Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 11:23 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,228,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Maybe you need to reevaluate who really are Christians?

Those that have love towards all including their enemies
Those that do not participate in carnal warfare
Those that accept Jesus as God's salvation
Those that preach the Good News of the Kingdom just as Jesus commanded his disciples to do
Those that base their teachings on God's Word
Those that do not get involve in the divisions and hatred created by politics, prejudice, ethnic strife, etc.

Many JWs are involved in the trades and include plumbers, electricians, mechanics, welders as well as small businessmen. Apparently some have a problem with people making an honest living by getting their hands dirty and not pursuing a higher education.

There are also those like myself who have professional degrees. However I would never, even in my former faith, view people who had not pursued a higher education as somehow missing out or ignorant. By the way, my own children are JWs and pursuing college degrees. Ultimately it is an individual choice.
I'm glad you're giving your children a chance to wake up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 02:14 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,152,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'm glad you're giving your children a chance to wake up.
Wake up from what?

Non belief that would condemn every man, woman, and child that has lived, lives and will ever live to only one life for an eternity. Cold and sad.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:24 AM

18,511 posts, read 9,190,117 times
Quote:
Wake up from what?

Non belief that would condemn every man, woman, and child that has lived, lives and will ever live to only one life for an eternity. Cold and sad.
That statement is evidence of an attitude which is almost identical to Christian fundamentalism. But they don't believe in the Trinity so they would be considered heretics by fundamentalism.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:55 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,228,729 times
Quote:
Wake up from what?

Waking up from believing your second sentence is remotely true.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:04 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,261,976 times
Quote:
Wake up from what?

Based on YOUR opinion(s)?

Old 06-14-2015, 11:42 AM

37,497 posts, read 61,508,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
That statement is evidence of an attitude which is almost identical to Christian fundamentalism. But they don't believe in the Trinity so they would be considered heretics by fundamentalism.
My church is firmly in the folds of fundamentalism, and we embrace Monotheism.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:10 PM

3,805 posts, read 3,008,477 times
Quote:
Wake up from what?

This is an elitist view held by Christian Fundamentalism as well.
It basically gives no hope to any atheist or any other non-Christian religion, which is complete contrast to what God would want.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:34 PM

18,511 posts, read 9,190,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
This is an elitist view held by Christian Fundamentalism as well.
It basically gives no hope to any atheist or any other non-Christian religion, which is complete contrast to what God would want.
How do you know what "God" would want? I don't understand how people can claim to know such things.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:47 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,077,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Maybe I need to re-evaluate my default stance that JWs are not really Christians, but a sort of fork of Christianity (to use a programming term). Because these JW teachings give me pause. There's a link on that page to several more, but these are arguably the best.

The irony for me is that I don't think there's much in these quotations that Christian fundamentalism would object to despite their insistence that JWs are cultists pushing a patently false religion; it's just that fundamentalists wouldn't be so overt and legalistic about most of them. For example the injunction to shun apostates would be accepted in principle, but not to the extent of invading personal privacy by, say, rebuking a parent for even speaking to a child who has left the faith. The Christian fundamentalist would say "let's not get so extreme as that" as well as "let's not give up hope" and "let's not stop showing unconditional love" but at a conceptual level would be just as harsh.

And then of course there's this, which is terribly familiar and could come from any evangelical's playbook, other than them feeling vaguely embarrassed to flog it so openly:
JW is more Jewish-y....

Old 06-16-2015, 05:52 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,077,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My church is firmly in the folds of fundamentalism, and we embrace Monotheism.
And that is why you are a good man and by degrees you were made better...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality