Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2015, 10:20 AM

10,096 posts, read 5,759,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Me too. Proof would convince me. For example, God coming down to talk to all of us and show us literally what He can do, and being available for actual back-and-forth communication (not the old chestnuts like "God speaks to me with a baby's smile" or whatever).
Then the atheist would still say, but how do I know that's really God, and not an imposter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 10:21 AM

10,096 posts, read 5,759,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Be honest, you have nothing compelling enough to make people believe.
For hard hearted atheists, nope because no amount of evidence would ever satisfy them. Basically you NEED God to not exist.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:31 AM

18,518 posts, read 9,203,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
If physical proof is the only thing that will convince you then no, I don't have it. You are asking for something in the spirit realm to manifest at will in the physical and be repeatable on demand because only then by default, you will be forced to accept it. Not going to happen. The spirit realm and physical are two different planes of existence.

Now you can see the physical side effects of the Holy Spirit as seen in this film, but obviously, that's not good enough, but it's quite good enough for thousands of people who have an open heart to find God.
Jeff,

If you give me $1000, will will give you a brand new car. It will manifest itself in the spirit realm.

What you call the Holy Spirit, I call human emotions. There's no evidence for anything supernatural in that video.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:34 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,391,550 times
Quote:
For hard hearted atheists, nope because no amount of evidence would ever satisfy them. Basically you NEED God to not exist.
I am far from "hard hearted", Jeff. I am also not an atheist, as I have told you many times before.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:50 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,572,232 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
I am far from "hard hearted", Jeff. I am also not an atheist, as I have told you many times before.

Haters gonna hate.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:51 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,218,233 times
Quote:
Has evidence ever been presented? I have never seen it.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:52 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,660,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
All The Energy/Matter That Exists And Has Existed = God
Everything is Sourced by, and is the Essence of, God.
All living things are Sourced by God, are the Essence of God, and are God.
So, yes, the statement you made would be correct.
Thank you.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:53 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,673,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
My perception is not the only one that counts, of course not. But to have any sort of constructive conversation about "god" we have to settle on some sort of common frame work.

I can explain fairly succinctly what I mean by "god". When I say I do not believe in a god, I am referring to one in the general sense of,
the perfect and all-powerful spirit or being that is worshipped especially by Christians, Jews, and Muslims as the one who created and rules the universe

the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe

the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind

I find this to be in context a reasonable scope of definition, of meaning. It is certainly the most common and generally understood definition. If you would like I can try to defend why this particular conception of god is in the context of our discussions of Pantheism.

If you are using a different definition, if your title of "god" means or implies something different, then maybe before applying the title to something we should clarify what you mean.

The problem I see with your approach, is that you appear to want to define "god" as a title which merely means, "Something I personally think is really important", and then once we have established that such a thing does exist, proceed as if we have established the existence of a supreme being.

So the first thing to do is to be very clear and precise in your terminology. What, exactly do you mean by god? And perhaps, if you are using it in a different way than it is commonly used, signifying that in some way by choosing a different word or some specific phrase to denote your specific idea would help.

Of course, if you are intentionally trying to confuse people and conflate definitions to sneak in illogical conclusion by inference and semantic association, then feel free to disregard my helpful tips for increasing clarity. That of course would demonstrate dishonesty on your part, but as far as I can tell your semantic concept of god doesn't have any opinion on, well, anything, so maybe smarmy con man argumentation is not frowned upon by your version of a deity...

-NoCapo

p.s. I thought we had been over your idea of a non-deity god? Look up deity in your "expert definer", they are equivalent, and non-deity god is an impossibility, a semantic slight of hand. It would mean a non-god god, a god that, by its definition, isn't a god. Which is of course what you are peddling at its core, which is why i become more and more convinced that you no more believe in a god than I do...
I was referring to YOUR definition of God. You referred to a Being. As is typical of Religious Deities. That is why I capitalized the "D" in nonDeity...to refer to the "Being" qualifier you put forth as your exclusive, blinkerd, and close-minded definition that you won't see outside of.
There are deities that could be perceived as God that do, in fact, exist in reality. OTOH...no Deity that is a Being noted in Religions has ever been empirically proven.
You try to claim I define God as I do simply to force God into existence disingenuously.
The Real Deal: You are "projecting"...You restrict the definition of God so it is necessarily limited to entities you know don't exist. So you can disingenuously force your "No God" view.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:53 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,218,233 times
While Minchin is talking about other "spiritual" crap, this part of his Storm skit applies equally well here:

"Hm that's a good point, let me think for a bit
Oh wait, my mistake, it's absolute bull****.
Science adjusts it's beliefs based on what's observed
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved.
If you show me
That, say, homeopathy works,
Then I will change my mind
I'll spin on a ****ing dime
I'll be embarrassed as hell,
But I will run through the streets yelling
It's a miracle! Take physics and bin it!
Water has memory!
And while it's memory of a long lost drop of onion juice is Infinite
It somehow forgets all the poo it's had in it!"

Old 12-11-2015, 10:55 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,660,777 times
Quote:
If physical proof is the only thing that will convince you then no, I don't have it. You are asking for something in the spirit realm to manifest at will in the physical and be repeatable on demand because only then by default, you will be forced to accept it. Not going to happen. The spirit realm and physical are two different planes of existence.

Now you can see the physical side effects of the Holy Spirit as seen in this film, but obviously, that's not good enough, but it's quite good enough for thousands of people who have an open heart to find God.

Right. Same old circular logic. It's true because I believe it's true. You are correct; it's not good enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality