Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2018, 04:22 PM

45,541 posts, read 27,152,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Wrong - I'd argue. it's about this life, and eternity can worry about itself. And it is subjective and dependent upon psychology - you hear from what is very evidently, your own brain, your own likes and dislikes, opinions and values.

This "God" changes His mind whenever you do.
You are just wrong. I am explaining plainly what the situation is. You, who does not know God or think there's a God, are telling me that I am wrong about my own experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 04:27 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You are just wrong. I am explaining plainly what the situation is. You, who does not know God or think there's a God, are telling me that I am wrong about my own experience.
No. You are wrong. I'm explaining not just what i believe, but what the evidence shows - God thinks the same as you do, even when you change your mond.

Well, of course I can't read your mind, but I Have seen this with other posters and so the evidence shows that God is in their head more than they thought. What's more, deconverts have Said that is what they realised had been happening. What's more - I have a voice in my head I can talk to, as well, but I know it's me.

So what I'm doing is suggesting that this is what you are doing, too. It's what the evidence indicates after all.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:31 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
In the Bible, it states He calls certain people. It's not because I am better or worse than anyone else.

The evidence that He has called a person is that the people spiritually hear Him and respond with faith in Him and His Son Jesus Christ.

God is constantly speaking - through the Bible... through other people... - He will hook up your spiritual antenna to hear Him, and you will know when you hear Him, and you will believe Him.

There are some who have heard God and walk away. He is still there with them.

There are some who say they have heard God, but never have.

God knows who He has called, and will deal with each person accordingly.
Yes, I'm very well aware of this. It's called Calvinism. It's the "U" of TULIP:

Total Depravity (also known as Total Inability and Original Sin)
Unconditional Election
Limited Atonement (also known as Particular Atonement)
Irresistible Grace
Perseverance of the Saints (also known as Once Saved Always Saved)

God plays favorites in who he chooses. Nobody can explain why he chooses this one for heaven and condemns this other one to hell when he never called them in the first place. Talk about the deck being stacked against you from the cradle! So you can't respond to god's grace because god never called you, and then at judgment you're sent to hell through no fault of your own, just god's capricious will. I mean there's a lot to hate about Christianity but that boner goes to the top of the list for sheer evil, which is probably why screwball extraordinaires, John MacArthur and John Piper pipe this crap every Sunday morning.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:34 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWrOgo3Qmmo

Old 09-14-2018, 05:03 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Calvinism is evil.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:54 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
I have never been one for digging into theology, but what little I heard of Calvinism seemed the extreme of the doctrine of 'Why bother? It's all been decided, anyway'. it's what every aspect of Christianity seems to run up against, whether predeterminism, UR or Faith, not works - striving to be good enough is pointless, because it will get you nowhere, in the end.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:23 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
This "God" changes His mind whenever you do.
I'm going to steal that one too.

Old 09-15-2018, 02:50 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Arq was a dyed-in-the-wool fundamentalist Christian once upon a midnight dreary, so ya can’t claim that he never believed...

Old 09-15-2018, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Yes, I'm very well aware of this. It's called Calvinism. It's the "U" of TULIP:

Total Depravity (also known as Total Inability and Original Sin)
Unconditional Election
Limited Atonement (also known as Particular Atonement)
Irresistible Grace
Perseverance of the Saints (also known as Once Saved Always Saved)

God plays favorites in who he chooses. Nobody can explain why he chooses this one for heaven and condemns this other one to hell when he never called them in the first place. Talk about the deck being stacked against you from the cradle! So you can't respond to god's grace because god never called you, and then at judgment you're sent to hell through no fault of your own, just god's capricious will. I mean there's a lot to hate about Christianity but that boner goes to the top of the list for sheer evil, which is probably why screwball extraordinaires, John MacArthur and John Piper pipe this crap every Sunday morning.
Calvinism is a rather dark philosophy...

Old 09-15-2018, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Yikes!...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality