Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 05:50 PM

13,246 posts, read 7,304,105 times

Advertisements

I was reading that they had been kept away from the public because the Vatican was concerned something might turn up which would damage Christianity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 06:16 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,244,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I was reading that they had been kept away from the public because the Vatican was concerned something might turn up which would damage Christianity.
No, that's not true. At first there was skepticism about their authenticity, and then when a team of senior scholars was assigned groups of texts to analyze and publish, they basically sat on them for years. It was a big feather in a scholar's cap to have been assigned some scrolls fragments, and they either took their sweet time, didn't look at them at all, or assigned their analysis to grad students who didn't really know what to do. Slowly stuff was published, like a concordance of words appearing in the scrolls, and an old professor of mine, Martin Abegg, developed a computer program that sifted through that concordance and grouped all the words according to fragment and then slowly reconstructed the contents of each fragment. He published this work and that really put pressure on the people who oversaw the scrolls. There were copies of the scrolls kept in Yarnton, just outside of Oxford, and by a couple private scholars in the United States. Another of my old professors, Martin Goodman, had control of the scrolls in Oxford and was contemplating releasing them with the help of another scholar. Fortunately for them, when one of the owners in the States died, they left the copies to the Huntington Library in California, and the library released them. Now that the scrolls had been publicized, the people who oversaw them had their hand forced, and they basically reassigned all the fragments to other scholars and their critical editions were slowly published.

There was no theological controversy, it was just a bunch of members of the old boys club taking too long with their assignments.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:42 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,891,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
There were a few thousand fragments found in the caves, of which only a few have been studied to any great extent; most of them are so fragile that they are only removed from protective storage for five or ten minutes at a time.

It's taken so long to release them because five or ten minutes every day does not add up to a whole lot of time

Old 11-11-2014, 07:42 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,428,074 times
Keep in mind, it was Constantene who decided on which books go into the bible, in spite of what you were told, and there are a lot on missing ones, some speaking of the life of Jesus.

Many that are pretty far fetched.

The book of Thomas speaks of Jesus's first miracle, where Joseph the carpenter had a board a foot to short, and Jesus lengthened it.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
There were a few thousand fragments found in the caves, of which only a few have been studied to any great extent;
Actually there are critical editions of every last one of them published. The series is called Discoveries in the Judean Desert, and every last letter of every last fragment is closely examined. Many of my friends have authored volumes in the series.

Quote:
most of them are so fragile that they are only removed from protective storage for five or ten minutes at a time.
That's not true, but the research is done with hi-res photos, not necessarily the fragments themselves.

Quote:
It's taken so long to release them because five or ten minutes every day does not add up to a whole lot of time
No, that's not the case.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_a49 View Post
Keep in mind, it was Constantene who decided on which books go into the bible,
That's not true in any way, shape, or form.

Quote:
in spite of what you were told, and there are a lot on missing ones, some speaking of the life of Jesus.

Many that are pretty far fetched.

The book of Thomas speaks of Jesus's first miracle, where Joseph the carpenter had a board a foot to short, and Jesus lengthened it.
That's a gnostic gospel that no one thinks has anything to do with any actual events in the life of any historical Jesus.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel O. McClellan View Post
That's not true in any way, shape, or form.

If you have another explanation, I would love to hear it.

Emperor Constantine, who was Roman Emperor from 306 CE until his death in 337 CE, used what motivates many to action - MONEY! He offered the various Church leaders money to agree upon a single canon that would be used by all Christians as the word of God. The Church leaders gathered together at the Council of Nicaea and voted the "word of God" into existence. (I wish to thank Brian Show for pointing out in his rebuttal to this article that the final version of the Christian Bible was not voted on at the Council of Nicaea, per se. The Church leaders didn't finish editing the "holy" scriptures until the Council of Trent when the Catholic Church pronounced the Canon closed. However, it seems the real approving editor of the Bible was not God but Constantine! This fact is revealed in the second counter-rebuttal to Brian Show's first rebuttal to this article. This counter-rebuttal makes the following important statement and backs it up with FACTS - "Therefore, one can easily argue that the first Christian Bible was commissioned, paid for, inspected and approved by a pagan emperor for church use."
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Old 11-11-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
If you have another explanation, I would love to hear it.
Of the development of the biblical canon? Sure. The best book on the topic is here:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Biblical-C...mm_pap_title_0

Canon lists were around for centuries prior to the Council of Nicea, and there's not a shred of evidence anywhere that Constantine had anything whatsoever to do with developing of finalizing the canon.

Quote:
Emperor Constantine, who was Roman Emperor from 306 CE until his death in 337 CE, used what motivates many to action - MONEY! He offered the various Church leaders money to agree upon a single canon that would be used by all Christians as the word of God.
No such thing ever happened.

Quote:
The Church leaders gathered together at the Council of Nicaea and voted the "word of God" into existence.
Actually Nicea addressed only the nature of Jesus' relationship to God and a date for easter. The canonicity of two books were on the docket, but they were never discussed.

Quote:
(I wish to thank Brian Show for pointing out in his rebuttal to this article that the final version of the Christian Bible was not voted on at the Council of Nicaea, per se. The Church leaders didn't finish editing the "holy" scriptures until the Council of Trent when the Catholic Church pronounced the Canon closed. However, it seems the real approving editor of the Bible was not God but Constantine! This fact is revealed in the second counter-rebuttal to Brian Show's first rebuttal to this article. This counter-rebuttal makes the following important statement and backs it up with FACTS - "Therefore, one can easily argue that the first Christian Bible was commissioned, paid for, inspected and approved by a pagan emperor for church use."
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE]
A laughable piece of pseudo-scholarship. I didn't see a single primary text brought to bear on the question. I saw forced inferences and assumptions being leveraged with naked assertion. The author's understanding of the political climate and the political and religious conventions of the time is deplorable, and his massaging of what little evidence he actually brought to bear was transparent. I saw no facts that actually supported his argument, but you're welcome to try to produce any if you think they exist.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:43 PM

This is a subject I don't plan on really getting into, mainly because I am not that well versed on it, however the evidence abounds, and the church apologists struggle to deflect the true origins.
a simple google search will bring a pile of scholarly literature that seems to have more credence than the churches versions.

Here is a good place to get lots of hits.

did constantine decide what books belong in the bible

Old 11-11-2014, 10:00 PM

The Forged Origins of The New Testament
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality