Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 01:32 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
To keep kids from having a knowing and loving experience with God and His Son Jesus to show their loving kindness is child abuse in itself, maybe a bit strong of a word to use but keeping him from the word of God is absurd. Sure things, like morals and values start at home but they don't end there, they just begin.
Just a fair warning: my parents think exactly like you do. All three of their children became atheists or agnostics soon after they encountered the real world outside of the fundamentalist Christian bubble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 02:18 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Regardless of all the others teachings foisted on a child, just instilling the idea that they are sinful/bad/worthless ...especially through no fault of their own, but inherently...is one of the most detrimental and disgusting things I can think of.
Good way to put a monkey on their back right from the get-go. And not even one they can ever completely throw off, only appease if they follow all the rules.
Degrees of physical abuse beside the point, this is one of the most harmful acts of mental abuse I can think of.
This is correct and it is the primary evil of the anti-Christ apostate Christianity that dominates the majority . . . as prophesied for these latter days. I know you do not credit any such thing as prophecy . . . but it is telling that it was foretold. Christ is ALL about agape love . . . NOT the ancient ignorance and superstition that has come to dominate the religion that purports to follow him.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:28 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,826,625 times
The atheists on this forum seem very vile against Christianity for the most part. Thinking something as harmless as teaching YOUR child about God is the equivalent of "child abuse." Most kids I know who were raised in the church turned out fine. I know atheists who ended up being druggies.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:42 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is correct and it is the primary evil of the anti-Christ apostate Christianity that dominates the majority . . . as prophesied for these latter days. I know you do not credit any such thing as prophecy . . . but it is telling that it was foretold. Christ is ALL about agape love . . . NOT the ancient ignorance and superstition that has come to dominate the religion that purports to follow him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
The atheists on this forum seem very vile against Christianity for the most part. Thinking something as harmless as teaching YOUR child about God is the equivalent of "child abuse." Most kids I know who were raised in the church turned out fine. I know atheists who ended up being druggies.
I am no atheist. I am a Christian. But I deplore the anti-Christ apostasy that dominates the churches with ancient ignorance and superstition that IS very harmful to children. Teaching about God is NOT child abuse . . . but teaching the vile and ignorant belief that we are "filthy rags" and "sinners" who cannot please a wrathful God who had to be appeased by a horrendous scourging and crucifixion as a blood sacrifice is just evil.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:49 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I agree, but I'm just trying to see this from a realistic perspective. If your children (I'm going to just assume you have some), were to ask you about God (I'm assuming they had Christian friends and had heard those friends talking about God), would you try to keep your answer as objective and unbiased as humanly possible, or would you explain to your kids that God's like Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy and that their friends are merely delusional? If this is what you believe, would you be outspoken about it, or would you try to soft-pedal your response? I think indoctrination can go both ways, if you know what I mean.
I've faced that.

My daughter was about 14, and wondered why we don't go to church like some of her friends. We had a good discussion about various religions, and she asked if she could go to a church with her friends.

I told her off course, maybe it would help answer some of her questions and I would drive her.

She never ended up going, but that was her choice.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:55 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I've faced that.

My daughter was about 14, and wondered why we don't go to church like some of her friends. We had a good discussion about various religions, and she asked if she could go to a church with her friends.

I told her off course, maybe it would help answer some of her questions and I would drive her.

That's good to hear, cupper. (Not that she ended up not going, but that you were okay with it. )

Old 04-23-2015, 04:07 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,554,212 times
Quote:
Your first premise; we are born without belief. Period.

You're well aware that children are malleable and easily influenced. Muslim children tend to have Muslim parents, LDS children LDS parents, Hindi children have Hindu parents.

There is nothing ingrained in the human conscience that directs to one or any religion other than the parental and to some degree, societal influence.
I can't thank this post, but most religious people don't seem to put any thought into this. They just quote their respective books and try to live in their little bubbles where other people are more likely to agree with what they think.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:27 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
To keep kids from having a knowing and loving experience with God and His Son Jesus to show their loving kindness is child abuse in itself, maybe a bit strong of a word to use but keeping him from the word of God is absurd. Sure things, like morals and values start at home but they don't end there, they just begin.
Morality has nothing to do with religion. Nothing. SOME people like to think it does because they're too afraid of themselves. They believe that, without a God to whip them in line, they would become drooling psychopaths who would flounce around town committing evil acts just for the sake of evilness. It's called a lack of confidence and low self-esteem. Of course, when you've been brainwashed into believing you're an evil slug not worth the next bowel movement of a ground sloth, I guess that attitude about themselves should be par for the course.

Of course, as a Christian, it's natural for you to think that kids should be fed ... not just religion, but Christianity. It's like saying, "Oh sure, son, you can explore all the religions and decide for yourself - after you've spent 18 years going to Christian Sunday school and various Christian church services." That's the BIG difference between atheist parents and Christian parents.

Since we atheists think all religions are bunk, it really doesn't matter much which religion our kids pick - assuming they pick one. Of course we might rather they get involved with one of the more philosophical religions, but if they choose to be a rabid Southern Baptist hate-flinger, well ... what can we really do about it?

Christians, on the other hand, are already convinced that their religion is the only true religion and their god is the only true God. We live in a country that goes positively ape if anything non-Christian is taught in a public school (including evolution and the Big Bang) so why on earth would any sane person believe that these same Christians are going to allow their kids to become a member of a different religion - or to become an atheist. Now THAT is absurd. It would be more accurate to say that fundamentalists, especially, would say, "As long as you live under my roof, you're going to learn how to be a Christian, and if I catch you reading the Qu'ran, the Torah, the Egyptian Book of the Dead, the Hindu Vedas, or anything by Dawkins, Hitchens, Kraus, Nye ... and certainly NOT that evil witch Rawling ... you'll be grounded for a month with only a Bible to keep you company. You can do what you want when you're an adult and move out, but until then, you are going to be a <insert specific denomination here> Christian."

Now, maybe more liberal Christians would allow their kids to wander off to follow a religion the parents must believe is wrong and false, but I doubt if even 1 out of ever 100 fundevangelists would allow such a thing - at least not without dire consequences.

Not even the more militant atheists have said anything like, "I think kids need to be fed atheism because denying kids the ability to reason and understand the difference between reality and an ancient Bronze Age fantasy is child abuse. Because MY child isn't going to be one of those kids who grows up to believe the earth is 6,000 years old and that Genesis was an historical account of the beginning of life. After all, American kids will never be able to compete with kids from the rest of the world if that kind of foolishness is used in place of real facts."

Yeah, no one has said anything like that. Instead, they are all willing to let their kids become Christians if that's what they really want. I doubt, very much doubt, that many fundamentalist Christians can say the same about letting their kids become atheists.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:39 PM

950 posts, read 924,487 times
Quote:
I've faced that.

Do you give her the same choice of attending school or staying home ?

Old 04-23-2015, 04:42 PM

950 posts, read 924,487 times
Yup, .........demonize Christianity......was what Marshal Kirk and Hunter Madsen advised gays to do to get their lifestyle accepted.

Seems gay posters are happy to oblige.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality