Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 12:23 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times

Advertisements

I just saw a very interesting facebook post about "Judgment Day" that I'd like to share. As an agnostic, I find such posts a little annoying and a little educational. It states that your opinion, culture, race, or religion will not matter. Your relationship with Jesus is all that will matter.

Isn't the belief in Jesus an opinion based on the religion of a culture that has depicted Jesus as a certain race of human? Did I miss something here?

I'm curious; what do others think about this type of religious activity on social media? I usually keep my mouth shut on Facebook and what not just to "keep the peace" with friends and relatives. However, I sometimes feel as though my silence is part of the problem. Should we REALLY be teaching our kids about being judged after death? Death is bad enough for us to deal with; do we really need to add to that stress an unproven myth of fear/judgment to young minds?

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...65&oe=5AD7EC52
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 01:44 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
They have children standing in front of the judge.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:03 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
The question always is, what good will their supposed personal relation with Jesus Christ do them if Allah turns out to be the judge?

This is merely Pascal's wager (which is merely good ol' hellthreat dressed up as a logical proposition) presented in a 'frighten 'em into church' advert. And the reverse 'What if you're wrong?' question works very well.

P.s I'm hoping that someone will argue againt this proposition as I've always wanted to argue the 'It won't be Allah, it'll be Jesus' rejoinder just as I've always wanted to argue the 'which god?" question, but never had the chance, but to those who get to the " Then who can be saved?" question, I can offer the reverse Pascal's wager and the atheist afterlife.

It's better to live your life as if there is no afterlife, as you'll gain a life and lose only a delusional fear. But if there is an afterlife, it's nothing that you need worry or even bother about, as no one religion is issuing afterlife tickets and it's an afterlife for everyone. Yes, nature does not weed out the wicked before birth nor see that they die before they do any harm, so why should it select people for an afterlife on the basis of their deeds, never mind their religious beliefs ?

It's rather cool comfort compared to an eternity of mental Bliss so profound that you don't even notice the screams of your tortured fellow humans, but it's better than no comfort to offer.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:35 AM

11,021 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
The question always is, what good will their supposed personal relation with Jesus Christ do them if Allah turns out to be the judge?

This is merely Pascal's wager (which is merely good ol' hellthreat dressed up as a logical proposition) presented in a 'frighten 'em into church' advert. And the reverse 'What if you're wrong?' question works very well.

P.s I'm hoping that someone will argue againt this proposition as I've always wanted to argue the 'It won't be Allah, it'll be Jesus' rejoinder just as I've always wanted to argue the 'which god?" question, but never had the chance, but to those who get to the " Then who can be saved?" question, I can offer the reverse Pascal's wager and the atheist afterlife.

It's better to live your life as if there is no afterlife, as you'll gain a life and lose only a delusional fear. But if there is an afterlife, it's nothing that you need worry or even bother about, as no one religion is issuing afterlife tickets and it's an afterlife for everyone. Yes, nature does not weed out the wicked before birth nor see that they die before they do any harm, so why should it select people for an afterlife on the basis of their deeds, never mind their religious beliefs ?

It's rather cool comfort compared to an eternity of mental Bliss so profound that you don't even notice the screams of your tortured fellow humans, but it's better than no comfort to offer.
Good post, TRANSPONDER.

Very good point.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:07 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
Jesus said to reject your culture , your brother , sister, father and mother if they reject Jesus Christ and go a follow Him , as people must repent or perish in the after life ...... The judgment day will come on the very last day thousand years after the second coming of Jesus Christ who come to rid the world of antichrist spirit and his followers in those days ....... See only people souls die with the body at death who reject Christ , were their spirit will live on to judgment day where there is a second death for the spirit of those who deny Christ God

Old 01-19-2018, 03:18 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Ok. So two deaths rather than one. Why should that bother me? I'd rather opt for death myself than spend eternity either grovelling to a despot or bobbing about like a helium balloon tanked up with celestial laughing -gas?

Old 01-19-2018, 04:32 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
They have children standing in front of the judge.
The people who share this stuff on social media most certainly teach their kids and grandkids about doomsday. I'm sure you're aware of this. As a child, I was raised to fear the return of Jesus (on a cloud "that every eye shall see").

Death is something that is extremely difficult to deal with. IMO however, stories about judgment myths are a childish and irresponsible way to deal with the death topic.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:09 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,945,679 times
Go into any court room, and you'll find judgment being handed down. Most still proclaim their innocent while claiming that the judge was unfair. But they face the medicine just the same.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:03 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Go into any court room, and you'll find judgment being handed down. Most still proclaim their innocent while claiming that the judge was unfair. But they face the medicine just the same.
Very true.

Thanks for pointing out that we can literally see court rooms here on earth. Which is a lot different than your imaginations of court rooms in the sky.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:38 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I just saw a very interesting facebook post about "Judgment Day" that I'd like to share. As an agnostic, I find such posts a little annoying and a little educational. It states that your opinion, culture, race, or religion will not matter. Your relationship with Jesus is all that will matter.

Isn't the belief in Jesus an opinion based on the religion of a culture that has depicted Jesus as a certain race of human? Did I miss something here?

I'm curious; what do others think about this type of religious activity on social media? I usually keep my mouth shut on Facebook and what not just to "keep the peace" with friends and relatives. However, I sometimes feel as though my silence is part of the problem. Should we REALLY be teaching our kids about being judged after death? Death is bad enough for us to deal with; do we really need to add to that stress an unproven myth of fear/judgment to young minds?
Do you think the idea of no judgment, no accountability is BETTER?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality