Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 01:32 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times

Advertisements

My cousin was a rabid fundamentalist Christian. She went to church twice a week, served in her church, proselytized like crazy about Jesus, raved about how beautiful heaven would be and how she longed to be with Jesus--the whole nine yards. Then she was diagnosed with cancer of the pancreas back in 2012 or so. The doctors didn't hold much hope but they could offer her chemo as a last-ditch effort. She readily agreed and did several rounds of chemo and when that failed and all they could offer her was a trial for a new drug being tested she begged to get into the trial. She had to withdraw after a few months because the drug was too harsh--it would have killed her quicker than the cancer. In all she fought the cancer for about eight months before accepting the inevitable.

It's always struck me strange that Christians, who love Jesus so much and long to be with Jesus are, when push comes to shove, never really in that big a hurry to meet him. Why is that, do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 01:43 PM

88,592 posts, read 84,838,467 times
"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die."

I remember an old guy with a paper cup singing that on the NYC subway while tapping out a beat with his cane decades ago.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:45 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
About the greatest gift life can bestow is to end when one is ready.

I'm quite certain Christians want to be with Jesus -- but later. No need to rush.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:48 PM

4,800 posts, read 2,803,401 times
Default It's hard to face distant possibilities in the here & now

Perhaps they only want to believe? We all know that we'll die one day, but once you're diagnosed with a malignant cancer that will kill you sooner rather than later, it's hard to take comfort in abstractions.

It's a human trait - we all know that the fossil fuels will run out one day (or more likely, become uneconomic to extract) - but we carry on just the same anyway. When we should be planning - oh, I don't know - to install massive amounts of nuclear power plants against that day.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:50 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
I'd rather live to 120 and serve God every day than to die at 45. Nothing wrong with wanting to serve God and leave a legacy.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:25 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,606,392 times
don't xians rot in the grave until jesus make his return?

Old 08-21-2018, 02:48 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I'd rather live to 120 and serve God every day than to die at 45. Nothing wrong with wanting to serve God and leave a legacy.
just the opposite of what Paulie said that is is FAR better to be with Christ...seems the above statement is a wee bit self-centered even more so than I BELIEVE IN JESUS JUST SO I CAN LIVE FOREVER....oh, and treat the marginalized like the fifthly vermin Jesus said they are...

Old 08-21-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
just the opposite of what Paulie said that is is FAR better to be with Christ...seems the above statement is a wee bit self-centered even more so than I BELIEVE IN JESUS JUST SO I CAN LIVE FOREVER....oh, and treat the marginalized like the fifthly vermin Jesus said they are...
Really? Have you actually read what Paul said? I do agree with him. I would like to go and be with Christ. I'm sure it would be wonderful. But I believe that he wants to use me on Earth.

Phil 1:23-26 "I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. 24 But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account. 25 Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all, for your progress and joy in the faith, 26 so that in me you may have ample cause to glory in Christ Jesus, because of my coming to you again."

As for any self-centeredness? You don't think that Paul was happy about living forever with Jesus?

Old 08-21-2018, 03:08 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
...As for any self-centeredness? You don't think that Paul was happy about living forever with Jesus?
However, unlike you, Paul never said anything about believing that other people were going to a hell of eternal torment.

Old 08-21-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
However, unlike you, Paul never said anything about believing that other people were going to a hell of eternal torment.
Have you read Romans? How about Ephesians? Both are pretty clear that non-believers are subject to God's wrath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality