Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 09:33 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
The headline reads:

Christian website: Don’t look at your wife’s face during sex to enjoy it even when she resists

And why not look at her?

So you don't have to be concerned if she is not enjoying it.

Muslim Sharia or Christian fundamentalist? What's the difference? Adherents of both think women are property and MUST succumb to the man

What a bunch of loving people, right?

In Judaism, it's a Mitzvah to make sure your wife is fulfilled, not the other way around...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Sounds quite fundamental to me...there is no RAPE in MARRIAGE--but there is RAGE
Only if you don't do what she tells you....

Old 10-27-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The bible.
It doesn't come from the bible, it comes from uptight interpretations...

Old 10-27-2015, 09:38 PM

Oh, for ****'s sake...

Old 10-27-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
They could shorten those titles to: How To Be A Christian Pig.

I read a book a long time ago about how to be a better husband (a Christian book)...

Old 10-27-2015, 09:40 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Yes, this is an oft-overlooked fact and another example of evolution's indifference to human enjoyment.

The few really fond memories this writer has on this particular topic come from the time my then-wife was in her late 30s and early 40s. And it might have lasted longer but for her illness whereof she died catching up with her.
You have my full empathy, from the heart. There are some things we do not control.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
It amazes me that in today's world that there are people, and not just Christians, because Muslims and some ultra orthodox Jews, who truly believe their religion allows the subjugation of their spouse.

Okay, C3 (PO)...That is not Judaism...It is the man's obligation, or Mitzvah, to ensure his wife is 100% satisfied, his sexual needs are secondary...IOW, he should be grateful if she comes onto him and desires to satisfy him...

Old 10-27-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Why do you think this guy speaks for all Christians or that it is in any way typical of Christians? I've never heard of him until you posted this. I disagree with his statements.

I didn't read much of this wingnut's page, but did he advocate beating one's wife if she refused?
You knooowww!...

Old 10-27-2015, 10:02 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Sadly, the dominant perception of marriage involves a right to sexual gratification, but it should be about commitment to sharing life with a life partner. If it had been, there would not have been the furor over SSM, IMO. Our carnal appetites have nothing to do with love and our spiritual commitments to one another. It is just sad that they have been merged and confused for so long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Nothing?? I don't see any need to deride sexuality as carnal and irrelevant to an intimate relationship, any more than I see the need to elevate it above companionship / commitment / loyalty. Sexuality, messy as it is both figuratively and literally, is part of who we are and part of what informs our relationships. I don't know how to deny that and be real at the same time.
Nor does acknowledging sexuality necessitate some sort of right to be gratified at will without regard to the other person. It's never right to force yourself on anyone, including your spouse. But let's face it, it also implies mutual sexual surrender and exclusivity, at least to the vast majority of people ... and unless marriage partners have pretty explicit understandings to the contrary in advance, there's a reasonable expectation that they will in fact take care of each other's sexual needs, and give that some priority, though we can and should debate what's appropriate / sufficient there (hint: it's not the entitlement mentality discussed in the OP's link). And I see nothing wrong with that. Where people go wrong IMO is putting too much stake in it. But that doesn't mean it isn't important to people or can't be deeply meaningful. It's like any other aspect of a relationship; if both partners are committed to working on it, it can be worthwhile. If one or both are not, then you might as well let go of your sexual needs and desires if you want to stay in the relationship. And that's a tall order for most folks, unless they are of advanced age.
It is not about deriding sexuality but it IS purely carnal, mordant. We have the ability to bring a lot more to it, but it is not innate. In fact, the romantic mythology built-up around sexual attraction is probably the main reason for the divorce statistics. There is nothing in such attraction that is predictive of a good mate, yet it is relied on almost exclusively in selecting a mate. Romance is a fiction that is largely self-created by mystery and the unknown coupled with carnal desires and fantasies. It is short-lived and a poor substitute for developing an actual relationship. That is why long courtships produced superior and long-lived marriages.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:06 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
the mans waning desire for the woman that is losing her physical attractiveness.
as they look at their no-longer-hot partner that, even though they may still love them, isn't a sexual turn-on to them any more.
it does not get any more superficial than this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality