Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does a god exist?
Yes, I am absolutely sure of it! 31 37.80%
Perhaps, it's more likely that he does 6 7.32%
I just don't know 1 1.22%
More likely no, but his existence is neither provable nor disprovable 31 37.80%
Absolutely not! 13 15.85%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 07:41 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Some people believe that for certain that a god exists (99%-100%). They would even say that they "know" a deity exists. On the other hand, others say that he doesn't exist at all.
How certain are you God does not exist? And why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 07:44 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
you do not explain what you feel it is I do not understand.
...I will belittle it, deride it, and denigrate it....I have no respect, and likely never will, for people backing up assertions with nothing but claims of their own expertise.
... Asserting nonsense and then asserting your own supposed expertise is to be denigrated wherever we observe it.
relationship with God = topic of this thread
expertise = personal experience

that is another difference: having a great deal of respect and regard for another person's life and experience.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 10-26-2015 at 07:56 AM..

Old 10-26-2015, 07:46 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,376,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
relationship with God = topic of this thread
expertise = personal experience
Nice of you to change the topic of the thread to suit yourself. But anyone who can read and read the title and see the topic of the thread is about the existence of that god or not. So I am afraid your attempt to change reality to dodge replying to.... well anything at all in my previous post..... is as transparent as it is a failure. That is to say: Very.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:17 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
so when you don't understand something....you look down on it, and claim it is "wishy washy" and has no value.
Heh, this reminds me of when I used to post on a forum that contained a lot of neo-con conspiracy theorists. They could rant for hours about New World Order conspiracies, Truther nonsense, and .... well, just about every major event in history had a conspiracy behind it.

Anyway, they did the same thing: Whenever I confronted them with evidence and facts showing how bogus their conspiracies were, I was told I didn't understand it. Because, hey, if I did understand, I would be a True Believer.

As an atheist, it stands to reason that I believe religion was made-up from the very first word. While someone with letters after their name might have expertise in nitpicking various translations and meanings behind the verses in a holy book, the holy book itself is still just a collection of myths and often arbitrary rules designed to make a perpetually angry god ... somehow be happy.

It's a lot like having expertise or a degree in literature. Sure, you can pluck out all of the symbology in a story like "Hills Like White Elephants" but that doesn't make the story true or even worthy of notoriety. Same goes with holy books.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:36 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Heh, this reminds me of when I used to post on a forum that contained a lot of neo-con conspiracy theorists. They could rant for hours about New World Order conspiracies, Truther nonsense, and .... well, just about every major event in history had a conspiracy behind it.

Anyway, they did the same thing: Whenever I confronted them with evidence and facts showing how bogus their conspiracies were, I was told I didn't understand it. Because, hey, if I did understand, I would be a True Believer.

As an atheist, it stands to reason that I believe religion was made-up from the very first word. While someone with letters after their name might have expertise in nitpicking various translations and meanings behind the verses in a holy book, the holy book itself is still just a collection of myths and often arbitrary rules designed to make a perpetually angry god ... somehow be happy.

It's a lot like having expertise or a degree in literature. Sure, you can pluck out all of the symbology in a story like "Hills Like White Elephants" but that doesn't make the story true or even worthy of notoriety. Same goes with holy books.

You have no verifiable proof that the Bible is a collection of myths. So why say it as if it is so?

Old 10-26-2015, 01:59 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
You have no verifiable proof that the Bible is a collection of myths. So why say it as if it is so?
Proof is unnecessary.

A reasonable amount of common sense and a primary school education should do it -- for most.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:04 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
You've been around here long enough to read the mountains of proof that many of the stories in the Bible are myths. You simply refuse to acknowledge it.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:48 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
You have no verifiable proof that it is NOT, Eusebius, so why say it is historical truth??? Myths and stories are products of our consciousness and our consciousness comes from God, so that alone justifies us in expecting that the myths and stories can contain inspirations from God. What else do you need???

Old 10-26-2015, 04:41 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
How certain are you God does not exist? And why?
not sure that I am even real; really. All I can say the probability of "something more complex" is far more likely than "nothing". I use physics, chemistry, and engineering. That statement does not mean we can justify any killing or forcing of an all powerful omni-dude from any one religion. It actually means the religions got it wrong and need to grow up.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:47 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Now, there's a range of belief -positions, old chum and none seem to agree with you. If reason and evidence count for anything, the Bible is a collection of Myths and tall stories - with some history mixed in.

I am not going to rule out Something More Complex, even though I have not been shown convincing evidence for it, so I don't believe it until it is. But I do Rule out the Bible as being reliable in the God -claims at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality