Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 02:49 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,173,054 times

Advertisements

First I'd like to say this presentation of Atheism very well reflects my mindset on my atheism.

In this video, the question of what constitutes the reasoning of ones religion is: would you accept another religions claims if they presented the exact same amount of evidence as yours? I found this to be an interesting point.

This question goes for all the major religions. what viable evidence do you have that another religion does not? If someone else had and ancient book and that someone claimed personal experiences with that god, would you believe them and accept their religion as real?

https://youtu.be/iDyZVdz9JSI

Old 01-16-2017, 03:30 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,071,729 times
"You just don't want to believe" is right. All these monotheistic religions are so emotional and not self-critical, and atheists are just atheists about one more god then monotheists.

It's a cultural and family issue. Peer pressure is definitely used by religion, as well as existential dilemmas if anyone happens to have them and no one wants to trigger them in others.

No one wants to think that their family or friends are vastly mislead to a detrimental point in terms of Heavenly Politics. One of the reasons that polytheism fell was because they could not put their stuff in solid writing and because they simply could not incorporate a religion specifically of hate against them as a belief. Sure there were liberal pagans and liberal Christians, but paganism does not say much especially not "do not worship Christ, and not let them do it either" while Christianity does say a lot of stuff such as "do not worship pagan gods and don't let them do it either."

Old 01-16-2017, 04:09 PM

22,236 posts, read 19,245,773 times
You miss the point. Entirely. The purpose of religion is to be in active relationship with the Divine and nourish our soul, and improve ourselves through refining our character.

Here's an analogy. Let's say green vegetables are good for our health. Yet you ask people to prove why broccoli is better than chard. That is not the purpose.

Lets say a parent wants their child to love reading. It doesn't matter whether it is mysteries, science fiction, or historical biographies. The point is love reading not provide evidence which book is best.

My observation is you do not understand the purpose of religion therefore your approach is flawed from the get go.

The right religion for a person is the one that nourishes their soul, inspires them to improve their character traits, and ignites their heart with love for the Divine and all of Creation.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:13 PM

63,844 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
You miss the point. Entirely. The purpose of religion is to be in active relationship with the Divine and nourish our soul, and improve ourselves through refining our character.
Here's an analogy. Let's say green vegetables are good for our health. Yet you ask people to prove why broccoli is better than chard. That is not the purpose.
Lets say a parent wants their child to love reading. It doesn't matter whether it is mysteries, science fiction, or historical biographies. The point is love reading not which book is best.
My observation is you do not understand the purpose of religion therefore your approach is flawed from the get go.
Interesting and cogent insight.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:35 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,054,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
First I'd like to say this presentation of Atheism very well reflects my mindset on my atheism.

In this video, the question of what constitutes the reasoning of ones religion is: would you accept another religions claims if they presented the exact same amount of evidence as yours? I found this to be an interesting point.

This question goes for all the major religions. what viable evidence do you have that another religion does not? If someone else had and ancient book and that someone claimed personal experiences with that god, would you believe them and accept their religion as real?

https://youtu.be/iDyZVdz9JSI
there is only one religion

Old 01-16-2017, 04:53 PM

19,056 posts, read 27,627,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
there is only one religion
Correct. As there is only one creation. Only one reality. Only one NOW. And then you can argue 137 times 137 world religions but it simply does not defy a simple fact:

there is only one creation. Only one reality. Only one NOW.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:57 PM

19,056 posts, read 27,627,799 times
Quote:
Tzaph, you should know better. You realize there is no One to be in relationship with the divine, right? As this is ego speaking......
The very moment you say that, you discriminate. The very moment you discriminate, you fall short of being IN divine.
As being IN divine is the true religion. Not in relationship, as relationship presume those who relay, and there are none. Those who relay are head, desire, ego products.
Those who are IN, are heart, feeling product.
I know you know that.

Last edited by mensaguy; 01-16-2017 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: fixed quote tag

Old 01-16-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Quote:
Tzaph, you should know better. You realize there is no One to be in relationship with the divine, right? As this is ego speaking......
The very moment you say that, you discriminate. The very moment you discriminate, you fall short of being IN divine.
As being IN divine is the true religion. Not in relationship, as relationship presume those who relay, and there are none. Those who relay are head, desire, ego products.
Those who are IN, are heart, feeling product.
I know you know that.

Yes. That is true. Language is a very limited tool to try to express and describe that which is infinite and unlimited.

The Divine is the lover the beloved and the love. We are the vessel the Divine flows through.

So to start with I approach it like a relationship because i need a framework that I can grasp. The reality however and the goal is to dissolve myself into the Divine.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:06 PM

504 posts, read 300,369 times
Quote:

Lets say a parent wants their child to love reading. It doesn't matter whether it is mysteries, science fiction, or historical biographies. The point is love reading not provide evidence which book is best.

The right religion for a person is the one that nourishes their soul, inspires them to improve their character traits, and ignites their heart with love for the Divine and all of Creation.

You presume YOUR definition of religion is the correct one, and that is your first mistake. Not every religion has "the Divine", and as well not every religion has any "Divine". To think otherwise, and to profess otherwise, is either arrogant or ignorant.

Your religion may think there is a "Divine". That doesn't make it right, nor does it make your premise right. No one argues Buddhism is a religion, yet they have no "Divine". Hindu's have numerous "Divines". Shinto is animism essentially. As is Jainism. Scientology has no "Divine"; their premise is completely different.

Re-calibrate your perspective understanding that what you believe doesn't make it true for anyone else.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillionmt View Post
Re-calibrate your perspective understanding that what you believe doesn't make it true for anyone else.
So then dillo tell us about your experience with the Divine your path to self improvement how you nourish your soul and how you honor the still small voice within. Join the party

We've established there is ONE reality. How do you experience your own personal drop in the ocean that is us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality