Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 12:14 PM

22,183 posts, read 19,227,493 times

Advertisements

How do you live a holy life? What does it mean to you and how do you put it into practice in your daily life?

Thank you everyone for your input and examples, may we grow in our understanding of what this means to each of us.

Also this is only about what it means for you in your life nothing to do with what it means for anyone else in their life.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-02-2017 at 12:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 12:22 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
The concept of holy doesn't mean anything to me, so this is a meaningless measure. As a result, I don't attempt to lead a holy life.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:24 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
The concept of holy doesn't mean anything to me, so this is a meaningless measure. As a result, I don't attempt to lead a holy life.
Ditto.

I do, however, try to live a good life.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:38 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Ditto.

I do, however, try to live a good life.
Likewise. I try to live a moral, productive, good life. I could add a few more adjectives, as I know you could as well. Holy isn't one of them.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:16 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
I leave my Bibles in the desk drawer and treat people as I'd like the to treat me.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:23 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,423,206 times
I recognize that there are higher powers that know and understand a heck of a lot more than I do. I try to connect with them as much as possible.

Most importantly, I DO NOT TRUST my ego!!

Old 07-02-2017, 03:24 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I leave my Bibles in the desk drawer and treat people as I'd like the to treat me.
Ditto but I don't have any bibles.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:38 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
As I have said before...I Practice the Presence.
At intervals throughout the day I stop, pause, close my eyes, or not, and expand my
everyday awareness or consciousness to what is 'really' happening...that the ceiling is not what it seems,
the chair is not what it seems, but are appearing as they are out of love...which is really at it's core light....of which I am connected to and is peace beyond what many know.
Love, oh my gosh...like a sacred well, there, for no reason except to quench anyone that comes near, that all is a dream and I am the dreamer that knows it all can be influenced by my beliefs....
Oh listen to me, I could go one and on about this...this is how I keep reverent
throughout the day acknowledging a Higher Power, a loving Spirit that is in the freaking rocks and
the air I breathe.

Practically speaking, that may be more relatable, I surround myself with Holy books...I may read one paragraph every 5 hours and swoon with it's depth...like from A Course In Miracles or The Way of Mastery...and so many others...Eastern and Western teachers, mystics and poets.

By Hafiz: an excerpt...

Let thought become the beautiful woman.
Cultivate your mind and heart to that depth
That it can give you everything
a warm body can....

I must say, mediocre is not for me!

Old 07-02-2017, 03:41 PM

1,058 posts, read 676,636 times
I take it day by day, I'm not sure if I would be worthy of saying I try to love a holy life-I lack commitment and I give in to my selfish desires, but I am learning that everything is about balance. I am opening my mind to more and more everyday and I am trying to be selective about what I let in so it doesn't ruin me.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:42 PM

1,058 posts, read 676,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
As I have said before...I Practice the Presence.
At intervals throughout the day I stop, pause, close my eyes, or not, and expand my
everyday awareness or consciousness to what is 'really' happening...that the ceiling is not what it seems,
the chair is not what it seems, but are appearing as they are out of love...which is really at it's core light....of which I am connected to and is peace beyond what many know.
Love, oh my gosh...like a sacred well, there, for no reason except to quench anyone that comes near, that all is a dream and I am the dreamer that knows it all can be influenced by my beliefs....
Oh listen to me, I could go one and on about this...this is how I keep reverent
throughout the day acknowledging a Higher Power, a loving Spirit that is in the freaking rocks and
the air I breathe.

Practically speaking, that may be more relatable, I surround myself with Holy books...I may read one paragraph every 5 hours and swoon with it's depth...like from A Course In Miracles or The Way of Mastery...and so many others...Eastern and Western teachers, mystics and poets.

By Hafiz: an excerpt...

Let thought become the beautiful woman.
Cultivate your mind and heart to that depth
That it can give you everything
a warm body can....
I want to read a course in miracles, but I'm a little scared to read it quite honestly. I'm reading, living budda, living christ right now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality