Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 12:36 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times

Advertisements

Why? Because most of us that are not Fundies have said clearly that we think that much
in the Old Testament (not all, read Ps 139! or Ps 37:4) is barbaric, savage, primitive, superstitious...and many have said
only idiots would still believe that 'nonsense'... I have said this is why God gave us a brain to be
able to see that this is not the way things really are/were...it is full of blame and misinterpretations
of Who God is...liking blood sacrifices are like throwing virgins into volcanoes...same primitive , yet innocent/ignorant mind set.

Well, I hear ya...you 'who will not be named' , that you consider these insults...and so you began to attack back...I myself saw a change in you...when I thought at first we got along fine/respectfully.

So, gang...how do we express our insight, thoughts, realizations without saying words like barbaric?
I'm not here to hurt people's feelings.
However, someone may have the opinion that sometimes you have to...this needs some thought and clarity to be shared amounst us.
Thanks

Old 09-01-2017, 01:16 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Barbaric is as barbaric does.

Trying to gloss over the primitive savagery of the OT is akin to the classic putting-lipstick-on-a-pig scenario. Remember when the Irish were blowing themselves and British soldiers up? It was euphemistically referred to as "the Troubles." Like that somehow made it better?

I don't do pretend or soft-soaping when it comes to the serious business of combating fundamentalism.

I freely admit there's good stuff in the bible. But to ignore the disgraceful and disgusting aspects is wrong.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:17 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Well, Miss H, if you can come up with a pc term that actually describes the nature of ideas like genocide and dashing babies' heads against rocks, let me know.

Things like punishment without the possibility of it causing a change are fairly recent developments,but that doen't change the fact that it is merely revenge and not justice.

If someone is defending such things as God given directions is does that mean that God is being insulted or the idea that such things could be? Is accusing those who defend such ideas of holding primitive notions an insult, or just a description of the idea held and a wake up call to those who don't seem to have considered those ideas in the light of the message of Christ?

Old 09-01-2017, 01:31 PM

Good...the discussion begins...thanks Mr. Swifty...ok I'll never call you that again...it slipped out!

Old 09-01-2017, 01:50 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Well, Miss H, if you can come up with a pc term that actually describes the nature of ideas like genocide and dashing babies' heads against rocks, let me know.

Things like punishment without the possibility of it causing a change are fairly recent developments,but that doen't change the fact that it is merely revenge and not justice.

If someone is defending such things as God given directions is does that mean that God is being insulted or the idea that such things could be? Is accusing those who defend such ideas of holding primitive notions an insult, or just a description of the idea held and a wake up call to those who don't seem to have considered those ideas in the light of the message of Christ?
As the poster boy for barbaric adjectives, I will refrain from participating, but I applaud the attempt to bring some sanity and accuracy to the subject, Miss H. Hopefully the thread will not be shut down.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:07 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Why? Because most of us that are not Fundies have said clearly that we think that much
in the Old Testament (not all, read Ps 139! or Ps 37:4) is barbaric, savage, primitive, superstitious...and many have said
only idiots would still believe that 'nonsense'... I have said this is why God gave us a brain to be
able to see that this is not the way things really are/were...it is full of blame and misinterpretations
of Who God is...liking blood sacrifices are like throwing virgins into volcanoes...same primitive , yet innocent/ignorant mind set.

Well, I hear ya...you 'who will not be named' , that you consider these insults...and so you began to attack back...I myself saw a change in you...when I thought at first we got along fine/respectfully.

So, gang...how do we express our insight, thoughts, realizations without saying words like barbaric?
However, someone may have the opinion that sometimes you have to...this needs some thought and clarity to be shared amounst us.
Thanks
I think it has a lot to do with your perspective on things. I'm guessing that if you understand the context of those passages, you'd agree that they're not "barbaric". But I don't believe you're willing to try.

And yes--by the way, calling people "idiots" is kind of rude, and tends to incite people.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:24 PM

Well, we/I could try to say the 'I feel' communication technique..."I feel that many of the
Old Test beliefs are barbaric...I'm sorry you see them to be just and not savage."

We could ask a fundie ..."Is that a better way to say it? Sound less insulting?
That way you feel what you feel and I feel what I feel.''

But, hey when someone is on a mission to rid the earth of fundamentalism...whoa.
But,we all know by now we get more flies with honey...of course, they do die getting stuck in it...not such a good example...

Old 09-01-2017, 02:29 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

Thanks
Why apologize to Fundimentalist Christians.. The very label " Christian " indicates they believe that Jesus was the "Son of God", NO?? Am I misreading your question Miss H.?

Christians that believe in the "Written Word" both Old and New Testament really should understand that God sent Jesus to earth to preach forgiveness and to aid those vulnerable.. No more barbaric treatment and be able to enter heaven. BUT somehow, Fundie's want to use the OLD Testament teachings to excuse their strict interpretations.. Kind of like the Pharisee's did during Jesus' time on earth. So how can they circularly describe them as Christians??

They seem selective when justifying their stances.. Yet claim they are Christian .. Why don't they be at least honest enough to admit they really are Jewish Ideologues??

As a CHristian, I have always questions the motives of Fundamentalists teachings .. especially some sects who still SHUN members of the church (especially women as in the Mormon and Christian Science folk ( run and organized with MALES being the dictator of the interpretation of their particular SECT!!

It's actually " Selective" ideology to preserve the MALE dominance .. as to them> WOMEN have their place (subservient) to the males! ZERO tolerance as much of Old Testament taught by those that transcribed their views ( Human/male transcribers) to maintain dominance!

WE are no longer living in a singular society.. 20+ millennia has passed and human's have evolved.. so WHY do some Christian religious sects continue that demand? Are men so fearful? or just plain unable to accept what has evolved over the past few hundred years??

Male/Female roles have changed since then.. the old Folkways/Morays of even the 1900's have been changing since WOMEN have stepped up and filling the male role .. Why should anybody apologize to the "Stuck in the past males" ? I sure don't.. however, do pray, such unevolved Christian Fundamentalist die off to allow mankind to appreciate the VALUE of Women and other fellow humans!!

Last edited by Lyndarn; 09-01-2017 at 02:46 PM..

Old 09-01-2017, 02:50 PM

Quick ques....are you sure about shunning of women in Christian Science...I never saw that, only went a few times, tho...and Mary Baker Eddy founded it...

I respect your post, thank you!

Old 09-01-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I think it has a lot to do with your perspective on things. I'm guessing that if you understand the context of those passages, you'd agree that they're not "barbaric".
But I don't believe you're willing to try.
Really, then you would be incorrect...
Can you give us a full context...like a paraphrase of something? Something where God kills everyone ...
or some other bloody thing that we would think was very awful that God would never do.
Talk to me, not the others. I will be reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality