Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 07:50 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,730,724 times

Advertisements

It's pretty revealing that in all my internet travels and despite the individuality of every human being, I encounter common negative language from atheists. They don't just simply not believe in God. They go on the assault, mainly online where there are no consequences. They don't just politely offer counter arguments. Their replies are seasoned with similar rherotic. God is a sky fairy. The Bible is a book of fairy tales. Talking snakes are magical. I hear that a lot, and you know, when I dig past that rhetoric and break it down to the bare bone, I see that even atheists don't truly believe in evolution.

Now the Bible does record an account of a talking snake. We know that snakes don't talk. It's a fantastical notion. It's magic. Fantasy. Fiction, right? But if you believe in evolution 100% all the way, how can you really make this claim? Specifically, I'm talking about the belief that human beings are nothing more than just another species of animal descended from a primate ancestor. Yet we are the ONLY species that talk. We make speech, language, not sounds. Not grunts. Language is essential to our existence. Yet for some reason, there has never been another evolutionary line that has produced other animals with all the mechanisms for human speech like vocal cords, lips, tongue, palette...Even chimps at best can only communicate with sign language. If I bring this point up to the atheists, they scramble to find examples of animals that have used speech or language in some crude primitive form. They will point out how animals like parrots can talk like us. (which completely ignores the fact that parrots have much smaller brains than humans) .

Well ok, if you are going to take the stance that other animals can certainly develop the ability to talk like humans then why is the notion of a talking snake or donkey thousands of years ago seen as magical? Honestly, the notion of ANY animal species having a human conversation with us seems fantastical. Why? Because we are NOT animals. When you tell me that it is magical and therefore impossible, you are showing a believe that humans are uniquely designed and humans and ONLY humans will ever be about to talk like we do. Disagree? Then you have to admit that the notion that animals could have talked at one time is in the realm of possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 08:08 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,602,505 times
What language did snakes speak Jeff and who or what taught them?

Old 07-25-2016, 08:15 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,730,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
What language did snakes speak Jeff and who or what taught them?
Who taught the first humans how to speak in language?

Old 07-25-2016, 08:15 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post

Now the Bible does record an account of a talking snake. We know that snakes don't talk. It's a fantastical notion. It's magic. Fantasy. Fiction, right? But if you believe in evolution 100% all the way, how can you really make this claim?
Because evolution has no connection to human "beliefs."

Nature works the way it works and isn't interested in uninformed opinions.

You, of course, can continue to deny the reality of nature's mechanisms. It won't change a thing outside your head.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:18 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,333,832 times
Quote:
...we are the ONLY species that talk...
There are countless examples of species having qualities/properties unique to them. Bats are the only mammal, for instance, that can be said to truly fly. I'm not sure what your point is. Language, as humans use it, may well be particular to humans, but communication amongst other animals is well known and well documented, from bees to lower primates to whales, dolphins, etc.

But let me ask you a question (please.) I've asked it before in a number of ways and have never received a response from you.

Do you think evolution is a plot of some kind--a conspiracy on the part of scientists to dupe an unsuspecting public for some reason,

OR

Do you think scientists are just incompetent and don't know what they are doing?

Old 07-25-2016, 08:21 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,588,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
You, of course, can continue to deny the reality of nature's mechanisms.
Evolutionary theorists do not possess knowledge of nature's mechanisms.
They do not possess epistomologically sound opinions, either.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:24 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,091 times
Another of his posts that shows not how wrong those who accept evolution are but how little Jeff understands how evolution actually works. Talking snakes or donkeys would not be in line with evolutionary theory unless of course they are started to talk but just one, no.

More shots at atheists from someone who claims we are all the same and each and every one of us is responsible for everything that any other atheists or a person that Jeff does not like has said or done. Also dismissing the tens or hundreds of millions of Christians who do not share his disgust of ToE . The only rationale I can see for this thread is to seek negative responses so that he can claim that he is being persecuted and that we are all anti Christian.

I have never called his religion a lie (he calls evolution a lie) or his god a sky daddy or fairy but he does not mind calling scientists liars and all of us mean with worthless lives nor does he restrain from calling other Christians atheists if they do not share all of his belief in a literal Bible.

Jeff, post something that shows your ignorance about what you are posting and then claim that you were insulted by others mocking you for displaying your lack of knowledge on that subject. Read a book on how evolution works and does not work and perhaps your arguments against it would sound more reasonable. This one was mostly silly. Shame on you for not making the effort to sound credible and these types of posts do not reflect well on your anti evolution pro literal Bible worldview. Perhaps you do not want to be taken seriously, perhaps your goal is to sound silly so that you can play the victim.

A single talking donkey without the development of the portion of the brain for speech nor the correct vocal chords or any reason for talking being an evolutionary advantage is not part of the Toe.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:25 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,602,505 times
Quote:
Who taught the first humans how to speak in language?
Did the first humans and snake talk to each other Jeff?

Old 07-25-2016, 08:28 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Evolutionary theorists do not possess knowledge of nature's mechanisms.
That's a very amusing wrong opinion.

Quote:
They do not possess epistomologically sound opinions, either.
Opinions don't count in nature.

But thanks for sharing.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:36 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
It's a nice point and Human abilities is at Our end of the evolutionary argument are as neat a gap for God as "Who made everything, then?" is at the further end. With Abiogenesis somewhere in the middle.

While it is true that animals do problem solve, co -operate and communicate in various ways, none can communicate, reason and develop society as humans do. On the other hand, Our communication, reasoning and social abilities do appear in animals in a rudimentary way. Bees can communicate information in a way our best dancers could not. Birds congregate and decide to set off on Migration in a social consensus resolution that politicians could only long to motivate in us. Fish, for heavens sake, can navigate back and forth across oceans with an accuracy that had to wait to the 19th c before we could match it.

We could not match the Bat or the Dolphin until we invented radar, nor fly until 1910 or so. And we still cannot change colour or freeze to death and resurrect when it warms up, like the Wetha and Tree frog.

We developed mental abilities that helped us to survive. It was remarkably successful, but that does not set us apart from animals as some sort of demi -angels or special creation. We are animals, and specifically a primate and Ape. Allow me to groom you.

In fact, our evolved special abilities do not prove the Bible..is what I am getting at. And the impossibility or at least monumental improbability of a talking (and legged (1) snake or a donkey with a line of witty repartee seems to make the Bible much to be doubted.

So, in view of this old book of absurd tales being foisted on us by people like you, and often in very coercive ways, Jeff, I think that, if mockery and derisory epithets is all you will have to contend with over the next decade or two, well...you can put that down to atheists actually having a better moral sense than the religious.

(1) unless as Eusebius seemed on the edge of suggesting once, it had caterpillar tracks.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-25-2016 at 10:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality