Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 11:34 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,636,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDALLOKUYA View Post
There are no "good" people. We all sin regularly.
I feel so terribly sorry for you. It must be a horrible existence, being a Christian. As a non-Christian, I'm fortunate because I get to live in a world that's filled with good people - kind, caring, loving, honest people, people who sometimes do bad things because humans are imperfect, but people who nevertheless try to do the best they can with whatever they have. It's a wonderful, beautiful place to live, filled with wonder and happiness. And anyone can live here who wants to!

But you, for some reason, have chosen to live in a different world. A dark, horrible place, where there are no good people - where life is just a miserable ordeal, something not to be enjoyed but endured, with no hope of anything better until you die. And even then, no guarantee, because your god is a capricious, petty, childlike, criminally insane sociopath who makes life and death decisions about his followers on a whim. So who knows what he has in store for you when you die? You could live an exemplary life, the life of a saint, and still burn in hell for all eternity because your god decides to use you as an example to teach others how great and powerful he is.

I'm so sorry you've chosen to live in such a hell. Life is such a wonderful experience; it's a terrible tragedy to waste it by choosing to spend it wallowing in self-loathing and misery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 11:48 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,328,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
You realize this expression can mean two different things, right? It depends on capitalization.

"The meek will inherit dirt (nothing)"

OR

"The meek will inherit Earth"

There are also two types of meekness. One will get you hurt and abused, and one is genuine kindness.
In other words, you're trying to weasel out of the idea that the poor and downtrodden are to inherit the planet, not the arrogant, the prideful, the greedy, the dispassionate, the uncaring, or the powerful.

Because, for crying out loud, earth was always a synonym for the land upon which we lived - not specifically just dirt. Few people, even in formal writing, actually capitalize "earth" and I very much doubt that the primitives of the age made a distinction between the dirt of the ground and the planet where we lived. I don't even think they were fully cognizant of even living on an actual planet.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:49 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,210,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I feel so terribly sorry for you. It must be a horrible existence, being a Christian. As a non-Christian, I'm fortunate because I get to live in a world that's filled with good people - kind, caring, loving, honest people, people who sometimes do bad things because humans are imperfect, but people who nevertheless try to do the best they can with whatever they have. It's a wonderful, beautiful place to live, filled with wonder and happiness. And anyone can live here who wants to!

But you, for some reason, have chosen to live in a different world. A dark, horrible place, where there are no good people - where life is just a miserable ordeal, something not to be enjoyed but endured, with no hope of anything better until you die. And even then, no guarantee, because your god is a capricious, petty, childlike, criminally insane sociopath who makes life and death decisions about his followers on a whim. So who knows what he has in store for you when you die? You could live an exemplary life, the life of a saint, and still burn in hell for all eternity because your god decides to use you as an example to teach others how great and powerful he is.

I'm so sorry you've chosen to live in such a hell. Life is such a wonderful experience; it's a terrible tragedy to waste it by choosing to spend it wallowing in self-loathing and misery.
Great post, Albert.

Too soon etc.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDALLOKUYA View Post
Well, if you are familiar with it the answer is obvious and clear as day spelled out in the Bible.

There are no "good" people. We all sin regularly.

This is a fallen world with all kinds of nasty, vile, and evil things we as people are subject to.

You think 10 years feels like forever, you dont want to see what actual forever is.
This is the kind of melancholy, depressing worldview that makes me SO glad I'm not a Christian. If I wasn't so busy writing this post, I'd probably go slit my wrists while biting down on a cyanide tablet while simultaneously shooting myself with a 10-gauge shotgun and jumping into a pit of acid.

Damn!

Old 02-13-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You're correct. God WILL judge all of mankind in the end. Jesus told the parable of the weeds sowed in the field...the servants asked the landowner if they ought to pull the weeds. But the landowner's response? Leave them.....when they do the harvest at the end of the season they'll keep the good, and toss the bad into the fiery furnace. Bad people will be judged. Unless they have someone to pay the penalty for them.
I used to get irritated when I saw this kind of subversive, divisive crap being bandied about, but now it just makes me sad.

No, seriously, it really does.

Bad people will be judged. Toss the bad into the fiery furnace.

Except that's not what it REALLY means.

No, what it means is: "Those who do not join my cult and bow down to my God are deserving to die a horrible nasty death."

It has nothing really to do with "good" and "bad" but rather who knuckles under and joins the religion and who does not.

Religions have often been traditionally brutal against other rival faiths. Why do you think Christians were persecuted for not honoring Rome's pagan gods? Why do you suppose the Israelites (Jews) engaged in a brutal, genocidal war against non-Christian cities?

Uh huh.

Well, kudos for the cult of Christ for at least doing away with actual worldly violence, but the brutality of their religion and its intolerance of other faiths is still extent in Christianity's belief system. So while Christians can't actively go out and kill non-believers (though early Christian leaders did exactly that), they do the next best thing and kill them in the afterlife - but the brutality of the belief remains exactly the same.

Perhaps that's something you really OUGHT to think about the next time you start preaching the separation of the wheat from the chaff.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:43 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,805,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post

What a load of crap! Christianity is nothing like that, and you know it.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What a load of crap! Christianity is nothing like that, and you know it.
Let me guess: you didn't read the entire thread.

Old 02-13-2015, 05:46 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,435,317 times
Default Rebellion

I think the reason non-Christians,or more seemingly 'anti-Christians' like to bash Christian beliefs is because it just takes too much effort to adhere to many principles and just live in a 'free and fun' world where anything goes and everyone does no wrong...blissful ignorance perhaps?

Old 02-13-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I think the reason non-Christians,or more seemingly 'anti-Christians' like to bash Christian beliefs is because it just takes too much effort to adhere to many principles and just live in a 'free and fun' world where anything goes and everyone does no wrong...blissful ignorance perhaps?
Absolutely. Only it's on your, and other fundavangelists' end.

What an absurd and baseless assertion.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:33 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,621,295 times
My relationship with the Universe is very simple. I am grateful there is a Universe. I am grateful I am part of it. I do no harm.
I have a deep appreciation for Jesus. He was a radical preacher who believed the poor deserved help, and respect. They deserved to be healthy, and well fed. Jesus is a part of my Universe.

The bible tells of a vindictive needy God. He requires so much attention, we will be doomed to a fiery hell if we fail to meet his expectations. That God has nothing to do with Jesus.

Perhaps I should call myself a Nazarene rather than a Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality