Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 05:02 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
The apostle John would disagree. He said the one that says he has no sin is a liar and deceives himself. The idea that human beings are good in ourselves is the problem. Just take a look at society...look at what people do to each other. Look at the city of Chicago.....there are how many people shot each year? People are downright bad.
You pass out your judgments predicated on your (or someone else's) own beliefs, or perhaps, it's from personal experience? However, not everyone fits into your definition of being a sinner or rotten to the core. Some of us actually do things for others without expecting anything in return - because of the love we have for others. I'm not saying there is not evil or wickedness in the world, but there is also a lot of good if you look for it. But I suppose you were taught to be pessimistic - viewing the worst in yourself, and that of others. If you can get a man to degrade himself, he will become what he believes. I hope you never tell a child they are stupid!

Last edited by Jerwade; 08-29-2017 at 05:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 06:42 PM

678 posts, read 429,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
The apostle John would disagree. He said the one that says he has no sin is a liar and deceives himself. The idea that human beings are good in ourselves is the problem. Just take a look at society...look at what people do to each other. Look at the city of Chicago.....there are how many people shot each year? People are downright bad.
You didn't quite get my point. I realize that every person has flaws and no one is perfect. But the concept of having to repent sin through a church and accept Jesus as the only savior and that's the only way to make it into the exclusive Heaven is what I find problematic. I wonder if people who want an exclusive heaven also want an exclusive earth because they feel better than others. Maybe that's not a sin, but it's a not a virtue I strive for.

People of Chicago are suffering. We should look at them as human beings who need help and not simply generalize and think "they're bad". People in gangs on the South and West side don't want to stay in gangs and would get the hell out and take your or my cushy office jobs in a heartbeat. Being a Baptist, I assume you voted for our "Christian" President who vowed to help, but he hasn't done jack to help - https://youtu.be/IxGkXSB8KRI

I'm ok with the President's ideology (not his character) and Joel Osteen's preaching, but what I have a problem with is when leaders deceive for power and greed.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:56 PM

764 posts, read 1,421,704 times
The cynical part of me wonders if the only reason Joel Osteen opened his church was because of the local social media backlash, especially after Jim Macinvale opened his furniture stores and used his delivery truck to help pick up those who were stranded. If the church truly was flooded as of yesterday, then I can't for the life of me see how it could be cleaned up to be opened today for shelter (I think it was opened earlier today - might have been yesterday though). The waters are still rising in areas (at least they are by me), so I again I don't see how the church could be drained and cleaned up on such short notice.

What I have seen around here the last few days was a lot of people helping others and they didn't ask who they voted for, what their religion is, or even seem to care what color one's skin is before helping.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:43 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc66 View Post
The cynical part of me wonders if the only reason Joel Osteen opened his church was because of the local social media backlash, especially after Jim Macinvale opened his furniture stores and used his delivery truck to help pick up those who were stranded. If the church truly was flooded as of yesterday, then I can't for the life of me see how it could be cleaned up to be opened today for shelter (I think it was opened earlier today - might have been yesterday though). The waters are still rising in areas (at least they are by me), so I again I don't see how the church could be drained and cleaned up on such short notice.
What I have seen around here the last few days was a lot of people helping others and they didn't ask who they voted for, what their religion is, or even seem to care what color one's skin is before helping.
Today I heard (hope its wrong ) that there were looters pretending to be stranded people, who attacked those offering help and stealing their boat or boats.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:05 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Today I heard (hope its wrong ) that there were looters pretending to be stranded people, who attacked those offering help and stealing their boat or boats.
I believe your hope is correct because that doesn't ring true.

What would the boat-thief do with the boat?

Very many good people of all colours and faiths are helping their neighbours in Texas, regardless of colour or faith.

It's what we are expected to do. It's good to see.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:42 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Very many good people of all colours and faiths are helping their neighbours in Texas, regardless of colour or faith.

It's what we are expected to do. It's good to see.

My heart breaks for my hometown of Houston! Houston, as well as all other areas hit by this storm, will overcome this! Thankful for all the good kind souls who have stepped up and who continue to step up to lend a helping hand!

Last edited by Matadora; 08-29-2017 at 10:57 PM..

Old 08-29-2017, 11:22 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
We could, Fundie but here's where we non-Christians have a massive problem with your kind of thinking:

Where is your God in all this??? Why isn't He looking out for His people??? Why is God allowing a false preacher who preaches a false gospel to millions upon millions upon millions of Christians and leading them down the road to hell and not stepping in to stop Osteen and protect His children???? Why are false Christian pastors the leading representative of the biggest churches in America?
Cue the 'free-will' nonsense and... 'He'll have to pay - one day.'

Old 08-30-2017, 12:24 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Well, we can all tune in to Good Morning America tomorrow morning, Wednesday..
ABC...7 am to hear Joel himself.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:50 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
Heard that this was fake news by the media , according to the people at the church , that actually the church was open to the public , but the church was surrounded by a lake of water and cut off for people , as people could go to another place two miles away

Old 08-30-2017, 06:51 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc66 View Post

This article definitely gives a different perspective:

Quote:

Iloff also noted that, while Lakewood was more than willing to make-do and house people, unlike the convention center, Lakewood has “no showers” and no kitchen, making the church more of an emergency shelter than anything else. Initially, the church waited to hear from city officials and planned to respond if needed.

Still, Iloff continuously affirmed that the bigger issue that impacted the decision to not immediately serve as a shelter centered on the building’s history of flooding.

“The fact is that we knew that we could not put anyone on the bottom floor,” he said, noting that the first floor is where the most space exists for housing flood victims. “We were very concerned about putting anyone on that bottom floor given the history.”
Here is the Complete Story Behind the Attacks on Joel Osteen

Again, you have to consider logistics, people. A local furniture store or small church can attend to the needs of a few hundred without major problems. You have to give a lot more consideration to safety concerns when bringing in thousands of people. One of the failures in the Katrina dome shelter was the lack of security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality