Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 12:55 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times

Advertisements

Yes, too much insecurity and lack of empathy are bad. But also too little insecurity and too much empathy can be bad. You have to find the middle way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 01:29 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Stalin was clinically diagnosed as being paranoid - I wouldn't call that "insecurity." That would be akin to calling the Pacific Ocean a "mud puddle." In this case, it isn't his insecurity that caused his evil, it was his mental disorder that was the culprit.

Hitler was only insecure when it came to sex and women. I very much doubt that Hitler started WWII and orchestrated the Holocaust because he was sexually frustrated. At the height of his power, he could have had sex with half the girls in Germany but he decided not to.

I think what causes most evil is a lack of empathy. When we cannot put ourselves in the victim's shoes and ask if we would want that done to us, evil is all too easy to commit. Money is a catalyst for that type of mindset, whereby the love and want of money overrides any empathic feelings we might have.

And if you believe in God then hey, he designed us that way, so shake your fist at him. He's the one who made us so susceptible to greed and avarice. When he put Adam and Eve in that garden, we as humans never had a chance.
what is a catalyst?...

Old 12-24-2014, 03:22 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
cat·a·lyst
ˈkad(ə)ləst/
noun
a substance that increases the rate of a chemical reaction without itself undergoing any permanent chemical change.
a person or thing that precipitates an event.
"the governor's speech acted as a catalyst for debate"

Old 12-24-2014, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Yes, too much insecurity and lack of empathy are bad. But also too little insecurity and too much empathy can be bad. You have to find the middle way.
Yep, no argument there.

I live with my 91 year-old grandmother who suffers from dementia. Because of this, she has adopted a purely altruistic life with no selfish needs or wants ... at all.

Thus if she sees me standing in an archway, she'll immediately ask if I want to sit where she's sitting and will start getting up. She'll try to put on my coat for me, she'll horde food that is supposed to be for her, but she saves it for me just in case I'm hungry. She frets, fusses, and dotes on everything I do ...

And it drives me absolutely CRAZY!

Yes, pure altruism and too much empathy is overbearing, annoying, and pushy. Without some degree of selfishness, believe it or not, most people would eventually get sick of it and avoid being around you.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:27 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
cat·a·lyst
ˈkad(ə)ləst/
noun
a substance that increases the rate of a chemical reaction without itself undergoing any permanent chemical change.
a person or thing that precipitates an event.
"the governor's speech acted as a catalyst for debate"
So it's a root cause?...

Old 12-24-2014, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
So it's a root cause?...
Hmm, yeah, usually it is.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:15 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,659 times
Quote:
Stalin was clinically diagnosed as being paranoid - I wouldn't call that "insecurity." That would be akin to calling the Pacific Ocean a "mud puddle." In this case, it isn't his insecurity that caused his evil, it was his mental disorder that was the culprit.

Hitler was only insecure when it came to sex and women. I very much doubt that Hitler started WWII and orchestrated the Holocaust because he was sexually frustrated. At the height of his power, he could have had sex with half the girls in Germany but he decided not to.

I think what causes most evil is a lack of empathy. When we cannot put ourselves in the victim's shoes and ask if we would want that done to us, evil is all too easy to commit. Money is a catalyst for that type of mindset, whereby the love and want of money overrides any empathic feelings we might have.

And if you believe in God then hey, he designed us that way, so shake your fist at him. He's the one who made us so susceptible to greed and avarice. When he put Adam and Eve in that garden, we as humans never had a chance.
Paranoia is defined as constant fear of betrayal. A secure (healthy) person does not constantly worry that others are out to get them.

Empathy is lack of connection with one's fellow man. Lack of empathy usually stems from a cause, except in the case of sociopaths. This cause is usually human sadness and desperation, or a feeling that other humans don't really care for them.

Greed = lack of resources plus insecurity.

A person who is starving to death will originally do desperate things to stay alive. But a person in poverty who is suicidal will never attempt to steal, because they are OK with dying.

God designed us to be what we wanted. I don't feel any great desire for money. Don't blame your hangup on God.

Also, Shinra, you're a meanie. Refusing that old woman's kindness.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:57 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
Quote:
Yep, no argument there.

I live with my 91 year-old grandmother who suffers from dementia. Because of this, she has adopted a purely altruistic life with no selfish needs or wants ... at all.

Thus if she sees me standing in an archway, she'll immediately ask if I want to sit where she's sitting and will start getting up. She'll try to put on my coat for me, she'll horde food that is supposed to be for her, but she saves it for me just in case I'm hungry. She frets, fusses, and dotes on everything I do ...

And it drives me absolutely CRAZY!

Yes, pure altruism and too much empathy is overbearing, annoying, and pushy. Without some degree of selfishness, believe it or not, most people would eventually get sick of it and avoid being around you.
Yes, my s.o.'s grandmother has that exact issue and I could handle it in short bursts, but her family really can't since they are always with her. Trying too hard comes to mind, and her family's worry for her getting into problems by trying too much to help even though she really can't. Plus, the awkwardness of having to remind her over and over again that she shouldn't inconvenience herself in her old age, and that what she tries to give, a lot of the time others weren't asking for nor would need or want.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Also, Shinra, you're a meanie. Refusing that old woman's kindness.
Actually, I refuse her kindness for her own safety. A number of things she does (or wants to do) would put her at great risk of a fall. I've already dealt with 3 falls in the past year that put her in the hospital. The problem with her is that she's too mobile for her own good. Most 91 year-old grandmas (who weigh less than their age) are content to sit comfortably in a chair and engage in a hobby, watch their favorite shows, etc.

Not her. She has to be up in your business 24/7 - even to the extent of coming into my room at night to wake me up just to make sure I'm not dead.

Like I said with my original point - you need to have a degree of selfishness or you'll end up rubbing everyone around you raw to the nerve. Even my mother, who spent 20 years educating special needs kids, is losing her patience. My grandmother's altruism is not warm and fuzzy, it is intrusive, pushy, and degrading.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Yes, my s.o.'s grandmother has that exact issue and I could handle it in short bursts, but her family really can't since they are always with her. Trying too hard comes to mind, and her family's worry for her getting into problems by trying too much to help even though she really can't. Plus, the awkwardness of having to remind her over and over again that she shouldn't inconvenience herself in her old age, and that what she tries to give, a lot of the time others weren't asking for nor would need or want.
Yep ...

It's just as my uncle once said to her: "Sometimes the best help you can give is not to help."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality