Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 09:13 AM

2,854 posts, read 2,053,876 times

Advertisements

sh-t is perceived as all bad. Poo is perceived as not all bad.
Moderator cut: deleted

It is certainly true that nothing is a "sin" (nothing is "all-bad") and that people should not be "judged" because nobody is "all-bad" and therefore nobody deserves damnation but it does not follow that everything is all-good. That is the opposite mistake. Everything is definitely not all-good and anarchy is definitely not freedom. People that believe that everything is all good seem to be hyper-sensitive to pain which they seem to experience differently from other people (as though pain were all bad). Perhaps for this very reason they are the most militant anti-theists (and ultimately anti-everyone).

Many (but not all) theists perceive God as all good. Drug addicts perceive their drugs as being all good. The cults of personality surrounding Hitler and Stalin depicted (and their devotees perceived) them as all good.

To worship something is to perceive that something as being "all good". Worship (and all or nothing thinking in general) is not limited to theists and belief in God does not necessarily entail worshiping God.

I do not believe that anything is all good or all bad. In reality even God would have a shadow.

You are free to choose to believe that 2+2=5 just as long as you know, and arent in denial, that it actually equals 4 (after all what could you possibly hope to gain by lying to yourself?)

What difference does it make whether God exists? A person approached the Buddha asking, “What will happen after I die? What was my form before my birth? What is the source of all we see? Answer these questions and I will become your disciple.” The Buddha replied in this manner:

A man is shot with a poison arrow. Wounded, he refuses any aid, demanding answers to his questions. “Who shot the arrow? What is the poison? Of what wood is the shaft? From which bird came the feathers for the flight?” Surely he will die with these questions still unanswered.

The basic teaching of Buddhism is that humans are sick and that the cause of that sickness is cravings. Cravings are not the same as desires. Desires are normal and healthy and do not cause suffering. You desire things because they are desirable. You crave things because they are forbidden

Last edited by june 7th; 04-06-2015 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: Improper language despite editing of the word itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality