Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 03:30 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,606,333 times

Advertisements

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.b13f007ec9b0

I just don't get it. How can it be excusable that women who are abused are told to pray, and stay. That is just so wrong, and yet, it seems, many Christians endorse leaders who make these statements.

I just don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 03:39 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,228,729 times
Funda-gelical men are weak, stupid, and often brutal. They revere the bible because it gives them permission to subjugate women and hate gays.

As a bonus, if they say the right magic words to Jesus, they'll shoot straight to heaven when they rattle their last breath.

In other words, it doesn't surprise me when men with all the spirituality of maggots say crap like that. And it surprises me even less that other maggots support them.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Old 05-02-2018, 03:55 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,054,226 times
I can't and won't even try to defend that. If a woman is abused she needs to get out immediately, and do everything she can to work with the police to prosecute said abuser. I'll go a step further and say that if a pastor/preacher/elder/deacon/whatever simply tells a woman to pray harder and let her husband or boyfriend beat her, he needs to be held accountable as an accessory.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:06 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,781,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I can't and won't even try to defend that. If a woman is abused she needs to get out immediately, and do everything she can to work with the police to prosecute said abuser. I'll go a step further and say that if a pastor/preacher/elder/deacon/whatever simply tells a woman to pray harder and let her husband or boyfriend beat her, he needs to be held accountable as an accessory.
Well said, and if everyone had that view, it would not harm the credibility of Christianity, as this is indeed the work of men who have gone off the rails and is not the teachings of Christianity.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:08 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,606,333 times
Quote:
Thank you for your post. I've seen many of yours I disagree with, but this puts you in the category of a decent person. Thanks.

Old 05-03-2018, 04:32 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,612,059 times
Quote:
but this puts you in the category of a decent person.
First times are alway special

Old 05-03-2018, 04:40 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,889,926 times
Quote:
Sorry, but I don't believe you. Anyone who would have such little regard for a man who liberated the country of India would never regard one single individual with this kind of compassion. An entire nation!

I just don't buy it. You are a salesman driven by money. If you weren't a salesman for the church you would be selling some other product.

Last edited by OzzyRules; 05-03-2018 at 04:58 AM..

Old 05-03-2018, 05:20 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,489,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.b13f007ec9b0

I just don't get it. How can it be excusable that women who are abused are told to pray, and stay. That is just so wrong, and yet, it seems, many Christians endorse leaders who make these statements.

I just don't get it.
1) Tribalism. No matter what a member of 'the team' does, to call them out is to let 'the other guys' win. Plenty of people think that way.

2) Misogyny. The foundational texts of Christianity clearly elevate men above women, and treat the latter as suspect at best and malign at worst. While many Christians do their best to ignore such aspects of their religion, some Christians actually like and embrace the repugnant elements.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:29 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,261,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Funda-gelical men are weak, stupid, and often brutal. They revere the bible because it gives them permission to subjugate women and hate gays.

As a bonus, if they say the right magic words to Jesus, they'll shoot straight to heaven when they rattle their last breath.

In other words, it doesn't surprise me when men with all the spirituality of maggots say crap like that. And it surprises me even less that other maggots support them.

Stupid is as stupid does.
I think this is the best explanation ever!

Old 05-03-2018, 06:22 AM

88,689 posts, read 85,015,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Sorry, but I don't believe you. Anyone who would have such little regard for a man who liberated the country of India would never regard one single individual with this kind of compassion. An entire nation!

I just don't buy it. You are a salesman driven by money. If you weren't a salesman for the church you would be selling some other product.
Haha. My mother's old pastor, whom I disliked upon meeting though I couldn't say why, went on to another church after hers, where he ended up porking the church secretary (he was married). The church removed him from the ministry, and he became a car salesman.

I wouldn't buy a car from him, either. He just oozed sleaze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality