Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 05:49 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,935,402 times

Advertisements

What is it with these nutcase Christian leaders many of them pastors, who keep coming up with these incendiary comments?

This is not some 34 church member pastor that heads a Westboro Baptist church group, but Jerry Falwell Jr, who heads the largest Christian university in the United States. This is a mainstream evangelical Christian, and one whose words way too many people in the United States of America listen to.

We have had complaints here on this board from those who view the fundi lifestyle as sacrosanct, that I keep posting on these issues. As I've said before, it's such a target rich environment, with leaders again and again making these outrageous claims and taking these outrageous positions. They're no better than the fundamentalist Muslims who making similar statements, endorsing their radicals.

The sad part is, we're going to see a number of our board fundies jump aboard and defend Jerry Falwell Jr and his comments.

Jerry Falwell Jr. is wrong to encourage concealed weapons to "end those Muslims" - On Faith & Culture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 05:52 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,477,878 times
Did he happen to quote any bible verse(s) in support of his suggestion?

Old 12-06-2015, 06:04 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,603,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
What is it with these nutcase Christian leaders many of them pastors, who keep coming up with these incendiary comments?

This is not some 34 church member pastor that heads a Westboro Baptist church group, but Jerry Falwell Jr, who heads the largest Christian university in the United States. This is a mainstream evangelical Christian, and one whose words way too many people in the United States of America listen to.

We have had complaints here on this board from those who view the fundi lifestyle as sacrosanct, that I keep posting on these issues. As I've said before, it's such a target rich environment, with leaders again and again making these outrageous claims and taking these outrageous positions. They're no better than the fundamentalist Muslims who making similar statements, endorsing their radicals.

The sad part is, we're going to see a number of our board fundies jump aboard and defend Jerry Falwell Jr and his comments.

Jerry Falwell Jr. is wrong to encourage concealed weapons to "end those Muslims" - On Faith & Culture
well, it aint itialians that is for sure. But I get you ... ban guns and let bad people go.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:22 PM

15,881 posts, read 6,349,256 times
I fell asleep with the TV on a few months ago. I woke up in the middle of the night to watch same weirdo named VanImp busting on Islam talking about how hateful it was. He said they demanded the murder of apostates and how the bible would never say that. BS Mr.VanImp. The bible most certainly calls for violence.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:56 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,935,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
well, it aint itialians that is for sure. But I get you ... ban guns and let bad people go.
I own a number of guns, and have lobbied against some firearms legislation including appearing in front of both our House and Senate justice committees. So you can take that shot off the table.

The issue is is that Falwell is promoting violence. But then he is a religious leader and they seem to have a habit of doing that whether they are Christian or Muslim. You don't see many secular people promoting violence against the religious Group, do you?

Old 12-06-2015, 08:31 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,661,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I own a number of guns, and have lobbied against some firearms legislation including appearing in front of both our House and Senate justice committees. So you can take that shot off the table.

The issue is is that Falwell is promoting violence. But then he is a religious leader and they seem to have a habit of doing that whether they are Christian or Muslim. You don't see many secular people promoting violence against the religious Group, do you?
You seem to ignore human history...of what has been nearly categorical in all societies since modern man has walked the Earth.
When one group is attacked by another, or senses the other as a threat, or undesirable to exist...they try to take out the whole group. And this isn't just the Romans, Genghis Khan, or groups from years ago.
For example: How did the Nazis deal with who they opposed? The U.S. nuked entire major Japanese cities, wiping out everything and everbody in them ...and would have kept doing it till we blasted all of Japan off the map, if they did not completely submit and surrender.
This is how mankind has typically rolled...and the way man has exclusively rolled in the face of what they determine to be existential threats.
Nothing new here that I see. Many feel...from a tactical standpoint, letting some remain is only setting up the allowance of the same future problem.
Read "Sun Tzu: The Art of War. A "take no prisoners, just completely wipe out the enemy" approach is many times an approach that is determined to be the most effective to accomplish overall goals.
NOTE: Do not associate my notation of "Reality of How It Is, and Has Been"...with any personal feeling I have myself on the issue.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:16 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,900,395 times
Maybe Falwell noticed that none of the people killed in the recent attacks were armed. If they had been armed, maybe they could have fought back instead of being shot.

If the students at Liberty Univ start killing each other, he will probably change his policy. Let's see what happens.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:41 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,034,899 times
Is he even kidding...people were supposed to carry guns into a Christmas party???

ETA: I'm not saying I have the magic answer here...but I am trying to envision the bloodbath of five or ten people in addition to attackers all spraying gunfire inside one room...I doubt ANYBODY would have walked out of there.

I'm also wondering at the wisdom of encouraging people who work with special needs people hands-on packing heat within easy reach. SMH.

What is it about violence that gets some people so excited to have their own "excuse" for being violent? It seems like a sickness to me. I don't get a saddened and worried vibe here. I get more like "Let's all be Clint Eastwood, it's a party, we finally have a specific target that it would be okay to take out our homicidal natures on."

Just gives me a really sick feeling and makes me wonder just whom I should really be afraid of here.

Last edited by JerZ; 12-06-2015 at 10:52 PM..

Old 12-06-2015, 11:15 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,370,673 times
Seriously, no. What the actual...?

Neither Muslims should be attacking us, nor should we should attack Muslims.

You guys need to read the constitution. We do in fact have the right to carry guns. Crazy people probably should not be carrying them. But sure go ahead and disarm yourself if you want to be a sitting duck for whatever terrorist comes along. Because you can be damned sure they will obviously respect our gun control laws, right?

Americans should be armed so they can prevent rape and bullying from terrorists. Crazy fundies shouldn't.

Switzerland is a good model of the correct use of guns. They have them, but do not invade other countries. These are only to defend their borders.

Not "go kill me some Muslims". But maybe "good fences make good neighbors."

Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 12-06-2015 at 11:30 PM..

Old 12-06-2015, 11:19 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,438,558 times
Well it seemed to me he was talking about 'ending those muslims' who were actively in the process of murdering people.I'm not a huge fan of Falwell nor his brand of christianity but i'm all for people 'ending muslims,methodists,or martians' if they are in the middle of an act of mass murder.One cop in Texas with a handgun took out two assault rifle wielding muslims before they managed to kill anyone.Three Americans managed to take out a heavily armed muslim with their bare hands before he could kill anyone on a train in France several months back but generally if only the murderers have guns a lot of people are going to die until someone gets there with one to shoot back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality