Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 12:04 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

What I've learned today:

Do nice things for external rewards = holy and good.

Do nice things because it's the nice thing to do = suspect and probably just evil and sinful.

Got it.

Whew! I'm glad someone was here to straighten me out on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 12:07 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What I've learned today:

Do nice things because it's the nice thing to do = suspect and probably just evil and sinful.

Got it.

Exactly! See you in hell with all the other people who did good without putting a hand out expecting an eternal reward in exchange.

---

Person #1: "I did what you said I should do and you promised me a reward, where is it, uh, o holy one?"

God: "Right this way through these pearly gates."

Person #2: "I did good because I wanted to help people, wow, I really didn't think about a reward..."

God: "Go to hell!"

Old 05-05-2016, 12:58 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What I've learned today:

Got it.

Excellent summary, and a big reason why I view most religion as detrimental to society.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:07 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,674,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I'll take dog morality over atheist morality any day. Dogs don't judge or ask that you earn their respect first before they treat you nice.
Total fallacy. Dogs are an excellent judge of character. Cats too. There are people who dogs do not like upon meeting for the first time. Dogs see something bad/evil in a person when we humans do not. A smart human will pay attention to the dogs behavior and stay clear of said person.

On the flip side, a dog will be aggressive or fearful of all humans if they have experienced abuse. A kind human must earn trust and respect.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:37 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
You won't waste your time because it would be in vain. I am right.

The religious do things because they think it will help them get to where they want to go, hence, it is a selfish, self serving thing. Non believers do no such thing.
Nope, I've already addressed it before which you apparently ignored. Try reading the Bible. You know there are other books besides Genesis, right?

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast." Ephesians 2:9

All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away. Isaiah 64:6

We don't earn our way to heaven through works. Compared to the pure righteousness of God, your best efforts are filthy rags to Him. I don't do things for God because I think it will get me reward points, I do it because the changed heart in me desires to love and help people. A sin nature desires to hurt people back when they hurt you. Your sin nature is why you feel the need to run me down.

Quote:

It isn't an insult if it is true, Jeffery. You are a dishonest poster, and you are a hypocrite. You prove it in every post you make. As far as dumb, I said,
A meaningless label if you can't back it up. And if you can't then guess what, that means you are the one being dishonest as well as being hypocritical for judging me. I strive to be as honest as possible in my opinions here.

Quote:

"There will always be people, religious or not, who do things for selfish reasons, but to say ALL atheists or non believers do so, just proves you lack a room temp IQ. You surely aren't saying that, right?"

I asked a question. Are you saying ALL atheists are incapable of doing good without a self serving reason? If so, then you are indeed, an idiot. If not, then great! We are in agreement!
And yet you offer no further explanation why such a belief would make me an idiot. Hence, it is a slap in the face insult.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:51 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
So Jeff you do believe that atheists can do no good for other than selfish reasons or more clearly stated is can we do good without being selfish? If you believe that to be true do you have any peer reviewed studies to back your claim? If not is it a proven claim or simply your opinion? If it is only your opinion why should you not be able to be personally held to count for this opinion?

Thank you

Old 05-05-2016, 02:33 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,523 times
Quote:
Nope, I've already addressed it before which you apparently ignored. Try reading the Bible. You know there are other books besides Genesis, right?

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast." Ephesians 2:9

All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away. Isaiah 64:6

I am aware of the other books, yes. I am also aware that there are many people who disagree with you, which makes your opinion as relevant as theirs. I know you think it is more so, but it isn't. Neither is mine, or anyone else's. Point being, if you believe faith is the ONLY thing you need, and you aren't doing so to be "saved", then you are proving that people can do things without reward, yes?.....

Quote:
We don't earn our way to heaven through works. Compared to the pure righteousness of God, your best efforts are filthy rags to Him. I don't do things for God because I think it will get me reward points, I do it because the changed heart in me desires to love and help people. A sin nature desires to hurt people back when they hurt you. Your sin nature is why you feel the need to run me down.
Oh ok, I see.... Only Christians are capable of doing things for unselfish reasons..... Sure, okay buddy. So just to be clear.... If you, or any other Christian that agrees with you, does something good, it is because you are righteous, and do so out of the goodness of your heart. We do the exact same thing, for no reward, and we are doing it for purely selfish reasons?

That is a flat out lie and ignorant statement, but you are free to make it. You are also REALLY REALLY helping out the non believers. Showing lurkers and people who are questioning exactly what religion does to a person. Keep it up!

Quote:
A meaningless label if you can't back it up. And if you can't then guess what, that means you are the one being dishonest as well as being hypocritical for judging me. I strive to be as honest as possible in my opinions here.
All one has to do is read your posts. No "backing it up" necessary. I am not hypocrite, as I am judging you based off of things you say. When you say things that are dishonest and hypocritical, then you are dishonest and hypocritical. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
And yet you offer no further explanation why such a belief would make me an idiot. Hence, it is a slap in the face insult.
It would make you an idiot because it is obviously false. If you think I stepped in front of a gun to help that woman and her kids for selfish reasons, then I have a bridge to sell you. If you believe that, then I stick by my statement of you having less than a room temp IQ. If not, then fantastic! I am not saying you are an idiot!

Old 05-06-2016, 12:57 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,376,031 times
Quote:
I strive to be as honest as possible in my opinions here.
Ehhhh no you don't. I have seen you on multiple threads being corrected on out right errors for example. Then you simply go to the next thread espousing the same errors as if true. I have seen you misrepresent atheists, lie about what they say, ignore the posts you can not answer, never admit to error, and outright lie about statistics.

Old 05-06-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
I am aware of the other books, yes. I am also aware that there are many people who disagree with you, which makes your opinion as relevant as theirs. I know you think it is more so, but it isn't. Neither is mine, or anyone else's. Point being, if you believe faith is the ONLY thing you need, and you aren't doing so to be "saved", then you are proving that people can do things without reward, yes?.....
My opinion is just that, my opinion. Take it or leave it. I do firmly believe that my opinion is aligned with the teachings of God's Word which millions of people believe and live by. If I am wrong then I welcome any Christian brother or sister to correct me.

Quote:

Oh ok, I see.... Only Christians are capable of doing things for unselfish reasons..... Sure, okay buddy. So just to be clear.... If you, or any other Christian that agrees with you, does something good, it is because you are righteous, and do so out of the goodness of your heart. We do the exact same thing, for no reward, and we are doing it for purely selfish reasons?

If we are to believe in atheism then yes that's true. See in your world, everything must have an origin.
You don't just do good things because it's the right thing to do. If that's the case, why are there tribes of cannibals? How come they don't just know that it's wrong to eat people? If everything must have an origin then there is a driving mechanism for your acts of good deeds. That driving mechanism would be an emotional response and weighing risk vs reward. In that sense, yes it is selfish.

While I think most of this article is pure atheist bunk, I found this quote interesting:

Quote:

Another aim of enlightened self-interest is to seek beauty in all its forms, to preserve and prolong its resonance between the world outside and that within. Beauty and love are but different facets of the same jewel: love is beautiful, and we love beauty.

Ethics Without Religion | American Atheists

THat's another example of sinful man's self serving morality. You can't deny that attractive people in society are treated vastly much better than non-attractive people. And when something tragic happens to a beautiful person, people give them a lot of attention and empathy. A non-attractive person rarely even makes the news even if it is the same tragedy. As a Christian, we are called to love the unlovely. Jesus certainly showed that example when he hung out with the low lives of society and even embraced a leper!
Like my example of the burned face man, he isn't loved. He is rejected by society.

Quote:

That is a flat out lie and ignorant statement, but you are free to make it. You are also REALLY REALLY helping out the non believers. Showing lurkers and people who are questioning exactly what religion does to a person. Keep it up!
Ahh this old card again. I can play the same card and say that the mean spirited, insulting, and condescending attitude of atheists here shows the lurkers what kind of person you become when you reject God. You and your buddies gang up and bully any Christian who dares to have an opposing position.

Quote:

All one has to do is read your posts. No "backing it up" necessary. I am not hypocrite, as I am judging you based off of things you say. When you say things that are dishonest and hypocritical, then you are dishonest and hypocritical. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ok so you can't back it up then.

Quote:

It would make you an idiot because it is obviously false. If you think I stepped in front of a gun to help that woman and her kids for selfish reasons, then I have a bridge to sell you. If you believe that, then I stick by my statement of you having less than a room temp IQ. If not, then fantastic! I am not saying you are an idiot!

That sounds more like an instinctive reaction to me. It's called fight or flight. So people rush into danger to help while others feel the need to run away. No one really takes the time to contemplate their action in such a situation.

Old 05-06-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
So Jeff you do believe that atheists can do no good for other than selfish reasons or more clearly stated is can we do good without being selfish? If you believe that to be true do you have any peer reviewed studies to back your claim? If not is it a proven claim or simply your opinion? If it is only your opinion why should you not be able to be personally held to count for this opinion?

Thank you
Let's see, what number is that in the atheist guidebook to always winning the argument? #33?

33. - if all else fails, just demand evidence, but ONLY evidence from a peer reviewed study. In the rare event that they have such a study, find some way to discredit the source. Works every time!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality