Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 05:28 AM

111 posts, read 340,181 times

Advertisements

This is a question for non-Muslim users.

Have any of you ever visited a mosque? If so, what was it like?

I've been to at least four mosques in Brazil and one in Argentina. It's pretty cool to go inside one. Every mosque I've been to the people were pretty nice. I make sure that I be respectful to the Muslims while I'm inside the mosque.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 08:15 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,046,346 times
Is there a large Muslim population in Brazil and Argentina?

Old 05-03-2014, 06:11 PM

111 posts, read 340,181 times
Not really. I'm from Brazil, and Muslims aren't too common here. There are a lot of Lebanese people here, but only about ten percent of them are Muslim. Most Lebanese people here are Christian. Syrians are common here too, and they're more likely to be Muslim, but the Christians still outnumber them. Argentina has a larger Muslim community - probably the largest in Latin America. In both cases, the Muslims are mostly Lebanese or Syrian - other groups pop up from time to time, but they're not common. They're pretty well-integrated here and many of the younger ones do not speak Arabic. The Lebanese guy I'm closest with is a Muslim.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:23 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,103,252 times
For the benefit of any non-Muslim posters.

If you have never been in a mosque and are curious. Most Mosques welcome visitor, actually I never saw one that didn't.

If you contact the Imam first, most will be glad to be certain you have accommodations for comfort, such as a chair (Mosques usually have no chairs, we sit on the floor.)

As to what to expect:

Here are some videos that might help

This first one is a virtual interactive tour of the Bolton Mosque in Manchester, UK

Bolton Mosque

this second one is what prayer in a Mosque is like

Old 05-04-2014, 05:03 PM

938 posts, read 1,516,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninoleo View Post

I've been to at least four mosques in Brazil and one in Argentina. It's pretty cool to go inside one. Every mosque I've been to the people were pretty nice. I make sure that I be respectful to the Muslims while I'm inside the mosque.
Yes. I spoke to the imam about questions I had about Islam. I've watched people perform wudu and salah. I've also been to the iftar at the mosque. Who can refuse free food

Old 05-04-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Yes. I spoke to the imam about questions I had about Islam. I've watched people perform wudu and salah. I've also been to the iftar at the mosque. Who can refuse free food
Don't count on the free food, some of us are cheapskates.

Typically the Best food will be during Ramadan after Maghreb prayer.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:35 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,496,332 times
Yes I have. It was with a women's interfaith group. We toured the mosque, and had a question and answer session with the Imam and his wife. It was refreshing to hear the young women speak.

Very interesting experience. And we were FED!!

Old 05-04-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
Yes I have. It was with a women's interfaith group. We toured the mosque, and had a question and answer session with the Imam and his wife. It was refreshing to hear the young women speak.

Very interesting experience. And we were FED!!
As Usario mentioned you should be there for iftar (The Breaking Fast meal during Ramadan) immediately after the evening prayer (Maghreb) during Ramadan.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:12 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,485,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninoleo View Post

Yes. It is a lot like church, except people sit on the floor instead of in pews.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Yes. It is a lot like church, except people sit on the floor instead of in pews.
Big plus, no sermon except on Friday Jummat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality