Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 08:15 PM

444 posts, read 582,439 times

Advertisements

I live in the Charlotte area now which is considered "Billy Graham" country. I do not have the actual figures but the number of people who attend church is high around here, maybe 60% or more.

So, I have always had the expectation that when a person goes to church they are learning how to properly treat their neighbor.

Yet, all too often I watch folks speed out of the church parking on Sunday behaving in an obligatory way to those around them. I have also witnessed in the grocery story, many carry themselves as though people around them should yield to them, or behave in a way they would expect; you know who they are on Sunday in their dress cloths. Funny I mention, the worse drivers on the road always seem to be those with a "mega church" bumper sticker.

I honestly do not understand the though process. It concerns me that the churches are not teaching moral principles anymore. Do folks really believe their behaviors are inconsequential because they go each week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 09:23 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,092,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT'ah View Post
I live in the Charlotte area now which is considered "Billy Graham" country. I do not have the actual figures but the number of people who attend church is high around here, maybe 60% or more.

So, I have always had the expectation that when a person goes to church they are learning how to properly treat their neighbor.

Yet, all too often I watch folks speed out of the church parking on Sunday behaving in an obligatory way to those around them. I have also witnessed in the grocery story, many carry themselves as though people around them should yield to them, or behave in a way they would expect; you know who they are on Sunday in their dress cloths. Funny I mention, the worse drivers on the road always seem to be those with a "mega church" bumper sticker.

I honestly do not understand the though process. It concerns me that the churches are not teaching moral principles anymore. Do folks really believe their behaviors are inconsequential because they go each week?
I think it’s more of a concern for the people of Islamic faith since modern day Christianity is based on “belief” only, and not on “works” (Believe in Jesus to be your savior and a red carpet welcome is awaiting you in the heavens) - while Islam is based on two items: “belief” is the Pre-requisite of doing good “works”, and abstaining from bad “works”.

In Islam, one MUST support his belief in the Islamic faith by trying his best to do “good works”, and try his best to avoid “bad works”, till his time is up.

A few of the “good works” that are THE MOST important ones but severely lack in many Muslims are,

Practicing Patience
Forgiving others
Staying clean of corruption etc

On the flip side of the coin, Islamic faith has a very positive effect on many Muslims who live their day to day life under the guidance of Islamic faith.

Last edited by GoCardinals; 08-03-2018 at 09:34 PM..

Old 08-03-2018, 09:26 PM

7,276 posts, read 5,288,966 times
Quote:

Religion does not change the instincts of being human. No matter what your parents have taught you, what you've learned in school, the words spoken to you at church/temple, at the end of the day you are still human. And humans prove that their bad side can be just that. I've seen it first hand with friends and family, so it really shouldn't surprise you.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:05 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,996,674 times
Quote:

Some churches still teach moral principles. If yours does not, find one that does.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:44 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,062,356 times
The churches probably TEACH moral principles, but they cannot force people to abide by them. My ex and the woman with whom he cheated sat in the front row every Sunday. Remember the comparison to “whited sepulchres?” (Matthew 23:27)

Old 08-04-2018, 08:00 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Christians seem to engage in bad behavior roughly as frequently as non-Christians.

Christians have pre/extra-marital sex, steal things, commit fraud, and so forth, as do non-theists. There are various studies out there that seem to indicate most of these activities happen at about the same frequency regardless of religion, in some cases religious people seem to engage in sketchy behavior a bit more often.

I don’t know that it is hypocrisy as much as it is human nature.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:12 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
Lol, this reminds me of a talk Joyce Myer gave ...almost
verbatim:
Who ARE you people that come to my programs? The volunteers out in the parking lot tell me about how y'all are lying about being handicapped so you can park closer...even using a crutch to fake them out..

Another time: When you see someone cutting you off grabbing your parking space
you were backing into...
look, they'll probably have a fish on their bumper. What is wrong with you people!?

Aren't people characters!!! That Joyce...

Old 08-04-2018, 06:38 PM

19,054 posts, read 27,620,833 times
Romans 2:1
You therefore have no excuse, you who pass judgment on another. For on whatever grounds you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things.

Why even bother with such trivial things......

Old 08-05-2018, 10:07 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
Some churches still teach moral principles. If yours does not, find one that does.
Ive been to many different churches in my life, different denominations, the one thing that was consistent among all of them was, encouraging people to obey and be compliant citizens in the secular world.

If churches were really preaching obedience to Gods laws, etc. cities would be going to great lengths to shut churches down or refuse them permission to offer these services, in other words, they would be hated and despised.

( if someone, or a religious group is NOT hated, despised, persecuted....there is a reason why...think about it)

Christians are not supposed to support any kind of immorality, directly or indirectly, even though some of their tax money goes towards funding abortions, NO church would ever instruct their flock to not pay their taxes. Secular obedience comes first

Old 08-05-2018, 08:59 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,798,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
I think it’s more of a concern for the people of Islamic faith since modern day Christianity is based on “belief” only, and not on “works” (Believe in Jesus to be your savior and a red carpet welcome is awaiting you in the heavens) - while Islam is based on two items: “belief” is the Pre-requisite of doing good “works”, and abstaining from bad “works”.

In Islam, one MUST support his belief in the Islamic faith by trying his best to do “good works”, and try his best to avoid “bad works”, till his time is up.

A few of the “good works” that are THE MOST important ones but severely lack in many Muslims are,

Practicing Patience
Forgiving others
Staying clean of corruption etc

On the flip side of the coin, Islamic faith has a very positive effect on many Muslims who live their day to day life under the guidance of Islamic faith.
That is incorrect (bolded above).

Eph. 2:10

We are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality