Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 04:20 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,959,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I don't quite understand. I plainly listed a link the the American Red Cross. They aren't Christian. They do work here.. and abroad. So if I give money to them.. I'm ultimately helping here and abroad.
That's what I'm asking!! Your the winner!! I really was wondering, I was not baiting people. Do people of other faiths and Atheists feel the need to donate time or money to organizations.

Like one poster said these organizations were not run by Christians, so I was wondering if the Atheists and other people of faith on here donate time or money. I wonder what the percentage of people donate their time and money without thinking Religion first.

Thanks for your reply.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I guess I see good and bad. I've worked with Habitat for Humanity before and although they're Christian, what they do is purely to help people. You don't have to be Christian to get a house and you're not preached at.

I see bad in Christianity on a few levels, such as feeling like most Christians are against me because I'm gay (not all, but a lot), I feel that although it's great the Catholic church feeds people and has missionaries in central/South America, it's very much the church's fault that there's so much poverty down there with their strict anti-birth control teachings. I also feel my parent's church has them star-struck, brainwashed, and probably has them tithing more than 10% of their income, based on insider reports.

So I see both good and bad.
There is bad in all organzations. There is more to the Christian world then the Catholics. No offense, but I'm really suprised at how much of a spokeperson the Catholic faith is for ALL Christians.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Nobody even stated that is was all about religion. You're pulling stuff out of the air. There are many helping hands that are not Christian. I don't know why you keep assuming things with no reason to.
You need to go back and re read your post and you might want to re read mine. All of yours are about it being religious to help others. And something about I tried to make you sound like you support Christians converting people, now why would I think that?? This has NOTHING to do with converting people.
I will ask again have you ever just went to one of these places and volunteered your time or sent money if you had it to support the poor or disabled.
I understand not every one can. So I'm not sure what you are trying to get across!!

Did I touch a soft spot, you really seem to be on the defense.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:34 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,180,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
You need to go back and re read your post and you might want to re read mine. All of yours are about it being religious to help others. And something about I tried to make you sound like you support Christians converting people, now why would I think that?? This has NOTHING to do with converting people.
I will ask again have you ever just went to one of these places and volunteered your time or sent money if you had it to support the poor or disabled.
I understand not every one can. So I'm not sure what you are trying to get across!!

Did I touch a soft spot, you really seem to be on the defense.
I mentioned in one of my posts that I have donated money before. Like b.frank said, you only hear what you want to. And nobody is getting defensive. You're assuming again with no reason to.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:40 PM

48,209 posts, read 22,037,561 times
I support the Unitarian Universalist Service Committee. The UUSC provides assistance to people around the world...in a manner that doesnt seek to convert or change them other than to empower them and assist them in ways that are meaningful and consistent with their culture. The UUSC is active in India, Africa, South America and Eastern Europe, the Middle East and the United States.

IMHO it is exploitive and unchristian, in my understanding of the term, to travel around the world looking for desperate people who will accept your aid and your religion because their situation doesnt allow them a choice. The history of missionary work with a few notable exceptions (schwietzer) is a sordid story of persecution, introduction of disease and enslavement, enviornmental degredation and cultural genocide.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:49 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,725,646 times
Hey guys, this is a timely topic. Major new study shows that conservatives really are compassionate-far more compassionate than their liberal foes. Arthur Brooks, a top scholar of economics and public policy, has spent years researching this trend, and even he was surprised by what he found and has written about it in his new book, Who Really Cares. Of course I wont' post the Amazon link here since the mods will delete it, but do a search for it and you'll find it.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:55 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,180,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Hey guys, this is a timely topic. Major new study shows that conservatives really are compassionate-far more compassionate than their liberal foes. Arthur Brooks, a top scholar of economics and public policy, has spent years researching this trend, and even he was surprised by what he found and has written about it in his new book, Who Really Cares. Of course I wont' post the Amazon link here since the mods will delete it, but do a search for it and you'll find it.
Atheist doesn't automatically equal liberal.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:57 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,330,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Just a question for ALL non-Christians. Seems to me the more I listen and read on forums, not only this one, but others there seems to be Christian bashing, when in reality Christians do, do a lot of good in the WORLD.

Although, Christians don't have it all wrapped up Christians do seem to be the "HELPERS" of the world. As far as trying to bring attention to World Hunger, Home for Humanities, Aids, sending missionaries not only to spread the word, but they bring knowledge of medicine, food, teach people to read and write. There known for opening schools in other countries, helping a small village work with each other to learn what they can accomplish together.

Christians help with food kitchens, homeless shelters, safety housing etc. You get the idea. I'm just wondering, do just as many non-Christians feel the need to step up and help the less fortunate, here in the U.S. or go to another country and aid the people. Maybe, you go to these places also, would like to hear your story.
If i save a drowning child and then murder another does it fix anything? I can't speak for everyone but most of the complaints i have aren't at all christians, more the religion itself and the cases and ideals that tickle the fringes of reason.

But non-religious people do many of the same things. Christianity just has more organization. besides, not al christians do these things, a fairly small portion do these things. If the us population is 86% christian then i don't see 270 million american christians going to africa to help with aids cases.

I will admit that christianity has done a certain amount of good, i can't deny that. but it has done its share of no good also. Christians are supposed to be the people you talk about, but there are far too many that just abuse it and press agendas that are no good for anyone. which is mostly the thing that irritates me. Christians are supposed to live up to some better moral standard but often times simply do not and infact cause harm to others.

that's the christians i bash

Old 02-21-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Atheist doesn't automatically equal liberal.
That's true. I guess I should've used the word "Skeptics".

Old 02-21-2008, 05:09 PM

Greaet, all this and not one person has provided any sort of statistics to back their claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.