Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 12:04 PM

1,333 posts, read 884,484 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

This is a question directed towards monotheistic religions. More Christianity and Islam than anything else.
If we agree to attribute all creation to God; then I must accept that God either created me directly or indirectly.

I know myself pretty well. I've gone to church for a large part of my life and honestly tried to believe there was a God for quite some time.
I am incapable of believing in something that I can't observe or make logical sense out of. I simply can not do it.

If God created me incapable of believing in him and plans to punish me with an eternity of pain and suffering for it; why would I want to believe in this God if I could?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 12:12 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,040,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
Hello All,

This is a question directed towards monotheistic religions. More Christianity and Islam than anything else.
If we agree to attribute all creation to God; then I must accept that God either created me directly or indirectly.

I know myself pretty well. I've gone to church for a large part of my life and honestly tried to believe there was a God for quite some time.
I am incapable of believing in something that I can't observe or make logical sense out of. I simply can not do it.

If God created me incapable of believing in him and plans to punish me with an eternity of pain and suffering for it; why would I want to believe in this God if I could?
I would have to ask.....Does your desire to believe change whether or not it's true?

Old 06-28-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I would have to ask.....Does your desire to believe change whether or not it's true?
If it were true, my desire would not affect it. But my desire certainly would affect whether or not I would worship such a God.

If we step back and imagine me from an observer's perspective. We suppose that observer knows for certain there's a God. What that observer will witness is God create a man who is incapable of saving himself and watch that man suffer eternal torture and misery. "Me" in this example would simply be a victim of the "spirit" God gave me and I would be incapable of saving myself from what God knows is coming.

Isn't this malicious? If not, why not?

Old 06-28-2017, 12:23 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,933,489 times
Quote:

You shouldn't.

If I believed God were like that I would inquire the way to Hell.

Fortunately He's not.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
You shouldn't.

If I believed God were like that I would inquire the way to Hell.

Fortunately He's not.
Do I have a misunderstanding of how God is?
Or could you point out where I'm wrong?

Old 06-28-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
If it were true, my desire would not affect it. But my desire certainly would affect whether or not I would worship such a God.
That's why faith is a gift from God. The unbeliever is dead in his sins and cannot believe.
Quote:

If we step back and imagine me from an observer's perspective. We suppose that observer knows for certain there's a God. What that observer will witness is God create a man who is incapable of saving himself and watch that man suffer eternal torture and misery. "Me" in this example would simply be a victim of the "spirit" God gave me and I would be incapable of saving myself from what God knows is coming.

Isn't this malicious? If not, why not?
God doesn't ordain you as a sinner incapable of belief. That's what happens as a result of sin. So, no--it's not malicious.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
That's why faith is a gift from God. The unbeliever is dead in his sins and cannot believe.

God doesn't ordain you as a sinner incapable of belief. That's what happens as a result of sin. So, no--it's not malicious.
I'm understanding you correctly that an inability to believe is the result of sinning?

Old 06-28-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I'm understanding you correctly that an inability to believe is the result of sinning?
It's the result of being born a descendant of Adam--a human being. In Adam we all sin, and in Christ we are made new.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
It's the result of being born a descendant of Adam--a human being. In Adam we all sin, and in Christ we are made new.
I must admit that I am more confused than I was previously now. How does this escape the problem I proposed?
If I am born in sin and born unable to believe in a God in order to save me from the sin and on top of that I will be punished for it; that's where the problem arises.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:25 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,761,076 times
Quote:
You'll have to think that one through again.

It's the result of being born a descendant of Adam--a human being. In Adam we all sin,

a sinner (is) incapable of belief.

If being a descendant of Adam and , therefore,all sinners, and sin is the reason by which people are incapable of believing, how can any humans come to believe?

I know you said:

"and in Christ we are made new." so there has to be some mechanism for the sinner incapable of believing to somehow become a sinner that IS capable of believing. What is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality