Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 07:26 AM

430 posts, read 481,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Not at all insecurity is wonderful it's why I am a success I try twice as hard as anybody else
we all have insecurities. it depends on how much of it you have, and how you can deal with it.

security is a basic need of all forms of life. evil happens when people, plants or animals dont get enough of what they need, be it: food, clothing, shelter, or even love!

Apostle Paul did not realize that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 07:37 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophion View Post
cherry picking bibles. LOL!

King James (KJB):
"For the love of money is the root of all evil"

Catholic bible (DR):
For the desire of money is the root of all evils

besides, in both the translations we use it still says "root of all". thats just wrong dude.

and think about it, we all love to have more money/material things, but it doesnt necessarily make us bad people. the bible is incorrect.
I always use the NASB. I don't cherry pick. It's a word for word translation... at least as much as possible. And I think it is accurate. Lust and power and idolatry (along w/ greed/money) are also sources of evil.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:45 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Do you have an interest in discrediting the Bible?

At least quote it properly. The love of money is not the root of all evil.

1 Timothy 6:10 - For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil,..
Not only that, but the OP has failed to see the contextual setting in which the verse is found:

1 Timothy 6:6-11 Now devoutness with contentment is great capital; (7) for nothing do we carry into
the world, and it is evident that neither can we carry anything out." (8) Now, having sustenance and
shelter, with these we shall be sufficed." (9) Now, those intending to be rich are falling into a trial and a
trap and the many foolish and harmful desires which are swamping men in extermination and
destruction." (10) For a root of all of the evils is the fondness for money, which some, craving, were led
astray from the faith and try themselves on all sides with much pain." (11) Now you, O man of God, flee
from these things: yet pursue righteousness, devoutness, faith, love, with endurance, suffering, and
meekness."

1. Is devoutness with contentment great capital? Yes
  2. Do we carry anything into or out of the world when we are born or die? No
  3. Can one be sufficed having sustenance and shelter? Yes
  4. Do those intending to be rich fall into a trial and trap and many fooling and harmful desires swamping men in extermination and destruction? Yes
  5. Is a root of all the evils (I just mentions) a fondness for money? Yes
  6. Did some in the early church crave money and try themselves with much pain? Yes
  7. Should the man of God flee these things? Yes.
  8. Should the man of God pursue righteousness, devoutness, faith, love, with endurance, suffering and meekness? Yes

Old 12-23-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophion
cherry picking bibles. LOL!

King James (KJB):
"For the love of money is the root of all evil"

Catholic bible (DR):
For the desire of money is the root of all evils

besides, in both the translations we use it still says "root of all". thats just wrong dude.

and think about it, we all love to have more money/material things, but it doesnt necessarily make us bad people. the bible is incorrect.
The definite article (the) is absent in the Greek texts. It is just "Root for of all of the evils" if one follows the Greek exactly in their word order. That is why it is better to have it as "For a root of all of the evils."
Paul was correct that WITHIN THE CONTEXT OF WHAT HE JUST SAID: A root of all evils (of what I just wrote about) is the fondness for money.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
The definite article (the) is absent in the Greek texts. It is just "Root for of all of the evils" if one follows the Greek exactly in their word order. That is why it is better to have it as "For a root of all of the evils."
Paul was correct that WITHIN THE CONTEXT OF WHAT HE JUST SAID: A root of all evils (of what I just wrote about) is the fondness for money.
its not a root of anything. just how many rich people you know who commit crime (theft, rape, murder, etc) because they love money?

If love for money is "a root of ALL evil" then tell me how does love of money related to the sin of bad mouthing other people knowing that doing so you dont really get anything in return? you just want people to hate the people you hate.

like i said we are all fond of money, but that doesnt drive us into wronging other people. those who do are driven by insecurities. they are either poor, or rich but neglected as kids.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
its not a root of anything. just how many rich people you know who commit crime (theft, rape, murder, etc) because they love money?

like i said we are all fond of money, but that doesnt drive us into wronging other people. those who do are driven by insecurities. they are either poor, or rich but neglected as kids.
Quite a lot of wealthy people are in posh prisons.

It is a ROOT of all the evils he just mentioned. In Roman days, when a man would get wealthy he might buy a chariot with a team of horses and go flying down the road over a precipice or people were always trying to hold them for ransom and on and on it goes. Look at all the wealthy rock stars who died an early death in helicopter crashes, plane crashes etc. etc.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Quite a lot of wealthy people are in posh prisons.
statistics please.

Quote:
It is a ROOT of all the evils he just mentioned. In Roman days, when a man would get wealthy he might buy a chariot with a team of horses and go flying down the road over a precipice or people were always trying to hold them for ransom and on and on it goes. Look at all the wealthy rock stars who died an early death in helicopter crashes, plane crashes etc. etc.

"ALL the evils", due.

So tell me, if love for money is "a root of ALL evils" then how does love of money relate to the sin of bad mouthing other people knowing that doing so you dont really get anything in return? you just want people to hate the people you hate.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
statistics please.
Think Bernard Madoff.
And behind this door are the stats: The criminal justice system is not biased against the poor

Quote:
"ALL the evils", due.

So tell me, if love for money is "a root of ALL evils" then how does love of money relate to the sin of bad mouthing other people knowing that doing so you dont really get anything in return? you just want people to hate the people you hate.
It is just a root. How many roots does a tree or bush have? Paul never said all evils are because of a fondness for money. But it is A root.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Think Bernard Madoff.
And behind this door are the stats: The criminal justice system is not biased against the poor
thats just one guy. on the contrary according to your source 33% of inmates were unemployed even though national unemployment level was only 6.7%. that proves my point. the poorer you are the more evils you commit. its all about insecurity.

Quote:
How many roots does a tree or bush have? Paul never said all evils are because of a fondness for money. But it is A root.
many roots. a root for love. a root for ambition. a root for creativity.

a root for ALL evils
which your bible thinks is the 'love of money'.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:09 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
When we put our sole trust in money we as Christians tend to take our eyes off the Lord, over a period of time we find that money or our love of it is in a sense an insecurity as we feel we need more, we need to earn more, to find and keep our happiness, when we should put our trust in the Lord and let Him be in control
Uh huh ... which is why many religions push for vows of poverty. You're not supposed to be enjoying yourself in this life. Nope. You should be miserable. That way you need God.

I've said many times that IF Hell actually exists, we're living in it - right this minute. There's some pretty good evidence for it, even the fact that we live through this life without God. After all, he doesn't make himself known on this world and in this life. And before you think, "But ... why do we have positive emotions and positive experiences," realize that our positive experiences are fleeting at best and then they're gone. In other words, we have positive experiences because we need something to lose - and that's a driving force in this Hellish place. We experience things like love, friendship, camaraderie, happiness, joy just so life's relentless unfairness can rip those things away - and it ALWAYS does for one reason or another. Empty holes in our lives are perhaps one of our greatest hurts.

But that's a really big IF.

It reminds me of how Winston Churchill began his speech to the people on the day Nazi Germany surrendered. He said, "We may allow ourselves a brief period of rejoicing, but let us not forget the toils and efforts that lie ahead."

I always boggled at how Churchill began that speech - why does a horrible war go on for six years while the rejoicing that follows the war's conclusion must, by default, be brief. Why can't we rejoice for six years? Everything is such a damn struggle; happiness and joy are like deserts: you only get them rarely, and only after you've finished choking down nasty vegetables that you hate.

Religion loves misery. It thrives on it. The unhappier we are, the more we need a crutch, a security blanket in the form of gods and religion. And I think Americans are some of the unhappiest people on the planet - and they have a right to be. Americans work more hours than anyone else on earth, have the least vacation time of any industrialized nation, our celebrations are brief and fairly conservative in nature (and the big holidays are all clumped together and happen one right after the other which leaves long painful stretches; New Years to Memorial Day is a nasty time of year replete with cabin fever, miserable weather, and no holidays whatsoever except "Bank holidays.")

Unfortunately, religion can be blamed for that, too, since this aversion to fun and pleasure is a direct byproduct of that crappy Puritan ideal brought over here from Europe. And then you wonder why the Puritans were persecuted in their homelands - they were cruel, merciless, fascist taskmasters that believed happiness and pleasure should only be rare and brief rewards for exceptional piousness - and NOT something that should be embraced and actively sought after.

Puritans defined the word "buzzkill" because that's exactly what they were - and we pay for that every single day. It's no coincidence that America breeds more serial killers than the rest of the world combined or why we can't open up a newspaper without seeing a mass shooting somewhere or how some celebrity was busted for pedophilia or a sports hero being arrested for beating his wife, raping someone, or cheating with steroids.

Our society is sick and that's largely because we are taught to believe that happiness can be bought yet having too much fun is a borderline sin. If you have 15 minutes of spare time, you better be filling it with work. I watched one of those court shows a few days ago - Judge Pirro it was called. I remember she told one of the litigants to "stop playing video games and do something productive." Yeah, there you go. The rotten underbelly of our society exemplified right there in those few words. Holy CRAP! This litigant is having FUN playing video games!!! Oh the horror. Oh the terror. Oh what shall we do? (I'd even wring my hands if this were a video call.) Never mind the fact that Americans only spend 4 to 6% of their income on entertainment.

And all of this falls onto the shoulders of religion - because religion demands that you put all of your "excess" time kowtowing to your deity and studying holy books. If you're having fun, you should feel GUILTY about it - as if you're committing a crime or some mortal sin. Because fun, pleasure, and entertainment (which includes sex) leads people away from God. The more miserable you are, the more you need God (or, more accurately, the more you need whatever religious cult you happened to join.)

Europe is, at last, breaking free from that kind of mentality and now some nations give as much as 4 weeks of vacation time to START while here in the U.S. we continue limping forward on an outdated, archaic worldview that has bred serial killers, sexual predators, and children growing up feral (because in the U.S.A., the best way to take care of your children is to work 80 hours a week to provide them with lots of THINGS; simply being there doesn't count for crap anymore.)

I grew up in a household that thought providing me with lots of "toys" could somehow plug the holes in my life. Instead of offering support, encouragement, advice, and companionship, I was given a new TV and then left alone. It sucks.

And SO much of this comes from these freaky religious beliefs. What's more, you don't even have to be religious to fall prey to this line of thinking. Atheists, too, are guilty of doling out very tiny doses of pleasure to themselves while almost deliberately trying to make themselves miserable the rest of the time.

We REALLY need to rethink our culture and what we want it to do for us. If it's all going to be about who has the shiniest car and the biggest house, we may as well do the rest of the world a favor and put a collective gun to our heads and reboot North America - because we will NOT survive it in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality