Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 11:55 AM

7,592 posts, read 4,163,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
The radio preacher I mentioned is as close to this as I actually got in real life, that and televangelists which are usually more in the direction of the Prosperity Gospel and healings and such -- but in my mind both are of a kind, they simply direct their emotional manipulations to different ends. The hellfire-and-brimstone types terrify people into joining / compliance and get off on the control aspect, the prosperity / healing types hold out false hope to get people to send in money and get off on the resulting wealth. Both are emotional manipulators.

Your run-of-the-mill fundamentalist pastor is usually more well-meaning and less whacky, at least in my experience in the upper midwest. My problem with them is less the overt hucksterism and more about empty promises and setting of unrealistic expectations and promotion of magical thinking that ill serves people in real life.
My neighbor asked me to check out his church. He has been bugging me to go for months. I wonder what I am going to see, surely not the hellfire types or even the healing types, not sure about the fundamentalist. I will keep these things in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 01:35 PM

855 posts, read 624,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
My guess is that it's because today's generation is the most sinful and morally bankrupt who has ever lived
Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of
exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict
their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize
their teachers.” ~ Socrates, 469
BC - 399BC

The point being, this generation is no worse than previous ones. I think it's just habit (tradition?)
that the older generation criticizes the newcomers for what they perceive as being morally worse-
off.

Quote:
If a church criticized sinners the seats would be empty. There is a much larger audience for "Jesus died for your sins" and leaving it at that saying nothing to discourage further sin.
Or, churches are slowly coming around to realizing that the concept of hell isn't necessarily biblical.
Besides, if the only motivation for right behavior is the threat of eternal hellfire, what does that say
about the person (not to mention the religion preaching it)? Shouldn't Jesus be enough, if what he
allegedly did had any actual impact on things?

[SIZE=2]-[/SIZE]

Old 12-29-2013, 06:44 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayjeena View Post

Besides, if the only motivation for right behavior is the threat of eternal hellfire, what does that say
about the person (not to mention the religion preaching it)? Shouldn't Jesus be enough, if what he
allegedly did had any actual impact on things?
That is the argument against free will right there..... If God truly had given free will, he would not have thretened to burn us forever in eternal hell if we didn't do things a certain way.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:47 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,136,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
So it's deliberately-contrived form of speaking that's supposed to make the people in the pews believe the guy speaking is under the power and influence of the Holy Spirit when in reality he's just tacking this suffix -ah onto the tail-end of every word to put emphasis on his sermon? Got it.

And Christians wonder why normal people are so skeptical about religion these days.
I think the reason why these preachers yell and -ah their messages is because of peer pressure. The minister is supposed to be excited about what he's preaching and soft toned preachers are liberal. People then stand up and shout and applaud when the preacher gets excited because of peer pressure of everyone around them seeing them as sitting out the preacher if they don't stand up during the exciting times. A amen-ing and applauding audience brings about more fervent preaching. So, you have a positive feedback loop.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:54 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I think the reason why these preachers yell and -ah their messages is because of peer pressure. The minister is supposed to be excited about what he's preaching and soft toned preachers are liberal. People then stand up and shout and applaud when the preacher gets excited because of peer pressure of everyone around them seeing them as sitting out the preacher if they don't stand up during the exciting times. A amen-ing and applauding audience brings about more fervent preaching. So, you have a positive feedback loop.
Which sort of reinforces my theory that 99.9999% of Christians get their theology from their local church pastor rather than the Bible. The average Christian reads "saved by faith" and then "saved by faith plus works" and you can just hear the wheels in their head grinding to a halt and see the smoke start to whiff out of their ears. It's no accident that the most common book in the American household, the Bible, is also the one most caked with an inch-thick layer of dust.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:25 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,310,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The Christian Church?

Never heard of it.
You KNOW, The Holy Roman Catholic Church all those other so called Christian churches are fake and all those that follow them are going to Hell too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality