Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 03:22 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,672,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The universe exists.
Yes it does.

Quote:
That proves that He exists.
No it doesn't.

Quote:
The fact that there are such things as moral absolutes proves that there had to be someone to give them.
No it doesn't prove any such thing.

Quote:
boom. There's 2 arguments.
No, those are simply 2 unfounded assertions.

Quote:
Then explain how a concept of morality can be produced by chemical reactions in nature. Read...set...go:
I saw nobody asserting that moral concepts are produced by chemical reactions.

Quote:
What does "by necessity" mean?
I'd try a reference book if I didn't know that.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:30 PM

63,814 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
We've been over this a thousand times, Arq. You can NOT claim the default for your position. There is no basis for it. THAT is the problem - assuming the default as if that is superior when there is only ignorance.
The issue is pretending that the default position is "no God" in the face of complete ignorance about the source of our reality. There is no more reason for it to be the default than the theist one. NEITHER position is the default, but the simple fact of the existence of everything, its scope, power, ubiquity, etc. bespeaks of SOMETHING very God-like as the source.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
"The issue is pretending that the default position is "no Bigfoot" in the face of complete ignorance about the source of our reality."
"The issue is pretending that the default position is "no Aliens" in the face of complete ignorance about the source of our reality."
"The issue is pretending that the default position is "no Flying Spaghetti Monster" in the face of complete ignorance about the source of our reality."
Yes, it really does sound that stupid, Mystic. Fact is, most peoples default position is to not believe in something unless there is proof showing them otherwise. For you, you have your story and simply make things fit. This is truly ignorance.
I am always amazed at the lack of sound reasoning displayed by those whose worldview depends so much on it. Bigfoot, aliens, and FSM do not remotely encompass the characteristics of the source of our entire reality, the source of our existence and that of all life, the source of the components of the universe (or any multi's involved), the source of the physical and chemical laws that govern our reality instead of chaos, the source of consciousness, the source of the evolutionary processes, etc., etc. As forms of life, Bigfoot and aliens, are automatically excluded as the source. The FSM, being BOTH ludicrous and imaginary is also excluded. The appellation "God" has historically been used to describe the Source of everything that exists BEFORE the scientific revolution and enlightenment preferred more secular appellations. The ignorance about the Source provides NO BASIS for their preference over the more encompassing appellation - God. The very existence of consciousness, will, and intelligence within our reality belies any outright rejection of such characteristics as may be incorporated into various conceptions of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 10:34 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Yes it does.

No it doesn't.

No it doesn't prove any such thing.

No, those are simply 2 unfounded assertions.

I saw nobody asserting that moral concepts are produced by chemical reactions.

I'd try a reference book if I didn't know that.
He'll pretend to ignore you like he pretends to ignore me.

He's good at pretending.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:52 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
.... Bigfoot and aliens, are automatically excluded as the source.
Only because you don't believe in their existence.

Quote:
The FSM, being BOTH ludicrous and imaginary is also excluded.
Most people feel the same about your ludicrous and imaginary deity.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:32 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,127 times
Oh look - he resorted to the composition fallacy again. And around the round about we go again. And it is - of course - everyone else but him that is engaging in the - how did he put it - "lack of sound reasoning". Perhaps using a mirror instead of a monitor will do that to someone.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:17 AM

Quote:
I am always amazed at the lack of sound reasoning displayed by those whose worldview depends so much on it. Bigfoot, aliens, and FSM do not remotely encompass the characteristics of the source of our entire reality, the source of our existence and that of all life, the source of the components of the universe (or any multi's involved), the source of the physical and chemical laws that govern our reality instead of chaos, the source of consciousness, the source of the evolutionary processes, etc., etc. As forms of life, Bigfoot and aliens, are automatically excluded as the source. The FSM, being BOTH ludicrous and imaginary is also excluded. The appellation "God" has historically been used to describe the Source of everything that exists BEFORE the scientific revolution and enlightenment preferred more secular appellations. The ignorance about the Source provides NO BASIS for their preference over the more encompassing appellation - God. The very existence of consciousness, will, and intelligence within our reality belies any outright rejection of such characteristics as may be incorporated into various conceptions of God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Only because you don't believe in their existence.
No, whether or not they exist is irrelevant because whether or not they exist they are part of what was created eliminating their ability to be the source.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Oh look - he resorted to the composition fallacy again. And around the round about we go again. And it is - of course - everyone else but him that is engaging in the - how did he put it - "lack of sound reasoning". Perhaps using a mirror instead of a monitor will do that to someone.
Composition fallacy is a BS refusal to address the origin issue objectively regarding the fundamental composition of consciousness as a completely unique aspect of reality. Small minds sailing on materialistic seas seem to flounder on the reef of such abstract conundrums.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:13 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Mystic, old son, I almost reported you here, but out of consideration for you, didn't. You are hi -jacking the thread. This is about Lee Strobel and his claims about atheism, not about your personal theistic hypotheses, your muddled logic or your scorn for anyone who disagrees with you.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:53 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,040 times
Quote:
Composition fallacy is a BS refusal to address the origin issue objectively
You're the one rejecting the FSM as the source of everything, not us.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:43 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,019 times
Quote:
It wasn't meant to show that they are the creators, it was meant to show how ridiculously stupid your argument is. I think it served it's purpose.... You say the default position is belief, but only when it comes to God. I was pointing out that this is childish, at best. Is your default position belief when it comes to things like Bigfooot? Nessie? Aliens? Giant Space Crabs? Or only when it comes to your already established religious beliefs????

Point is, whether you can be bothered to see it or not, is that your religious ideas hold no water. You can say, "God is everything" all you want, but you have no more proof for your assertion than we do. No, you just have a need, like other religious folk, to feel special.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Mystic, old son, I almost reported you here, but out of consideration for you, didn't. You are hi -jacking the thread. This is about Lee Strobel and his claims about atheism, not about your personal theistic hypotheses, your muddled logic or your scorn for anyone who disagrees with you.
Once you acknowledge that Strobel never was an atheist and simply used that ploy to reinforce his position, there is little else to say. In any case, I was responding to the same old insupportable nonsense of an atheist default. I admit that neither default is supportable, but the theist one at least addresses the undeniably God-like characteristics of our reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality