Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2014, 06:55 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,793,470 times

Advertisements

Inspired by a Michael Savage topic the other day on his radio program.

Savage started out with criticisms of Pope Francis and his preaching on wealth and stuff. Savage then asked Is God Dead? then his callers joined in with their own input.

One caller was someone who claimed to be a Catholic who called Pope Francis a Marxist. Savage agreed.

Well, I was raised strict Catholic, but I am no longer practicing. That said, I called and sat on hold for over an hour, but in the end Savage did not think my point was worth discussing.

My point?

Jesus teaches us that if we are right with God, and right with our fellow humans, that eternal life is ours.

It is NOT the purpose of religion to promote or support any particular economic system, it is NOT the purpose of religion to promote any particular political philosophy. It IS the purpose of religion, through religious leaders, to guide us, to instruct us in faith, spirituality, morality.

One reason non Catholics resent us Catholics is because we have all that good stuff, not the least of which is the greatest treatise on morality ever written, the Seven Deadly Sins, one of which is Greed. And what is greed? The seeking of the acquisition of greater and greater wealth, more than one can possibly need, when there are those around one who have less than they need. Sound familiar? Think CEO's who pay themselves hundreds of millions a year while firing employees and shipping their jobs off to China. It may be legal. It may be all in line with free market capitalism. But is it moral?

It has to be real tough to be a Christian in America. After all, that freedom of religion thing has got to rub Christians the wrong way. Let alone that prevailing belief that greed is good.

Looking forward to your thoughtful comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 10:12 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post

Savage started out with criticisms of Pope Francis and his preaching on wealth and stuff. Savage then asked Is God Dead? then his callers joined in with their own input.

One caller was someone who claimed to be a Catholic who called Pope Francis a Marxist. Savage agreed.

Well, I was raised strict Catholic, but I am no longer practicing. That said, I called and sat on hold for over an hour, but in the end Savage did not think my point was worth discussing.

My point?

Jesus teaches us that if we are right with God, and right with our fellow humans, that eternal life is ours.

It is NOT the purpose of religion to promote or support any particular economic system, it is NOT the purpose of religion to promote any particular political philosophy. It IS the purpose of religion, through religious leaders, to guide us, to instruct us in faith, spirituality, morality.

One reason non Catholics resent us Catholics is because we have all that good stuff, not the least of which is the greatest treatise on morality ever written, the Seven Deadly Sins, one of which is Greed. And what is greed? The seeking of the acquisition of greater and greater wealth, more than one can possibly need, when there are those around one who have less than they need. Sound familiar? Think CEO's who pay themselves hundreds of millions a year while firing employees and shipping their jobs off to China. It may be legal. It may be all in line with free market capitalism. But is it moral?

It has to be real tough to be a Christian in America. After all, that freedom of religion thing has got to rub Christians the wrong way. Let alone that prevailing belief that greed is good.

Cut out the red above, and you are on track.

Regarding the blue... Replace religious leaders with the Holy Spirit who dwells inside of believers. You can listen to religious leaders, but they should have the Holy Spirit in them also. Our purpose individually, is to grow to be like Christ as much as possible.

Regarding the purple... There is no problem with freedom of religion. We are not to be greedy. Don't know what you are expecting there.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:51 AM

Me: and right with our fellow humans

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Cut out the red above, and you are on track.
ESV — Matthew 22:34-40

34 But when the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. 35 And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question to test him. 36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38 This is the great and first commandment. 39 And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40 On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.

Personally, I dont argue against anything Jesus Himself said.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

There is no problem with freedom of religion. We are not to be greedy. Don't know what you are expecting there.
Well, I'm toying with cross posting in one of the political forums. I have run into more than a few "conservatives" who preach America is a Christian nation, founded on Christian principles, and who at the same time trumpet the greatness of free market capitalism, and the high pay of CEO, for example, and why firing employees and sending their jobs to China is all in the best interest of the free market. My original post is directed at those who seem to think that is the purpose of religion to support their own political and economic beliefs.

PS Over the decades I have known many many people of faith who are successful in business and who are dedicated to practicing the directions of Jesus, feeding the hungry, sheltering the homeless, and clothing the naked.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:37 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,936,071 times
[quote=chuckmann;34804814]Inspired by a Michael Savage topic the other day on his radio program.

quote]

Michael Savage is a nut-job, so I don't know why you would waste time listening to his program.

But I agree with your point; Jesus was very careful not to get entangled in politics, and Christianity does not advance any particular political system. Although I'm a big fan of Pope Francis, I do think he needs to be careful when it comes to politics.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:32 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post

My point?

Essentially you are correct, except for that jealousy thing. The Jews and pagan Greeks had many such and so what? I have the best moral treatise, the Bible.

Think of how involvement in politics and such has led to "Christian" killing "Christian".

Old 05-16-2014, 04:27 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,023,019 times
All political systems through out the earth will never add up to the perfection of God and His plan for people , but there are some which tolerate Christianity which God can be accepted and where He can bless His people through These nations ....And if ministers preach to promote and political party in office you can be sure than that party will never be totally perfect for Christians , but could be acceptable for Christianity to flourish , where other Political parties could allow more sin into the earth polluting the people with more demons to deal with .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality