Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 04:06 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Wait, I thought we atheists never admitted to being wrong.

And a for admitting that you was.
Don't worry. I'll pop up on another thread claiming that i never said it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 04:19 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I agree with my friends. I have to admit that i was for a time blind to just why MQ got held up as an admirable poster, but I amstarting to see it.
Huh. I still don't.

Wait...you have friends?

Old 06-06-2018, 07:10 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Huh. I still don't.

Wait...you have friends?
Aw c'mon, MQ. You ain't ALL bad, and Trans occasionally makes a valid point.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:11 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
I am somewhat familiar with that congregation, albeit by decades. The ex cat-wife and her parents were rabid coc members, at least until I came along, although not with that particular congregation My parents were involved in the Bill Weber cult, a few miles away, which took a more deceptive front to what they taught.
I am noticing that "autocratism" is also missing, and this defines the coc, as anyone who has been involved and left can attest. (Most current members cannot see this)
Congregations such as the one mentioned by the OP tend to be very authoritative as well as autocratic, and speaking out against anyone and anything that is outside of their group further serves to isolate and reinforce group values exclusively.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Huh. I still don't.

Wait...you have friends?
In spite of my best efforts, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Aw c'mon, MQ. You ain't ALL bad, and Trans occasionally makes a valid point.
to quote Charlie Brown "Sometimes I'd like to hear a little more than The Least".

Old 06-06-2018, 08:26 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Liberalism can in no way fall into the category of either a religion or a religious belief. No more than conservatism does. There are liberals and conservatives in pretty well every religion as well as among arheists.

That you are unwilling to call out an organization calling itself a church for promoting hatred towards other religions, political views and a disease speaks as much about yourself as it does that church. Would you have a different opinion if it was an atheist group claimin that Baptists, Christian fundamentalism and conservatism were all dangers to society?
Sure it is. Have you never heard of "liberal Christians"? They're Christians that take a very loose interpretation of the Bible, believing that the events of the Bible are not to be taken as actual history.

And no--I'm not willing to read into a church's materials and assign motive where we don't know that it exists. To do such a thing would be to pre-judge them. I won't do that.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
They didn't need to It was the Christians who wrote the Gospels who handled that aspect, and a neat job they made of it, too. as it was the basis for 2,000 years of Jewish persecution, and still is.
What color is the sky in your world? Because it sure isn't blue, like the rest of us.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
What color is the sky in your world? Because it sure isn't blue, like the rest of us.
No, it is the colour it actually is, not the colour you would like it to be.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
No, it is the colour it actually is, not the colour you would like it to be.
Clever comeback.

Again...I know nothing about this church. I do know it's of a denomination that tends to be overly legalistic, in my view, but the difference between you and me is that I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and not prejudge anyone that disagrees with me. You ought to at least hear what they teach before you act morally superior.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Sure it is. Have you never heard of "liberal Christians"? They're Christians that take a very loose interpretation of the Bible, believing that the events of the Bible are not to be taken as actual history.

And no--I'm not willing to read into a church's materials and assign motive where we don't know that it exists. To do such a thing would be to pre-judge them. I won't do that.
You are overdoing it. Nobody is judging them, they are asking a question. "Why don't you condemn fascism and racism as well?" I imagine their answer will be "Because these are threats to religion". To which I'd say "Liberalism?"

"Yes".

Quote:
Clever comeback.
And true, too.

Quote:
Again...I know nothing about this church. I do know it's of a denomination that tends to be overly legalistic, in my view, but the difference between you and me is that I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and not prejudge anyone that disagrees with me. You ought to at least hear what they teach before you act morally superior.
I'm not interested in what they teach -or preach, rather. I'm interested in their explanation of this document and also why they make no mention of fascism and racism as dangers. And I'll save my judgement until I hear their explanation rather than pre -judge as you do assuming that they have some good explanation so we don't need to call them out on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality