Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 09:57 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,354,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
In my opinion, it would be absolutely ridiculous to assume that Earth holds the only people in the universe. Besides this, the book of Revelation insinuates there being very many Earths out there that are already filled with people.
The author of a book who wrote about possible answers to the Fermi Paradox I read explained how it might even be possible for no intelligent life to exist in our universe...although he was far from confident about that. At some point I'll come back to this thread and explain his reasoning. It'll be a few days though. I won't have access to the internet for a few days...and I often just don't come back to threads I've posted on due to sheer laziness anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 10:07 AM

23,165 posts, read 10,459,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
The author of a book who wrote about possible answers to the Fermi Paradox I read explained how it might even be possible for no intelligent life to exist in our universe...although he was far from confident about that. At some point I'll come back to this thread and explain his reasoning. It'll be a few days though. I won't have access to the internet for a few days...and I often just don't come back to threads I've posted on due to sheer laziness anyway.
Scientists also explained just how big the universe is, and just how much time has gone by.

They said if only 1 in a trillion planets orbiting a sun could form life, then so much time has gone by, and the universe is so big, that there has already been 4 billion earths that have had people, and then they lived so long that their earths died.

The universe is so vast that we can't get our head around it.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:15 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
We have no evidence of life beyond Earth. To say there must be life elsewhere is based on faith, not logic or common sense
I don't know about must but most scientists I have heard on this subjunctive talk about probabilities. To say that there must be life in the Universe based on probabilities is indeed based on logic and common sense. If life is a one in billion chance and there are twenty billion inhabipible planets then it would be logical that there is life somewhere else. The same way that we have no evidence that next year there will be lottery winners but probability indicates at least one person will win it.

Is there a religious or spirituality reason for life not existing other places in the Universe?

Old 06-28-2018, 10:18 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,354,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Scientists also explained just how big the universe is, and just how much time has gone by.

They said if only 1 in a trillion planets could form life, then so much time has gone by, and the universe is so big, that there has already been 4 billion earths that have had people, and then they lived so long that their earths died.

The universe is so vast that we can't get our head around it.
Those people are wrong. Life has to pass a series of challenges to arrive at intelligence, and we don't know how easy it is for each challenge to be passed. If you'll notice, the human lineage are the only users of extremely complex tools on Earth. Octopi don't have the lifespans or social skills to become as skilled of tool users as humans. Dolphins don't have the appendages and neither do birds. Elephants can be quite clever, and ambidextrous, but they don't need complex tools to survive. The brain consumes lots of energy, and instinct can often be more beneficial than tool use, at least until long after the species has developed complex tools. Cochroaches and microbes have shown, so far as I've seen, that while humans are doing very well now, the longest lasting and most numerous kinds of life were dumb as rocks. Brainy life are rarities that appear to form long after the simpler life has thrived for a long, long time, at least on Earth. I don't see brainy life so much as an improvement insofar as survivability of the species is concerned, so much as a bizarre mutation that happens to be able to survive decently.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:26 AM

23,165 posts, read 10,459,754 times
I still believe there are billions of earths full of people, but then I believe Revelation teaches this.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:44 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,066,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post

Is there a religious or spirituality reason for life not existing other places in the Universe?
No, but belief in a superior spiritual Being makes the subject irrelevant.
Believers are never alone. Why the drive to find something we dont need, proves nothing and adds nothing.
Did you ever look for keys you havnt lost?

This particular obsession for atheists may just be a cosmic thirst for God.
Evolution compels it.

Self assembly of organic molecules are sufficient proof that abiogenesis must occur when/where conditions are met. Do we need to spend billions to prove it?
Society thinks not.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:51 AM

50,833 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
No, but belief in a superior spiritual Being makes the subject irrelevant.
Believers are never alone. Why the drive to find something we dont need, proves nothing and adds nothing.
Did you ever look for keys you havnt lost?

This particular obsession for atheists may just be a cosmic thirst for God.
Evolution compels it.

Self assembly of organic molecules are sufficient proof that abiogenesis must occur when/where conditions are met. Do we need to spend billions to prove it?
Society thinks not.
See. See what you people do. I am so damn tired of hearing crap like that.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Pop science books are entertaining.
The fermi paradox is not much of a paradox, its assumptions are on shaky foundations.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
See. See what you people do. I am so damn tired of hearing crap like that.
We will adjust reality just for you.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I just read about a recent scientific discovery that says we may be alone in regards to life in the universe.

If this turns out to be true, does it mean that religious people are more in touch with the reality of the cosmos, by either their spirit or intuition, than those who have speculated about life existing outside our world?
You cannot discover a non existence.
Its an opinion.
Theists dont have a pony in this race.
Its a one handed clap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality