Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 09:14 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
Well, I just googled info about judgement day and it's another thing that I find illogical. It's God, why would he have to look through books and listen to an account of your life? Wouldn't the almighty know instantly everything there is about your life? Think about the terror that would actually cause people - why would a loving God put anyone through that, especially those who he lets in? Seems like more fear mongering to me which is unfortunate.
It's isn't any "God" who reviews your life - it's you.

But you will do so from a place stripped bare of the excuses and rationales with which most humans drape themselves.

Your psyche/soul will be naked and you will have no place else to look but inside.

Nowhere to hide.

That's judgement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 09:36 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Well, I just googled info about judgement day and it's another thing that I find illogical. It's God, why would he have to look through books and listen to an account of your life? Wouldn't the almighty know instantly everything there is about your life?
Seriously, haven't you ever heard of an analogy? Do you really think most Christians believe that God has this gargantuan book containing the names of everyone who has ever lived in it, along with a record of everything they ever did in their life? The point is that everything we do is known by God, as surely as if it were recorded on paper.

Quote:
Think about the terror that would actually cause people - why would a loving God put anyone through that, especially those who he lets in? Seems like more fear mongering to me which is unfortunate.
So you think it would be preferable for God to just give us commandments and then not bother holding us accountable for whether we obeyed them or not? That sounds like a pretty flaky God to me.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:31 PM

678 posts, read 429,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Seriously, haven't you ever heard of an analogy? Do you really think most Christians believe that God has this gargantuan book containing the names of everyone who has ever lived in it, along with a record of everything they ever did in their life? The point is that everything we do is known by God, as surely as if it were recorded on paper.
I'm not sure what parts most Christians take literally vs analogies or stories. Do most Christians literally believe in Noah's Ark or Adam and Eve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So you think it would be preferable for God to just give us commandments and then not bother holding us accountable for whether we obeyed them or not? That sounds like a pretty flaky God to me.
I guess I could have added the commandments to the list above too.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:54 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,089,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
It really is sad that most Christians lack the mental capacity or intellectual honest to realize just how ridiculous it is to believe they hold the only key to a blissful afterlife and that the vast majority of humans, despite their geographical beliefs, deserve an eternal torment. If there were a just God he would likely be disgusted by the lack of common sense and courage to think for themselves.
Isn't it true for Jews as well?
Do Jews believe Jesus is in Heaven?

Old 07-11-2017, 12:13 AM

10 posts, read 5,054 times
Quote:
I'm interested to learn more about people's beliefs in the afterlife. If you feel that only those who are Christians can go to heaven, you believe that God isn't letting over 75% of the mankind into heaven. So God is already extremely selective and getting even more selective.
Christianity is a very special religion, and the special group could only accept the special people. Once you accept Christ is the Lord, you are already being selective.

May the Lord bless you and guide you see the lights of the Christ being triumphed on calvary.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:33 AM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It's isn't any "God" who reviews your life - it's you.
But you will do so from a place stripped bare of the excuses and rationales with which most humans drape themselves.
Your psyche/soul will be naked and you will have no place else to look but inside.
Nowhere to hide.
That's judgement.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:49 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,847,151 times
Quote:
I'm interested to learn more about people's beliefs in the afterlife. If you feel that only those who are Christians can go to heaven, you believe that God isn't letting over 75% of the mankind into heaven. So God is already extremely selective and getting even more selective.

Do you also believe in a judgement day, and if so, what is that like? Won't an extremely exclusive God be even more selective if he's already rejecting billions of great people just because they didn't win the religious lottery? I would think he would then only take the cream of the crop Christians, the ones who live lives full of compassion.

What percentage of Christians do you believe get into Heaven, and how certain are you that you'll be one of them?

These are honest questions that I thought about after a devote Catholic relative of mine surprisingly expressed his uncertainty about himself getting into heaven and after reading some posts on here from those who believe on those who believe you must be Christian to get into heaven.
I'm not all that concerned with the afterlife, my life being lived in the present and living a life of love toward all being the most important thing to me. But these are thought provoking questions, and those are the best kind, so I'm going to answer them.

This is Romans 2:14-16:

Quote:
Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them. This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.
It seems to say, to me, if your natural inclination is to be loving toward all (as Christ is), then you're already following His commandments (love God and one another as I have loved you).

I believe that there will be a judgment day. I also believe that there will be more mercy shown on that day than we can possibly imagine. Mercy triumphs over judgment. (James 2:13)

Saying that seems to irritate a lot of people, but it's what I believe. Those that are irritated remind me of the older son in the prodigal son story. When the younger son comes home, and the father slaughters the calf and has an epic BBQ, the older son gets mad and is like "I've been serving you faithfully and obeying you all these years, and HE goes out and blows through his whole inheritance, and HE gets a party?? And the father says "you are always with me, what I have is yours, but we had to celebrate because he was dead and is now alive again, he was lost but now he's found."

I think, in the end, we all find our way back to the Father.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Isn't it true for Jews as well?
Do Jews believe Jesus is in Heaven?
I'm not sure, I thought most Jews were conflicted about what happens after we die, whereas in Christinity it's very well defined.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I'm not all that concerned with the afterlife, my life being lived in the present and living a life of love toward all being the most important thing to me.
I completely agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
But these are thought provoking questions, and those are the best kind, so I'm going to answer them.

This is Romans 2:14-16:

It seems to say, to me, if your natural inclination is to be loving toward all (as Christ is), then you're already following His commandments (love God and one another as I have loved you).

I believe that there will be a judgment day. I also believe that there will be more mercy shown on that day than we can possibly imagine. Mercy triumphs over judgment. (James 2:13)

Saying that seems to irritate a lot of people, but it's what I believe. Those that are irritated remind me of the older son in the prodigal son story. When the younger son comes home, and the father slaughters the calf and has an epic BBQ, the older son gets mad and is like "I've been serving you faithfully and obeying you all these years, and HE goes out and blows through his whole inheritance, and HE gets a party?? And the father says "you are always with me, what I have is yours, but we had to celebrate because he was dead and is now alive again, he was lost but now he's found."

I think, in the end, we all find our way back to the Father.
Saying anything about religion will irritate a lot of people Thanks for sharing your belief.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:48 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,834,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yup, totally agree. list the personality traits that these people have.

how would those traits in a person express atheism views and how would those traits express different views in theism? these all or nothing, black/white, and my way or you are wrong thinkers
Can those traits manifest in an atheist? Sure. But the "I got mine in heaven all the rest of y'all are going to burn in hell" is a specifically religious conceit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality