Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 10:55 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
What if the afterlife is actually this life?
It is.
It's all the same to ME!
Here, there... sooner, later...happy here, happy there...
an eternal now...always now.
Ah, such freedom!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 03:43 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,808,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
It is.
It's all the same to ME!
Here, there... sooner, later...happy here, happy there...
an eternal now...always now.
Ah, such freedom!
Good perception of time. Its relative. That s why it is said to lay up you treasures in heaven.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:55 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
I realize there is no hard and fast evidence of an afterlife and yet I cannot bring myself to believe that once we die it's all over. There are more cells in the human body than there are stars in the universe and SOMETHING had to organize them in such a miraculous manner that they can fit together the way they do.

For example, hope this is not crass, but think of the placement a penis and vagina. How did both end up in the exact same position between the legs. And how does one fit so conveniently (and pleasurably) into the other. Come on. Some Intelligence had to be thinking about this design. If you go with random odds it's more likely the penis would have ended up on the top of the guy's head (which is how the term, "butting heads" would have ......oh, never mind) But you catch my drift. Something or someone is out there watching us.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:23 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Okay... I think everyone here colossally missed the point.

The point being we're spending time and effort, working towards an afterlife.

What if the afterlife is actually this life? That the point being made in the Bible is to make this life great, because how you feel her will transfer after you die? As in, you enjoy being a stockbroker now, you'll love it when you're dead.
Except when the inevitable "Black Monday" rolls around.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:30 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I realize there is no hard and fast evidence of an afterlife and yet I cannot bring myself to believe that once we die it's all over. There are more cells in the human body than there are stars in the universe and SOMETHING had to organize them in such a miraculous manner that they can fit together the way they do.

For example, hope this is not crass, but think of the placement a penis and vagina. How did both end up in the exact same position between the legs. And how does one fit so conveniently (and pleasurably) into the other. Come on. Some Intelligence had to be thinking about this design. If you go with random odds it's more likely the penis would have ended up on the top of the guy's head (which is how the term, "butting heads" would have ......oh, never mind) But you catch my drift. Something or someone is out there watching us.
That intelligence wanted us to have good sex.

Quote:
Except when the inevitable "Black Monday" rolls around.
Which brings up the second point. You have to examine whether what you are seeking after in this life is really what you need. Suppose someone told you that the way to be successful was to make loads of money. Okay, >> ten years, and you have all that money but you're bored. You have to organize your life that your afterlife wouldn't make you crazy, sad, or uncomfy. As in, if you're running a company on the backs of suffering workers, you're unlikely to be happy in 50 years, as short of an amoral sociopath, it will eat away at most ppl. Likewise, just being happy in this life is not enough, you have to set things up so you are genuinely happy with yourself.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:44 PM

296 posts, read 413,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
The physical world IS our scope. Anything "beyond" the physical world is beyond our scope and nothing can be ascertained about it; even assuming hypothetically that it is exists, it is irrelevant.

Anything that interacts with the physical world is of the physical world. The moment something interacts in the material universe it is no longer "outside" the material universe and we can't claim that it is.

Hence anything supernatural is unnatural and inherently something that we can't take knowledge positions on as natural beings.
The OP is suggesting that Human beings take another look at their presumptions about the cosmos.
As usual, you keep hijacking threads in the Spirituality forum to prove there is no after life.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:26 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,215,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip33 View Post
The OP is suggesting that Human beings take another look at their presumptions about the cosmos.
As usual, you keep hijacking threads in the Spirituality forum to prove there is no after life.
We skeptics are waiting patiently for any theist to prove there is indeed any type of afterlife.

That said, have you never considered the all too obvious conundrum facing any type of afterlife? For example, a few years before my mother passed, she intimated that she wanted to see my father as he was in his 20s not the old frail man that died of Alzheimer's disease at age 81. In my mid 50s I can understand this notion as I still have mental identity of a 30something yet the mirror does not reflect that identity. Since then I have lost my wife at age 51 and now have a new GF whom I am having "biblical relations" with. Now assuming I survive her too, she is divorced twice, who will be her meet-up in an afterlife, will my deceased wife be waiting for me will she be 51 or 30ish? Grandpa and Grandma will also be preferably 30ish so if they passed when you were still a kid like I was, what will they look like?

This is where folk start inventing all types of scenarios like they will appear to us as we last knew them which is merely and assertion w/o any evidence whatsoever.

All these NDE claims, firstly, they are more frequent now as there are many surviving simple mild heart attacks since we discovered CPR, drowned victims do not always stay dead as in the past - hence the tales. IMO, these NDEs are simply a fabrication of the brain, a dreamlike state that overrides the trauma of death. Think of when you dream and wake up. Most dreams we recall occur in the waking moment, that transition between unconsciousness and conciousness, if dreams occur in REM sleep, I have yet to recall any of them. In these dreams, time is irrelevant and seconds may seem like hours or even days. We have dreams that emulate OOBEs and we awaken with the sensation of gently floating back into our beds and bodies. ALL of this is the fabrication of the brain dealing with whatever it has to. The cerebral cortex, the part at the base of your skull controls the automatic stuff like keeping your heart beating and lungs breathing.

I am no biologist but this type of info is readily available a click away.

The truth is, we humans are mortal and it is only our sentience that kicks against the goads that this life is finite. The only possible afterlife will exist in 2D renditions of your existence and memories of loved ones that too will fade as time passes; if you are lucky, only 3 generations but nominally only 2, your kids and grand kids.

Cherish the life you have as that is all you get. All the rest is merely wishful thinking and hope against reality of death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality