not the same, and one is totally different.
Why don't you?

Which two?

Which one?

Old 11-29-2013, 06:57 PM

First Tables of Stone (Exodus 20)
("which Moses didst break")

Second Tables of Stone (Exodus 34)
("the words that were on the first")

1. I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before me.

1. Thou shalt worship no other god (For the Lord is a jealous god).

2. You shall not make for yourself a graven image. You shall not bow down to them or serve them.

2. Thou shalt make thee no molten gods.

3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.

3. The feast of unleavened bread shalt thou keep in the month when the ear is on the corn.

4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.

4. All the first-born are mine.

5. Honor your father and your mother.

5. Six days shalt thou work, but on the seventh thou shalt rest.

6. You shall not kill.

6. Thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, even of the first fruits of the wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the year's end.

7. You shall not commit adultery.

7. Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leavened bread.

8. You shall not steal.

8. The fat of my feast shall not remain all night until the morning.

9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

9. The first of the first fruits of thy ground thou shalt bring unto the house of the Lord thy God.

10. You shall not covet.

10. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in its mother's milk.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
First Tables of Stone (Exodus 20)
("which Moses didst break")

Second Tables of Stone (Exodus 34)
("the words that were on the first")

1. I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before me.

1. Thou shalt worship no other god (For the Lord is a jealous god).

2. You shall not make for yourself a graven image. You shall not bow down to them or serve them.

2. Thou shalt make thee no molten gods.

3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.

3. The feast of unleavened bread shalt thou keep in the month when the ear is on the corn.

4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.

4. All the first-born are mine.

5. Honor your father and your mother.

5. Six days shalt thou work, but on the seventh thou shalt rest.

6. You shall not kill.

6. Thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, even of the first fruits of the wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the year's end.

7. You shall not commit adultery.

7. Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leavened bread.

8. You shall not steal.

8. The fat of my feast shall not remain all night until the morning.

9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

9. The first of the first fruits of thy ground thou shalt bring unto the house of the Lord thy God.

10. You shall not covet.

10. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in its mother's milk.
You're confusing other laws with the ten commandments. When Moses went up to the mountain, he didn't receive just the 10 commandments. He received instructions for living and blue prints for the tabernacle.

However, the ones specifically written on the tablets by the "finger of God" were the 10 commandments in Exodus 20:1-17.

The first five have to do with the relationship with God, the second five have to do with the relationship with man.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
You're confusing other laws with the ten commandments. When Moses went up to the mountain, he didn't receive just the 10 commandments. He received instructions for living and blue prints for the tabernacle.

However, the ones specifically written on the tablets by the "finger of God" were the 10 commandments in Exodus 20:1-17.

The first five have to do with the relationship with God, the second five have to do with the relationship with man.
No confusion here.

There are two clearly different versions.

Cafeteria Christians pick and choose which ones they want to quote.

Just like most of the contradictions and falsehoods that lie in the bible.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:24 PM

535 posts, read 967,293 times
Quote:
No confusion here.

There are two clearly different versions.

Cafeteria Christians pick and choose which ones they want to quote.

Just like most of the contradictions and falsehoods that lie in the bible.
There's the Ritual Decalogue and the Ethical Decalogue. There are generally considered three versions, Roman Catholic-Lutheran, Jewish, and Protestant, though occasionally a Muslim version, not based on the Bible is mentioned as a fourth.

Exodus 34, the Ritual Decalogue is the only place where they are called the Ten Commandments. The other two listings (Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5) the Ethical Decalogue doesn't describe them as such. Googling What book in the bible has the ten commandments predominately brings up Exodus 20.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:26 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartstarr1960 View Post
Statistics Brain says 6,001,500,000 Holy Bibles have been printed. Ask.com reports 100,000,000 copies are sold each year. Wycliffe Bible Translators says of the worlds 6,000,000,000 people just 209,000,000 lack a Bible. While the exact numbers are unknown it's far and away the best selling book of all time.

When a Costco store recently labeled The Holy Bible under the genre fiction, the following ensued: Costco Bibles labeled 'fiction' draw apology (+video) - CSMonitor.com

What is it about The Holy Bible that makes it the most revered and the most reviled book in the history of mankind?

The great American evangelist and publisher D.L. Moody wrote on the the fly-leaf of his Bible these words: "This book will keep me from sin, and sin will keep me from this Book." Certainly there must be more reasons than that.

There's even The Bible For People Who Hate The Bible

Bible Statistics | Statistic Brain
Translation, Literacy and Language Statistics
Probably has to do with peoples Religious beliefs.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
There's the Ritual Decalogue and the Ethical Decalogue. There are generally considered three versions, Roman Catholic-Lutheran, Jewish, and Protestant, though occasionally a Muslim version, not based on the Bible is mentioned as a fourth.

Exodus 34, the Ritual Decalogue is the only place where they are called the Ten Commandments. The other two listings (Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5) the Ethical Decalogue doesn't describe them as such. Googling What book in the bible has the ten commandments predominately brings up Exodus 20.
Exactly.

Now I wonder how many look at Exodus 34 as"Ten Commandments"?

Virtually none I would bet.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:45 AM

511 posts, read 799,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartstarr1960 View Post
Statistics Brain says 6,001,500,000 Holy Bibles have been printed. Ask.com reports 100,000,000 copies are sold each year. Wycliffe Bible Translators says of the worlds 6,000,000,000 people just 209,000,000 lack a Bible. While the exact numbers are unknown it's far and away the best selling book of all time.

When a Costco store recently labeled The Holy Bible under the genre fiction, the following ensued: Costco Bibles labeled 'fiction' draw apology (+video) - CSMonitor.com

What is it about The Holy Bible that makes it the most revered and the most reviled book in the history of mankind?

The great American evangelist and publisher D.L. Moody wrote on the the fly-leaf of his Bible these words: "This book will keep me from sin, and sin will keep me from this Book." Certainly there must be more reasons than that.

There's even The Bible For People Who Hate The Bible

Bible Statistics | Statistic Brain
Translation, Literacy and Language Statistics

It is the word of God and therefore it is indestructible. Many attempts have been made to destroy the scripture in history. The Roman Emperor Diocletian ordered that all copies of the Bible be burned. It failed. Men like William Tyndale were put to death for efforts to translate the Bible into English.

Unlike other ancient myths coming from that time and part of the world the Bible has survived. The fact that many people like atheists dedicate significant portions of their time studying the Bible in order to destroy it only serves to prove it is the true word of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality