Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 08:17 AM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times

Advertisements

Most often called self hypnosis.....I believe it plays a large role in all religions, either intentionally or unintentionally. Simply put autosuggestion is a process where the person redraws their beliefs and associations through constant repetition of that which they want to believe until it is firmly implanted in the subconscious mind. The dominant thoughts that occupy a person's conscious mind, if present over a long period of time, train that person's subconscious mind to organize their beliefs according to those thoughts.

I have been searching for some explanation why some people believe the impossibilities contained in religious dogma, and would like your thoughts on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 10:38 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,358,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Most often called self hypnosis.....I believe it plays a large role in all religions, either intentionally or unintentionally. Simply put autosuggestion is a process where the person redraws their beliefs and associations through constant repetition of that which they want to believe until it is firmly implanted in the subconscious mind. The dominant thoughts that occupy a person's conscious mind, if present over a long period of time, train that person's subconscious mind to organize their beliefs according to those thoughts.

I have been searching for some explanation why some people believe the impossibilities contained in religious dogma, and would like your thoughts on this.
I think education has a great deal to do with a person’s ability to step pass the wall of religious brainwashing into an arena of free thought. If we look in regional areas of the world where education levels are low we find the strong fundamental religions which in many cases are less tolerant of other religions. We also see the greatest levels of violence.
We also see major pushes by established religions into these areas, hoping to shore up their dwindling coffers and memberships. Education is the cure to many problems in this world, but will also be the eventual death of organized religion.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:01 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,630,095 times
I think the reason that religious beliefs become established in someone is often rooted in their childhood and the influence of their parents and society. Many people come to believe that it's wrong to even question their faith even though it's irrational. If we could somehow skip a generation of this religious indoctrination I think that religion would largely disappear.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:10 AM

599 posts, read 1,261,273 times
Quote:

Ya know, if the idea that believers have somehow hypnotized themselves into believing what they do helps *you* to understand them better, more power to you .

Quote:
I have been searching for some explanation why some people believe the impossibilities contained in religious dogma, and would like your thoughts on this.[/
Well I can only speak for myself, and I would replace "religious dogma" in this quote with Christianity...it's all about the RELATIONSHIP that I have with Jesus Christ. Yes, believe it or not, I have a relationship with Him. His Spirit communes with my spirit and because of this, I know He lives.

Living my life for Christ works for me, if you want to put it in those terms. I love Him and I know He loves me. I'm filled with more joy than you as an unbeliever will ever be able to understand, so why would I want to change that by abandoning my faith?

You want to talk about hypnotizing oneself....that would be a true case of self hypnosis, trying to convince myself that there is no God and what I have experienced over the past 40 years has just been "all in my head".

You may want to believe that I have been engaging in self hypnosis for the all these years and that's your perogative...but you would be wrong .

Old 01-11-2009, 11:22 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,173,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I think the reason that religious beliefs become established in someone is often rooted in their childhood and the influence of their parents and society. Many people come to believe that it's wrong to even question their faith even though it's irrational. If we could somehow skip a generation of this religious indoctrination I think that religion would largely disappear.
I agree 100%
Religion starts from the childhood, everything you learn before age 13 will be permanently implanted in your brain, no doubts about it.
I posted a question a while back about Miracles that happened to people who were agnostics/atheists that made them turn to god. Guess what? No one has posted an answer. That tells me that people either lie, or just saying that they started to believe because it's more convenient, more "up to" society, or simply afraid to admit they're indeed agnostic or atheist.
That just shows that everyone here has been indoctrinated from the childhood, unless you give me a good story of a miracle that truly turned you to god, then i might change my opinion. Until then, no excuses.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:48 AM

23,020 posts, read 34,397,699 times
I agree Deb, I also have a relationship with the Living God. Unbelievers are always trying to come up with something they can understand about why we believe God and the Bible.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I agree Deb, I also have a relationship with the Living God. Unbelievers are always trying to come up with something they can understand about why we believe God and the Bible.
This is true...I do understand some of the aspects of why you believe, but when it comes to things like creation and Noah's ark and the exodus I am at a loss as to why these things are literally accepted, given the knowledge we have today. Can you explain why some accept these things as fact?

Old 01-11-2009, 01:26 PM

23,020 posts, read 34,397,699 times
Quote:
This is true...I do understand some of the aspects of why you believe, but when it comes to things like creation and Noah's ark and the exodus I am at a loss as to why these things are literally accepted, given the knowledge we have today. Can you explain why some accept these things as fact?
I guess it depends on if you believe the Bible is the trustworthy Word of God, and I do.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:34 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,049,604 times
Do you think that's why God said to think about His Word constantly ???

Old 01-11-2009, 01:47 PM

I find that autosuggestion can be a very useful tool in life, and have used it myself, but was unaware that it could be done unintentionally. I find that a bit frightening.

Autosuggestion is differentiated from brainwashing or hypnosis in that it is a self induced process only. An idea may be introduced by another, but autosuggestion is the processes wherein one's own mind redefines its beliefs itself. Autosuggestion is normally thought of as a deliberate tool, but it can also refer to an unintentional process.

NationMaster - Encyclopedia: Autohypnosis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality