Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 01:23 PM

22,192 posts, read 19,227,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
You need to find out where the truth lies, NOT where you feel most comfortable because many times the truth is very uncomfortable, but we must seek it anyway.
That's only the case if a person believes that life is meant to be a struggle and a misery and a hardship. Others believe that life is filled with joy and happiness, a sense of belonging and peace and harmony. Each will seek and find their own level of comfort, or discomfort, to match what they believe life is "really" about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
We go to a fairly small church, maybe about 500-600 members, Sunday morning will probably see about 200.
Holey moley!
Small church to me is about 20-40 in attendance on a Sunday morning!
Largest church i ever attended had around 150-180 on a Sunday morning!
WOW!

Old 02-01-2008, 04:11 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
Holey moley!
Small church to me is about 20-40 in attendance on a Sunday morning!
Largest church i ever attended had around 150-180 on a Sunday morning!
WOW!
Whoops!! that was badly worded. We have several churches in our area that are large in the sense that they have a couple thousands in ADULT membership. The attendance may be only a couple of hundred. A membership of about 600, including CHILDREN, would be considered small. I don't know what our adult membership would be.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:20 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
You could take the belief net's belief o matic quiz to see what percentage of various denominations agree with your beliefs. That would give you a place to start visiting more like minded churches.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:11 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,467 times
Default Chaos Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
You could take the belief net's belief o matic quiz to see what percentage of various denominations agree with your beliefs. That would give you a place to start visiting more like minded churches.
Since when does it matter what YOU believe? Since when does moral truth change over time? Is that why there's 32,000+ varieties of Protestant churches? Does this fluid gray faith allow you to believe and bail from one church and start a new one when you believe something new or stop believing something else? Does this chaos allow you to replace your old preacher when YOU decide his beliefs don't jive with yours? Is that what they mean by PERSONAL savior? Since when do lay folk get to make the rules? Is God in charge or are YOU in charge?

I am starting a new religion where I just believe in God, but I can do whatever I want and still get to heaven. Hey if you don't agree with me, tough. That's what I believe. Why have have your religion challenge you when you can come to my new church and do whatever the heck you want. It's just a big party......wooooooo hoooooooo!

So Protestants can just pick and choose what they want to believe? I just don't get you folks.

Last edited by juj; 02-02-2008 at 09:25 AM..

Old 02-02-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Since when does it matter what YOU believe? Does this allow you to bail from one church when you believe something new or stop believing something else? Does this chaos allow you to replace your old preacher when YOU decide his beliefs don't jive with yours?
Of course! Why not?

I am the only one who knows what is right for me, so I get to pick! And as I grow and mature and evolve and expand in understanding, yes for me that does = change = improvement. God wants me to grow into my best self, to grow strong and competent in living my life and making decisions.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:30 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
Of course! Why not?

I am the only one who knows what is right for me, so I get to pick! And as I grow and mature and evolve and expand in understanding, yes for me that does = change = improvement. God wants me to grow into my best self, to grow strong and competent in living my life and making decisions.
God wants you to grow in knowledge of him. He want you to change for the better to fully understand his purpose for you. Yes, you change, but that doesn't mean the rules change. You just understand more.

The culmination of your thinking and dare I say, Protestantism, is that man is not made in the image of God, but rather, God is made in the image of man. Because afterall, He is whatever you believe He is and the rules are whatever you think they should be.

Last edited by juj; 02-02-2008 at 09:43 AM..

Old 02-02-2008, 09:56 AM

120 posts, read 128,012 times
Quote:
I know that Catholics believe that the truth cannot trump truth. And because of that, they also believe that science can co-exist with Catholic faith.

Here's a website with some Faith & Science discussions:

Catholic Answers: Library: Faith & Science
+1

Old 02-02-2008, 09:56 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
I am not wise enough to be 100% sure of what God wants.

It's nice to know that there are people who are so close to Him that they have no problem with knowing exactly what He means or wants. I guess they have a right to be proud.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:11 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
For a long time I've been very hostile towards religon. Without going into too much detail, I grew up in a fundamentalist Baptist home and was very turned off by the way the Bible was used for control. There wasn't alot of conversation about issues; we only heard you can't do this or this is the way it is, "because the Bible said so." Needless to say, I grew up in an angry and cold home. I now know this isn't what Christianity is about but is has colored my perception.

Recently, I've become interested in religion again as I want that influence in my life. I believe I have lost my way and need the moral guidance and community religion can offer. However, I don't want to go to a church that preaches "evolution is evil" and that "the earth is 6,000 years old". I personally believe that God and evolution are not mutually exclusive ideas.

I've searched for a church that aligns with my beliefs but cannot find one. Unitarianism seemed to be promising but the more I read about it the more I felt this is not for me. Does anybody know of any church's or groups that fit within this belief system? Is anybody out there searching for something similar to me?
I don't know of any. May I suggest you forget religion and just get rid of all those preconceived ideas about religion or Christianity. Take up your Bible and start to read. The best way to be taught by God is to pray and listen to Him through the Bible. Let Him teach you and speak to you through the Bible. I guarantee you will find yourself changing some of the ideas you previously had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality