Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 11:15 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times

Advertisements

Jesus Didn't Die For You (http://apostasyone.blogspot.com/2011/01/jesus-didnt-die-for-you.html - broken link)

"Jesus "died" for me so that he can give himself permission to undo the curse he put on me in the first place because my great-great-great-great....grandparents obtained the forbidden knowledge of right and wrong they needed to have in order to obey his command not to in the first place, but only if I love him and worship him the way he wants me to, otherwise he's going to let me be tortured forever."

Old 01-18-2011, 11:59 AM

271 posts, read 355,595 times
Yes, he didn't !

Old 01-18-2011, 12:14 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth light View Post
Yes, he didn't !
So you're saying you didn't read the article. Mmkay.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:19 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Jesus didn't die.......he got killed.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:47 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
One of the biggest things Christians like to brag about is how their savior was so wonderful he actually died for all of us, to atone for the sin our great-great-great...grandparents committed. The fact that I'm being punished in the first place for something an ancient ancestor of mine supposedly did and all of the questions of justice that brings up aside, I've noticed that the Christians seem to be forgetting a crucial hole in their story:

Jesus died for your sins, not your ancestor's. Your ancestor gave you the disease of sin.

Jesus Didn't Die

The story goes that Jesus died and was resurrected after three days to once again become the uber-powerful Son of God in spirit form. That's not dying. That is temporarily being knocked unconscious (not even that, some Christians believe he was being tortured in hell) for three days. Jesus was supposedly the son of God, right? Well more than that, he was God, if you're most Christians anyway. Even if you're a Christian who doesn't accept the trinity, you at least believe that Jesus was this super-duper divine dude with a direct link to heaven and all the knowledge of God (for the most part, anyway). If this is true, then not only did he not die, but he knew he wasn't going to die. He knew he was just going to be out of commission for a few days, and after that continue his existence in an invincible, immortal form.

Jesus was fully man & died just like any other human.

So are you really offering yourself as a sacrifice when you know you're just going to come back after a few days? Did Jesus really die, in the same sense that humans do, i.e. in a very permanent sense? Jesus' loved ones all got to see him again before he ascended to heaven, too. Do Christians think this is the typical death experience of a normal human being?

The sacrifice was not so much in the dying (although that was horrific), but in taking on the sins of all mankind.

Jesus' sacrifice meant nothing, because he didn't truly face death as a human does. Even if you believe in some kind of afterlife, most people don't know it exists for certain. If we say for the sake of argument Jesus existed and was who he said he was, he knew what was waiting for him: an eternity of righteous glory at the right hand of God (but somehow at the same time being God). He didn't go into it blind like we do.

He didn't even suffer as much as some people do before they go. Jesus suffered for maybe a day and a half. Granted, he endured cruel torture, but what he got was no different than the thousands of criminals the Roman Empire prosecuted during that time. How can a few paltry hours of pain and suffering compare to the experience of people with inoperable cancer, some of whom spend years suffering excruciating pain?
Jesus' sacrifice made it possible for man to live forever, the vast majority of itof sorrow & pain.

Finally, how does the death of anyone pay any kind of "ransom" for someone else? The underlying theme of the Bible is rife with this concept of punishment-by-proxy. Not only are people punished for their actions, but their loved ones and descendants serve as perpetual divine whipping boys. Jesus "died" for me so that he can give himself permission to undo the curse he put on me in the first place because my great-great-great-great....grandparents obtained the forbidden knowledge of right and wrong they needed to have in order to obey his command not to in the first place, but only if I love him and worship him the way he wants me to, otherwise he's going to let me be tortured forever. Makes total sense.

God has always required a blood sacrifice for the remission of sins. A life for a life. Jesus was the ultimate & final blood sacrifice.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-22-2011 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: red fonts are reserved for moderation.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:52 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
I don't usually like to respond to a substantial post with a dissmisive one -liner, but all I can really say in response to the above is

'Myth'.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:57 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Jesus Didn't Die For You (http://apostasyone.blogspot.com/2011/01/jesus-didnt-die-for-you.html - broken link)

"Jesus "died" for me so that he can give himself permission to undo the curse he put on me in the first place because my great-great-great-great....grandparents obtained the forbidden knowledge of right and wrong they needed to have in order to obey his command not to in the first place, but only if I love him and worship him the way he wants me to, otherwise he's going to let me be tortured forever."
Yeah, it's all very Stockholm Syndrome-ish, isn't it?

Old 01-18-2011, 02:05 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
B.S. like this has held humanity back for far too long...

Jesus died for your sins, not your ancestor's. Your ancestor gave you the disease of sin.

I am not responsible for the sins of my fathers.

Jesus was fully man & died just like any other human.

The ONLY truth in this rebuttal... if there was even a jesus the man to begin with

The sacrifice was not so much in the dying (although that was horrific), but in taking on the sins of all mankind.

Why is it even necessary for sins to be paid for? Sure, I can see compensation/justice for the victim, but to believe the cosmos demand payment for the deeds of some hairless bipedal apes on a planet in the far side of the milky way is not only silly, but it speaks volumes about our species' ridiculously overbaked sense of self-aggrandizement.

Jesus' sacrifice made it possible for man to live forever, the vast majority of it free of sorrow & pain.

Yes, if only we were THAT important.

God has always required a blood sacrifice for the remission of sins. A life for a life. Jesus was the ultimate & final blood sacrifice.

I can't think too highly of a god who demands blood sacrifice. That sounds too much like this:

Old 01-18-2011, 02:18 PM

563 posts, read 929,445 times
Here's the Muslim logic about Jesus dying for us.

His analogy in the latter part of this video is what the OP's reference to the blog reminded me of initially.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:07 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I don't usually like to respond to a substantial post with a dissmisive one -liner, but all I can really say in response to the above is

'Myth'.
Gezundheit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality