Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 02:40 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,775,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Isn't that interesting? Atheists tend to be white male.

The most powerful group doesn't need God. Or else, they believe that they are in desperate need more than any other group, particularly in need of personal salvation.
I should have added a smiley to show I had my tongue in cheek. That atheism is a club for white males has been a bit of a finger -pointing. In fact there are some outstanding female activists and speakers, and one or two that caused a few ripples, like one that made a few speeches (a bit diffuse in content from the you tubes) and then went back to religion and another who projected 'elevatorgate' at an atheist conference, after she was invited to have 'coffee' and made a bit of a campaign about it (U/U churches have had a flurry of feminist agenda) and Dawins could have handled it better, effectively dismissing it as unimportant.

The Fundies, suddlenly becoming ardent defenders of women's right after going to see 50 shades of grey at the Fort Pillow movie house and being disgusted at the sexual abuse of women (they went to see it eight times to see how disgusted they could get) took up the cry, and if it din't bring the whole atheist movemt to a grinding halt it wasn't their fault.

But without playing the ..what was it..'Mutapha fallacy' ("Muslima"...there are worse things than that so we can ignore this - a favourite one fo religious apologetics - we do want and need more women and non whites in atheism,but we can't bring them in if they don't join.

And what can be done about blokes trying their luck with a decent -looking bird I don't know. There should perhaps be some Rules and give and take. Women shouldn't go running to the press waving the feminist banner every time they asked for a date, and men should definitely take "No" for an answer.

I am of course, myself, an ardent feminist.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhZRDoGZg00
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 08:08 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,884,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I should have added a smiley to show I had my tongue in cheek. That atheism is a club for white males has been a bit of a finger -pointing. In fact there are some outstanding female activists and speakers, and one or two that caused a few ripples, like one that made a few speeches (a bit diffuse in content from the you tubes) and then went back to religion and another who projected 'elevatorgate' at an atheist conference, after she was invited to have 'coffee' and made a bit of a campaign about it (U/U churches have had a flurry of feminist agenda) and Dawins could have handled it better, effectively dismissing it as unimportant.

The Fundies, suddlenly becoming ardent defenders of women's right after going to see 50 shades of grey at the Fort Pillow movie house and being disgusted at the sexual abuse of women (they went to see it eight times to see how disgusted they could get) took up the cry, and if it din't bring the whole atheist movemt to a grinding halt it wasn't their fault.

But without playing the ..what was it..'Mutapha fallacy' ("Muslima"...there are worse things than that so we can ignore this - a favourite one fo religious apologetics - we do want and need more women and non whites in atheism,but we can't bring them in if they don't join.

And what can be done about blokes trying their luck with a decent -looking bird I don't know. There should perhaps be some Rules and give and take. Women shouldn't go running to the press waving the feminist banner every time they asked for a date, and men should definitely take "No" for an answer.

I am of course, myself, an ardent feminist.....

youtube
This kind of attitude among evangelists of all types confirms my belief that's it's probably best to just let people have the freedom to believe what they choose. Freedom of Religion. I think that Theism is the natural belief, and if that occurs within a specific denomination, so be it. Most members of the denomination do NOT have that need to evangelize. Even many religious fundamentalists don't.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:40 AM

Positive discrimination - Yes, Minister - BBC

Hilarious

Old 04-22-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
This kind of attitude among evangelists of all types confirms my belief that's it's probably best to just let people have the freedom to believe what they choose. Freedom of Religion. I think that Theism is the natural belief, and if that occurs within a specific denomination, so be it. Most members of the denomination do NOT have that need to evangelize. Even many religious fundamentalists don't.
I almost totally agree. But the problem is twofold

(1) freedom of religion is not always seen as including freedom FROM religion.
(2) Freedom to believe whatever you like, but you can't expect to have a job, house or place in Our community if it isn't the right belief.

(3) - make that threefold... it so often used against atheists: 'let people believe what they like' without perceiving that the secular humanist society we are pushing for is there precisely to allow people to believe what they like, and not just the supposed popular choice of Christian denomination.

(4) make that Fourfold... I agree that Theism is a 'natural' belief -instinct. But that doesn't make it true, and shouldn't give it any particular credibility or validity. Logically and evidentially, disbelief, while not a Natural instinct, has the credibility and validity.

(5) ..the heck with it....belief in some sorta god is not what atheists are really bothered about. It is organised religion and its' influence. Sure we argue about abiogenesis and consciousness and First cause even though they are not things that are really a problem for atheists; we have to oppose it because they are used by particular religions and denominational believers that ARE a problem for us.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:41 PM

But the religion itself has nothing to do with any of things atheists oppose and dislike about "religion". If they successfully removed religion the other problems would still be there. The problems are more political and economic.

But religion will never go away. As long as there are an elite group sitting around a table planning what to do with all the common people, there will always be religion.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
But the religion itself has nothing to do with any of things atheists oppose and dislike about "religion". If they successfully removed religion the other problems would still be there. The problems are more political and economic.

But religion will never go away. As long as there are an elite group sitting around a table planning what to do with all the common people, there will always be religion.
Religion (organised religion) is very much to do with the things atheists oppose or perhaps what atheists are beginning to see where the 'agenda' is leading.

At first it was just arguing against god beliefs of all kinds, and as the debate has gone on, New (activist) atheists (originally going in blind) have had to revise their aims and objectives.

Convincing people there is no God is no longer the objective and - as you say - isn't practicable anyway. Even now people believe in astrology and (for crying out loud) flat earth, but the objective is to make these people unimportant and non -influential.

Religion, since I first graduated at the Online College of Positive Atheism (principal Cliff Walker), was far more important in the UK than it is now. But it's the US and a monumental grip on and exploitation of the populace that is the problem.

I won't go into the background, cause and methods of Fundymental (and usually YE Creationist) Christianity, but they are probably the most diabolical (if you will forgive the term) of all the sheeple -herding Churches in the US. The threat to Law, education and politics was very real and I hardly need point out, still is. The grip it has on the armed forces has only recently been loosened a little bit and the hold on community (spilling over into politics where an avowed atheist is effectively banned from holding public office) is still very significant and in Bible -belt states, monolithic.

There is still a lot of sorting out what our priorities are. Evolution was never really the issue and the Bible always was. The evolution debate was forced on us (and science) by the Young Earthists who denied evolution because it undermined Genesis. It never was the reason to disbelieve in a god, though it was a reason to not take the Bible literally (1). The huge and well funded push by YE Creationism and the very real incursion into education and politics (Genesis taught in the science class and evolution denial - and a complete mess of lies and misrepresentation, too - preached in the US Senate) had forced Evolution -theory to be the Debate even more than the Bible- and in fact the NT, which is (for me) the Only debate that really matters.

So where do the Non literalist and irreligious theists stand on this? Well, Troutdude is in fact a God -believing (that maybe should be "Lower case"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wogta8alHiU

I don't know what a Nagila is, but, if it's free, I'll have one.)

Theist who is totally in our camp. If all the sortagoddists were like him our job would be done, and I could stop posting and struggling to write a Book (2) on it. But they all to often are not, and initial bewilderment at the Fundystyle hostility towards "New" atheism by those who ought to be joining with us in rolling back the influence (and persecution - it is not too strong a word - of atheists (3), has now Jelled in my mind as possible explanations. There are various reasons why:

(a) their belief is based on nothing, really, since they cannot refer to the Bible but only Gap for God arguments. Challenge to this eggshell fragile Faith -claim elicits a fierce reaction.
(b) because they believe in a god, when push comes to shove, they will side with others who believe in God, because almost always their "god" is culturally identical with Biblegod. Just suggest that it's Allah and see how they react.
(c) anti - liberalism, spawned by the 1950's Red Scare and which really set off the whole fundamentalist, Young Earth Creationist, Bible -literalists and science - skeptic social infection seems to be in some cases the basis for detestation of outspoken atheism and the avowed agenda to roll back religious influence in public (and political) life, which they see (with justification) as a left -wing liberal agenda (4).

So there was a LOT of debate about the right methods, and somehow the Zombie Jesus Marches and even targeting tea houses run by sweet little old grannies who gave reductions to people who prayed before sipping as Unconstitutional have been rethought because atheism stinks in the nostrils of the US and we cannot afford to roll in anything like more crap. We have to look Better than Christians.
Court cases do attract a lot of Flak, but these are (as I think also debates with creationists) necessary. And the result look encouraging.

Not only do atheists dominate R/S (Religion and Skepticism ) here but the rise of the 'nones' (which may include more atheists than it seems as most don't even know they ARE atheists) -IF it continues - could result in an irreligious voting majority while I am still infesting the world with my ungodly presence.

Which gets back to your point about power politics and Rulers. Right now lip service to God -belief is mandatory for anyone trying for a political career. But once the message gets around that even being a Believer that does NOT approve of Creationism, Church control, erosion of the church/state divide, and embraces freedom of all religion and none, taxation of churches and cracking down on criminals using religion as a cover is MORE likely to get elected than one who isn't, and you will find that the rulers and politician will be changing sides faster than a 14th c Florentine mercenary.

(1) this Atheists literalism is quite misunderstood by God believers who don't take the Bible literally; our debate with them is much more about the evidence in nature - natural forces v. the watchmaker argument.

The Bible as substantially true (if not literally factual cover -to cover as per the Hovind mantra) is the basis of churches and organised religion, even if not Fundamentalist YE Creationist. So is it That belief that we argue with - is the Bible reliable?

Theists who do Not take the Bible as substantially factual are not part of this argument at all. Unless they want to be.

(2)just got past the Sermon on the mount, Folks. But I may need another Advance.

(3) And I have to mention yet again Professor Stavrakopolou here who Ought to be supporting New Atheism which is trying to right the problems she so eloquently described encountering, but rather opposes us - I guess because the Bible is her study and her work and she resents those whom she sees as trying to remove it as significant in society.

(4) Don't often get as far as (4) since (there was a thread on it) a lack of God -belief does seem to result in a greater or lesser shift of social view towards the liberal. It is far from unusual to see Christian Fundies who end up losing Godfaith almost as part of the deconversion process, ship from Conservative views to Liberal. It apparently happens, so no point denying it.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 04-22-2018 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: many, many typos and 2nd thots.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:24 PM

The Bible contains enough wisdom and enough Truth in it's stories to be a treasured book by anyone who accepts it. Whether it is interpreted literally or not, the interpretation to the believer is always a good one. And it also gives every Theist an agreed upon source from which to draw upon as an ancient source of spiritual guidance. None of the books contained within it would have endured without their having that same level of quality. People know there is truth in the stories, and it doesn't matter whether that truth is literal or not. Because everyone has a different perspective and it can change during their lives. Even if the author intended it to mean one thing, the fact that it might contain a strong symbolic truth means that the same truth can be applied literally. (This is true of any popular literary work which endures over time.) Most people wouldn't even be interested in understanding the symbolic meaning behind a story or legend. It is the story itself which counts.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:35 PM

I like Steve Martin, but I doubt that any atheistic songs will ever achieve any popularity, so he should probably stick to the regular humor. Similarly, I was impressed with Dan Barker the first time I saw him, and admire the fact that he helps people who might want to break free from organized religion. But HE convinced me that atheism was false. Why? Because his atheistic comedy hymns are just as flat. I believe that God inspires all great art. Therefore, any art that tries to deny that divine inspiration is going to be completely dead.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:53 AM

Quote:
I like Steve Martin, but I doubt that any atheistic songs will ever achieve any popularity, so he should probably stick to the regular humor. Similarly, I was impressed with Dan Barker the first time I saw him, and admire the fact that he helps people who might want to break free from organized religion. But HE convinced me that atheism was false. Why? Because his atheistic comedy hymns are just as flat. I believe that God inspires all great art. Therefore, any art that tries to deny that divine inspiration is going to be completely dead.
There's a hell of a lot of irreligious and even atheist music about and also some fine religious music. Bottom line - Bach can use a movement from a Brandenburg concerto as the first Chorus of a cantata, and Ives can use a drunken revel in a bar for piano as an outdoor prayer -meeting when orchestrated. Just as fine art is fine, whether it's depicting the rape of the Sabine women by Reubens or or Jesus sending a herd of pigs to their deaths by El Greco.

In fact "lower case" "god" always makes me think of the Steve Martin sketch (not really a song, is it? though I think speeded up and given an actual tune and a banjo it could work) and if it swipes at atheism iin using 'the blues' as a rhyme for 'Jews', it does us good by saying we get Sunday in bed.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:29 AM

Quote:
The Bible contains enough wisdom and enough Truth in it's stories to be a treasured book by anyone who accepts it. Whether it is interpreted literally or not, the interpretation to the believer is always a good one. And it also gives every Theist an agreed upon source from which to draw upon as an ancient source of spiritual guidance. None of the books contained within it would have endured without their having that same level of quality. People know there is truth in the stories, and it doesn't matter whether that truth is literal or not. Because everyone has a different perspective and it can change during their lives. Even if the author intended it to mean one thing, the fact that it might contain a strong symbolic truth means that the same truth can be applied literally. (This is true of any popular literary work which endures over time.) Most people wouldn't even be interested in understanding the symbolic meaning behind a story or legend. It is the story itself which counts.
My answer to this is a preference for quoting from LoR, Start trek and Peanuts, before the Bible, because they are (for my money) better and more relevant to the human condition.

My view is that the Bible is not really true and not really worthwhile as a guide to Human life let alone 'Spiritual', whatever that is supposed to mean, life.

So you can find inspiration in the Bible if you want; and I'll rather find it in LoR for apposite quotes, Startrek for questions about humanity and Peanuts for remarkably profound philosophy (and much better in my view than Charles Dodgson's smartarse fiddleology) and thus finding Good Things in the Bible is not really a good reason for you to be so prejudiced towards disbelievers and partial to the Bible and and it certainly is a total non starter for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality