Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 02:33 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
I never felt that way. Before I gave my life to Christ, I honestly believed people that "witnessed" to me were kooks! Now that U believe, alot of non believers think I'm a kook! Trying to force my beliefs on others is offensive. Keeping them to myself offends God. It's a matter of allowing His Holy Spirit to guide me to talk about my Faith when the opportunity arises. Many people get hostile- some because of bad experiences regarding religion, pastors, etc. Many get hostile because that's what coviction of sin does to us- we don't like it, and don't want to face it.
When you say you are sharing your faith when the opportunity arises what exactly do you mean? Because it sounds like what you're saying is that you are trying to convince people that they are sinful (since you say that is what they are offended by and get hostile about). Do you, as a Christian, believe that God is offended (as you said) when you don't point out their "sin"? Some Christians do seem to think that that is part of what it means to " share their faith".

Old 02-06-2015, 03:04 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,612,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
I never felt that way. Before I gave my life to Christ, I honestly believed people that "witnessed" to me were kooks! Now that U believe, alot of non believers think I'm a kook! Trying to force my beliefs on others is offensive. Keeping them to myself offends God. It's a matter of allowing His Holy Spirit to guide me to talk about my Faith when the opportunity arises. Many people get hostile- some because of bad experiences regarding religion, pastors, etc. Many get hostile because that's what coviction of sin does to us- we don't like it, and don't want to face it.
What do you consider "witnessing"? How and when do you witness?

Old 02-06-2015, 04:02 PM

350 posts, read 569,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
It is a pleasure conversing with you.

I think women should be empowered. I believe we are afraid of this and religions are especially afraid. Who will be subjugate to our will then? Women should not have to fight their way to the church pulpit or church hierarchy.

We want to empower them and tell them what to do. We expect them to accept Christ as their savior. Given the history of religion and the current climate those two things are mutually exclusive.

Women are not very welcomed, and sooner, or later they will stop pushing back and step aside, putting their energies where they will make a difference.
I have great respect for teachings of Jesus, and I have deep respect for the revolution he started. I am saddened it has been co-opted and in some cases corrupted.
Thanks for the compliment, was not expecting that!

I think the most important thing to consider is that God loves women and men equally as his children. Jesus considered women intelligent and dignified enough to listen to and learn from his teachings, unlike other instructors of the time. Women can accept salvation and be imbued with the Holy Spirit, just like a man. They are not a lesser creation by any means.

Yet, what would you say to the notion that men and woman were created to fulfill different roles?

Last edited by Dopefish; 02-06-2015 at 04:15 PM..

Old 02-06-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archmage View Post
Thanks for the compliment, was not expecting that!

I think the most important thing to consider is that God loves women and men equally as his children. Jesus considered women intelligent and dignified enough to listen to and learn from his teachings, unlike other instructors of the time. Women can accept salvation and be imbued with the Holy Spirit, just like a man. They are not a lesser creation by any means.

Yet, what would you say to the notion that men and woman were created to fulfill different roles?

Men and women may have been created to fulfill different roles, but women are not allowed to fulfill their destiny without plenty, and too much interference from men. I have listed, but a few.

We have been property for far longer than free.

Jesus on the other hand had a deep appreciation for strong women. He was an anarchist and would have been lost to obscurity except for the women taking care of him in his travels.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:14 PM

63 posts, read 50,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post

Men and women may have been created to fulfill different roles, but women are not allowed to fulfill their destiny without plenty, and too much interference from men. I have listed, but a few.

We have been property for far longer than free.

Jesus on the other hand had a deep appreciation for strong women. He was an anarchist and would have been lost to obscurity except for the women taking care of him in his travels.
How many people actually know what their destiny is, in the eyes of God? Just follow the Bible, and simply put your trust in God, that He will lead you in your life. Forget about things you would like to take place, and concentrate on praying to God for wisdom, knowledge, understanding and experience. Ask Him what you can do for Him, and be ready for the fight of your life, against the Prince of the world. Do you really think you can handle that? It is no 'joy ride'.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:02 AM

106 posts, read 89,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I have had several examples of relatives, friends, workmates and strangers coming to me and trying to recruit me to their religion. Almost always Christianity.
If a polite refusal was all that was required, I would not feel that anything was being pushed, but the repeated nagging, arguing and recommendations to read this book, look at that tract or watch this video begins to get up my nose, frankly, and with some, even when a discussion has reduced them to the the stage where any reasonable person would be wondering whether they shouldn't think again, the denialist carapace hasn't even been dented and the flow of pamphlets, polemics and booklets continues.
This is just the personal stuff. In the public world, religion is interfering in everything, telling us how to live, how to run our country, what our laws should be. And just recently, creeping into education and trying to indoctrinate the kids with Creationist garbage.
That's just here. In America, I wonder that the question even needed to be asked.
Well put AREQUPA but I have another objection to most evangelical Christians. They refuse, or are forbidden to, examine anything of recent biblical scholarship swallowing whole the pre-degested truth their so called elders feed them. It would be funny if it wasn't tragic that many of these people take the bible to be the innerant word of God ignoring the fact that the Roman Church in it's early days altered, added to and censored the gospels. OK, the Jehovah's Witnesses have something they take to be their own translation but even this is based on earlier mangled versions. My reaction when evangelists insist their bible is the innerant word of God is to inform them such an assumption constitutes a potential if not certain form of blasphemy.

There's the other issue of evangelists wanting to pull down the wall between church and state and we all know where that leads even though many Christians will refuse to face the implications.
But hey, Christians aren't the only ones to try and shove their superstitions down others throats. Any faith vain enough to delude itself God is on their side will happily do so.

"As a cage full of birds, so are their houses full of deceit, therefore they are become great, and waxen rich"
Jeremiah Ch:5.V:27

Old 02-07-2015, 07:19 AM

802 posts, read 453,632 times
[quote=Archmage;38329707]I'm not trying to start a debate here, so please don't nitpick each other's comments. I'm just asking a question, not trying to offend. I've been one of the people who's dealt with this very topic, so I'm curious why other people feel the way they do.

Many non-religious, atheist, or agnostic people cite one of the reasons they are turned off from Christianity is that they feel like Christians are always trying to push their beliefs on them. This may be through being witnessed to, being forced to attend church or a religious school as a child, or off-putting comments from friends, family, or other people. Or, I suppose something else entirely, it's really hard to say.

My main question is this: What about the way Christianity was presented to you made you feel like it was being forced down your throat? And, what could the person(s) who presented it you have done differently to make it less of a bitter pill to swallow?

RESPONSE:

They should not try to tell me that the Bible is "inspired" and "inerrant" until they are prepared to prove this threshold premise.

Having them come up to me and start quoting bible passages as if they are true, when they have proven not such thing is a real put-off.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorwald Johansen View Post
How many people actually know what their destiny is, in the eyes of God? Just follow the Bible, and simply put your trust in God, that He will lead you in your life. Forget about things you would like to take place, and concentrate on praying to God for wisdom, knowledge, understanding and experience. Ask Him what you can do for Him, and be ready for the fight of your life, against the Prince of the world. Do you really think you can handle that? It is no 'joy ride'.

I have always known my destiny. I know it sounds odd, but true none the less.

I do not ask God for anything and never have. I do not ask God what I can do for her. God is masculine and feminine despite all the hype, and she hears me. I do not have to do anything for her. Our relationship is not one of worship, and control, but a long friendship still full of adventure and joy.

God does not want me to use one book, as that would be a bit of a waste when there are so many to read. So, I have read many.

It has never been hard, but is, and has been quite a ride.

Last edited by RonkonkomaNative; 02-07-2015 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-07-2015, 10:27 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,253,254 times
Again the question is, why wouldn't a Christian tell others about the most amazing, wonderful, life-changing event in their entire lives? Not only does Jesus command us to do so, it is a natural thing to tell everyone when something amazing happens to you!
And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” (Matt. 28:18-20)
Now some people are going to receive this gospel of Christ, this 'good news' and believe in Jesus and accept eternal life and others will mock, curse and reject this gospel. We are simply the sowers, spreading the seed of salvation to all people. In Matthew 13, Jesus teaches that sometimes the seed falls on rocky ground, and is not received, but that does not mean we should stop reaching out to people and following the example of Christ and love people enough to show them the truth of God's salvation.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:43 AM

I would love to have a beer with Jesus the man. The man with dirt and dust on the hem of his garment. I want to know the man who scratched his privates, and passed gas.

I want to have a martini with the man sitting with his friends while they planned their next move.
I want to have a glass of milk with the group sitting in the room where they laughed and loved and ate.I want to sit with the women while they cooked, served,and planned the revolution. I want to learn their names. I find that group of people fascinating.

Imagine that group of friends who changed the world with their revolution, but the revolution evolved into worshiping the cross you were crucified on rather than what you tried to do for the poor. It evolved into large buildings, and silken robes and hats. Imagine your entire life reduced to a fashion statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality