Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 10:23 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
We don't even know for sure if the dating techniques used on these remains
are valid. There are contrary possibilities which only some scientists admit.
It's amazing how little we know about the fairly recent past. This remains
one of the greatest mysteries we've encountered.
I have to agree with Kitty. The attempts to discredit the dating of either fossil remains (by the geology) or organic remains (by Carbon 14) have themselves been discredited. The claim about how little we know about 'fairly recent' (which leaves what we are talking about wide open) past and it being 'one of the greatest mysteries' seems a remark so vague as to be almost meaningless, except hinting in some way that human knowledge and scientific data is totally flummoxed and those with speculations, wild hypotheses and near unsupported claims either about divine or extraterrestrial intervention can claim that they are just as valid.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:50 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,816,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
We don't even know for sure if the dating techniques used on these remains
are valid. There are contrary possibilities which only some scientists admit.
It's amazing how little we know about the fairly recent past. This remains
one of the greatest mysteries we've encountered.
Are you familiar with the RATE Group? Radioisotopes and the Age of The Earth? This is the group of YEC scientists, an affiliate of the ICR, that was on a mission to find real geologic and geochemical processes that would explain radiometric dating's faulty methods that erroneously indicated great ages of materials being dated. In other words, they were attempting to find tangible reasons to call into question the results that radiometric dating yielded.

However, they realized that geology and geochemistry are not going to give them the answers that they wanted. After decades of YEC failures to undermine radiometric dating with geology and geochemistry, these YEC leaders now recognize and admit that enormous amounts of radioactive decay on the order of billions of years have occurred regarding zircon samples being analyzed. They are now relying on a new nuclear physics and an ample supply of groundless miracles to speed up the decay rates without frying Adam or Noah. Essentially making up some unknown arbitrary force acting on the decay rates whole cloth without any discernible consequences on Earth and its inhabitants.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:38 AM

I seem to recall that the attempt to propose increased decay -rates also foundered because of fossilized or geologically -preserved natural radiation events, indicating that radioactive decay is constant, the same, Uniform, and always has been.

If so, then the dating debunkers have nothing left but a huge trick by either God to test the faithful or by Satan to mislead them (pick whichever you like), just as in the faking of fossils to mislead those who are foolish enough to rely on evidence rather then blind faith into thinking that the earth we live on (1) which is only a few thousand years old, as the only reliable scientific textbook (Genesis) says, experienced millions of years of animal development to get where we now are.

(1) as distinct from a postulated prior earth which preceded the 7 day 'Neo-creation' 2nd earth in order to soak up the undeniable billions of years of geology while still keeping YEC theory intact

Old 11-24-2014, 11:51 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,816,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I seem to recall that the attempt to propose increased decay -rates also foundered because of fossilized or geologically -preserved natural radiation events, indicating that radioactive decay is constant, the same, Uniform, and always has been.

If so, then the dating debunkers have nothing left but a huge trick by either God to test the faithful or by Satan to mislead them (pick whichever you like), just as in the faking of fossils to mislead those who are foolish enough to rely on evidence rather then blind faith into thinking that the earth we live on (1) which is only a few thousand years old, as the only reliable scientific textbook (Genesis) says, experienced millions of years of animal development to get where we now are.

(1) as distinct from a postulated prior earth which preceded the 7 day 'Neo-creation' 2nd earth in order to soak up the undeniable billions of years of geology while still keeping YEC theory intact
Yeah, the Gap Theory, which was postulated as a direct result for what the early geologists were discovering. A good example of an attempt of modifying a hermeneutical approach that was necessary because of undeniable empirical evidence. Kicking and screaming all the way.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:05 PM

671 posts, read 890,270 times
Accumulated knowledge,what seperates us from other living forms is reason and language.Think Plato, Aristotle,Socrates,,that was a period apx. 2500 years back.. But perhaps your one of the few that missed the boat....

Old 11-24-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGeorge View Post
Accumulated knowledge,what seperates us from other living forms is reason and language.Think Plato, Aristotle,Socrates,,that was a period apx. 2500 years back.. But perhaps your one of the few that missed the boat....
Sorry In order to avoid misunderstanding, it would be good to quote or reference the post you are referring to.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:42 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Modern human fossil records go back 400k years but only in the last 3000 years suddenly we have become so smart. Why did it take 398000 years to suddenly change our path to the intelligent's we have today. Why didn't this happen 100k years ago?
The Earth is only 6000 years old. You're being deceived by Satan.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:27 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,286 times
Quote:
It took us 390k years to invent written language, the wheel, tools, weapons not an arrow or spear I'm talking about the firearm? What i'm saying even if you go back 100k years it seems something changed only 3-6k years ago. I'm just posing the question why the first 300k years we really accomplished nothing other then avoiding becoming extinct. While I understand we have no idea how man lived 100k years ago because we have no written language to look at, but we can get a lot of information from things they left behind. Now in the last 300 years we have progressed light years ahead of what was done in the first 350k years. I'm not really trying to relate to when the bible says man was created. I'm not even religious but I ask the question because it seems strange to me how far we have come in such a short amount of time in the fossil record of time.

I totally understand the history on how we got to today's technology my question is why didn't this happen 150k years ago? Changing from hunter gathers to raising livestock, Written language changed everything the ability to pass along complex ideas to future generations.
You claim we 'got smarter.' But what does that mean? It appears you are using fairly arbitrary examples to justify intelligence. Written language, the wheel, tools, weapons... these don't really measure any intellect. I'd also like to point out that much of this easily could have existed before our earliest findings. Sure, the earliest written language we've found dates to 3,000 BCE (I believe), either invented in Babylon or Egypt (there's some dispute there). But that doesn't mean it didn't exist. It could have been destroyed or lost. Or mistaken for something else. Maybe cave painting weren't just drawings but a form of communication. I doubt it but we can't really know that, can we? And weapons certainly existed before the earliest remnants of weapons would have us believe. Odds are, the first weapon was just a sharp rock and that could have occurred hundreds of thousands of years earlier.

But that pointed rock wasn't sufficient. So they improved upon it. This is essential. All human invention is based on a particular need. No invention is arbitrary. Or done out of nothing. Humans may appear to have excelled in the just the past century, and we obviously had, but we did this from what was already achieved. Human invention is built up. Agriculture was invented with the knowledge achieved from hunter gatherers. Each 'group' has used the acheivments of past groups to build themselves up. Human progress is not linear. It is exponential. This is why we appear to have suddenly achieved greatness. Understand that in the 1500s, this same question could be asked (or at least a similar one). No matter where you are in human history (aside from the extremely early parts), you could look back and marvel in how quickly you've achieved what you have. Columbus would laugh at those of the 1200s for thinking the Earth was flat just as we laugh at him for thinking he landed in India.

Quote:
Even 16000 years ago still only a fraction of the time Humans have been on earth doesn't really matter.
It does matter though. Everything we do, we did from the past. Had agriculture not been invented, the world would not look like it does today. It could be better, but it could also be worse. We may not even be here. So it does in fact matter.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:28 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,625,643 times
There's a very good chance we wouldn't even be here at all if we hadn't transitioned from a hunter-gatherer to an agrarian social model. Humans were already bipedal when our brains suddenly became much larger, and this switch to bipedalism had caused some structural changes to the birth canal - it became smaller, which suddenly became problematic when human babies began to be born with larger heads.

The way nature got around this was to delay some of the early-life brain growth to the first year or two of childhood, rather than the prenatal stage of child development, which meant that unlike most animals, human infants were basically helpless for the first couple of years until their brains developed a bit. This made it difficult for roving bands of hunter-gatherers to carry around their children, and conferred an evolutionary advantage upon bands of humans who settled down in one place and grew crops. This was the beginning of what we see today as our modern community-centered social model, in which large populations of unrelated humans live together in complex social groups. What we today call "civilization" is directly rooted in the transition from small bands of roaming hunters to larger groups of farmers who settled in one spot and stayed there.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:59 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,212,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
The Earth is only 6000 years old. You're being deceived by Satan.
Victoria Waterfalls Gorges over 100,000 years old. here is a gorge in a very dry season.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.