Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 04:15 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times

Advertisements

Disclaimer:
I don't know the answer to the title - I don't know if this is how things are set up, I don't claim that this is how it works - and I am also open to the possibility that I could be totally wrong in thinking these thoughts.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, so on one hand atheists and theists both sort of claim that they have used their intelligence, logic, common sense and research to arrive at the conclusion that God does exist, or God does not exist.
Fair enough to both parties.

For the last two days, I have been thinking perhaps it's just the way we are wired. It's just the way our brains perceive and process things differently when experiencing the same exact situation?

Whether God exists or does not exist? Our gut feeling have different answers.

Our intelligence, logic, research, common sense, smartness, experiences, training etc all seems to fail and look totally helpless. It's just the way we are made differently from each other

What triggered these thoughts initially was when the Dress Phenomenon went viral a couple of years ago.

Some people saw it as blue and black, others saw it white and gold.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dress

And then it happened again a couple of days ago.

Some people hear it Laurel, others hear it Yanny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC3G1zmsB_k

People don't really have a choice - they see and hear things differently.

But what makes it different is that unlike one of those optical illusions where one person sees an old lady and the other sees a young lady - both are right and both are wrong *BUT* in the example I gave above - only one party is right. And the other is wrong. Those who see it blue and black are right.
And those who heard Laurel are also right.

The other two groups are wrong - but what can they do about it? Their brain is wired this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 06:38 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Disclaimer:
I don't know the answer to the title - I don't know if this is how things are set up, I don't claim that this is how it works - and I am also open to the possibility that I could be totally wrong in thinking these thoughts.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, so on one hand atheists and theists both sort of claim that they have used their intelligence, logic, common sense and research to arrive at the conclusion that God does exist, or God does not exist.

For the last two days, I have been thinking perhaps it's just the way we are wired. It's just the way our brains perceive and process things differently when experiencing the same exact situation?

Our intelligence, logic, research, common sense, smartness, experiences, training etc all seems to fail and look totally helpless. It's just the way we are made differently from each other

What triggered these thoughts initially was when the Dress Phenomenon went viral a couple of years ago.

But what makes it different is that unlike one of those optical illusions where one person sees an old lady and the other sees a young lady - both are right and both are wrong *BUT* in the example I gave above - only one party is right. And the other is wrong. Those who see it blue and black are right.

The other two groups are wrong - but what can they do about it? Their brain is wired this way.
I heard Laurel at first but now I hear Yanny. The Laurel sounds like a man saying it with a low voice. The Yanny sounds like a little old lady.

What's funny is that among media and political people I know. The ones I don't like hear Laurel.

I know that some people are red green color blind. It is my contention that some people see green and red in reverse. Grass is red, trees are red etc. but they call it green because to them that color IS green.

Last edited by eddie gein; 05-20-2018 at 06:49 PM..

Old 05-20-2018, 06:50 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Disclaimer:

That is weird. I hear "Yanny", and the dress is white and gold.

Old 05-20-2018, 06:56 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I heard Laurel at first but now I hear Yanny. The Laurel sounds like a man saying it with a low voice. The Yanny sounds like a little old lady.

What's funny is that among media and political people I know. The ones I don't like hear Laurel.

I know that some people are red green color blind. It is my contention that some people see green and red in reverse. Grass is red, trees are red etc. but they call it green because to them that color IS green.
I think my ex was color blind and didn't know. One time we were in a restaurant, and the wall was a bright kelly green. I said I loved the color, and he said, "Why do people like green? It's such a dull color. I pointed at the bright green wall and said "That looks dull to you?" He said yes.

Interesting about the red and green switch.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:00 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Disclaimer:

Then if it is shown that we can't agree, then perhaps we should let science decide. Analyzing the light should tell us which wavelength color it is. and if it can't decide itself, when we should say 'well, we don't know for sure rather than pick a preference and claim that's right.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:01 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The video is "not available in your country."

And yeah, the dress has always been white and gold to me.

But I don't think people are hard-wired to either believe, or not, in a God-thing. Way too many other variables come into play: geography of birth, upbringing, political system, economic status, education, innate intelligence and several etcs.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:03 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Me too. I heard one video where someone turned the pitch all the way up and I finally heard "laurel". he also found that kids for some reason seemed to hear Yanny too by about 3 to 1. If I look at the dress long enough I can see a bluish tint but the gold stays gold.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:13 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The video is "not available in your country."

And yeah, the dress has always been white and gold to me.

But I don't think people are hard-wired to either believe, or not, in a God-thing. Way too many other variables come into play: geography of birth, upbringing, political system, economic status, education, innate intelligence and several etcs.
I think it was with GoCardinals we discussed this on the atheism forum and I admitted by default my mind goes to "there must a a logical explanation" for things other people call supernatural. For example, I have sleep paralysis and was raised to fear demons. Some people who have experienced this are convinced this is proof of demonic activity. Even at 14, fully immersed in the culture, I was able to override that in favor of there being a logical explanation that was outside of my grasp. I don't think everyone has that default. That may be due to some wiring.

Edit: holy crap that dress now looks back and blue. Maybe it' because I'm on a PC instead of a phone or because I'm in the dark right now. Weird!

Last edited by L8Gr8Apost8; 05-20-2018 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: It's the lower light in the room.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:35 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Last edited by L8Gr8Apost8; Today at 10:21 PM.. Reason: It's the lower light in the room.

By golly, you may have solved at least part of the puzzle of howcum etc.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:04 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
I had the screen showing half the dress while watching the video and talking my SO about it and suddenly the dress was blue and black - until I scrolled up down. So I see a white and gold dress and hear yanny while my SO hears yanny and sees blue and black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I think it was with GoCardinals we discussed this on the atheism forum and I admitted by default my mind goes to "there must a logical explanation" for things other people call supernatural.

Yeah, this would be me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality